Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- xbmcuser2000 - 2010-11-02

The log is the same as yours.

Code:
22:28:51 T:3078096768 M:2827673600   DEBUG: AddOnLog: xbmc.pvrclient/Tvheadend HTSP Client: cHTSPData::GetTime()
22:28:51 T:3078096768 M:2827673600   DEBUG: PVR: Tvheadend HTSP Client/127.0.0.1:9982 - Using a timezone difference of '60' minutes to correct EPG times
22:28:51 T:3078096768 M:2827673600  NOTICE: PVR: PVRManager started. Clients loaded = 1

Tvheadend was just updated: HTS Tvheadend SVN-r5558~odk2.

The EPG database was reloaded.

I have other PC with the last Gujs´s build and I have the same time problem with EPG (with the same log) but I have detected that in it the genre of the programs now are correct and the timeline is in color.

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-02

could you verify the timezone settings both on your server and your client(s) with
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
if you have to change the value, reboot your system afterwards before trying again and reload the EPG.
if the timezone in xbmc set correctly?

if it says it uses a difference of 60 minutes and you are in +0100, then you should get the correct values because tvheadend transmits the epg in gmt.

you're in the same timezone and you're using the same builds as me and my xbmc ubuntu image is about 2 hours old. you should see the same things as I do here

I don´t know what is happening. Tzdata and XBMC timezones are correctly configured. Tvheadend is in the same PC as XBMC. Would be usefull to have a option to manually configure the offset.

By updating XBMC to your last build and deleting the .xbmc directory the problem has been solved. Also the genre info of the programs is now available. Thanks.

I wonder if the patch commited by elupus to enable support for the EAC3 sound codec in trunk could be added to your PPA.

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/35114/trunk

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-02

xbmcuser2000 Wrote:By updating XBMC to your last build and deleting the .xbmc directory the problem has been solved. Also the genre info of the programs is now available. Thanks.
cool, though I wonder why it didn't work before after deleting the previous EPG data.

Quote:I wonder if the patch commited by elupus to enable support for the EAC3 sound codec in trunk could be added to your PPA.

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/35114/trunk
I'm currently building Dharma only on that ppa and that patch is not in Dharma. I'd like to provide a stable xbmc on my ppa and building from trunk is not a good option then.

I'll create another ppa for trunk builds later.

- Ruud - 2010-11-02

dushmaniac Wrote:if you were using an earlier version of my ppa packages, run /usr/bin/update-xbmc-dharma-pvr.sh before starting xbmc or pvr addons will fail to start. you should do this for every user that uses xbmc. you could also remove ~/.xbmc/userdata/Database/Addons.db.

Hi,

tested this morning and my EPG not only is on time again, it is also *very* colorful Wink
One thing I noticed though is that at the time of upgrading I had XBMC running, things didn't go as smooth as they should go.
update-xbmc-dharma-pvr.sh didn't do what it was supposed to do (ending in the tv plugin not being enabled > didn't work), so I ended up in manually removing the Addons.db (and Addons2.db?) and was able to enable the plugin again.

Thanks alot for fixing the issues!

Is it possible to as a first step in upgrading stop the running XBMC to avoid these kind off issues?

Regards,
Ruud.

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-02

Ruud Wrote:One thing I noticed though is that at the time of upgrading I had XBMC running, things didn't go as smooth as they should go.
update-xbmc-dharma-pvr.sh didn't do what it was supposed to do (ending in the tv plugin not being enabled > didn't work), so I ended up in manually removing the Addons.db (and Addons2.db?) and was able to enable the plugin again.
I'll make sure that xbmc will be stopped in a future version, but restarting xbmc after running that script should have done the trick.
Addons2.db is a leftover of pvr-testing2 and can be removed safely.

What happened is this: the addon database has a "database version" field. In pvr-testing2, the version was 12, but that version was also being used by dharma (both branch increased the number by 1). That's why I increased the database version indicator to 13. This way users can upgrade to the pvr version of xbmc without trouble.

My earlier packages expected that database version 12 already contained the pvr specific stuff. This last package expects version 12 to be a non-pvr database and tries to upgrade the version by adding a new table. Because this already exists upgrading will fail.

The little script just queries the database and sets the version to 13 if it's 12 and already contains pvr stuff.

- Ruud - 2010-11-02

dushmaniac Wrote:I'll make sure that xbmc will be stopped in a future version, but restarting xbmc after running that script should have done the trick.

Hi,
thanks for clearifing this.
restarting / rebooting didn't do the trick, so had to revert do deleting the Addons.db
regards,
Ruud.

Gmt? - Mike34 - 2010-11-02

xbmcuser2000 Wrote:The log is the same as yours.

Code:
22:28:51 T:3078096768 M:2827673600   DEBUG: AddOnLog: xbmc.pvrclient/Tvheadend HTSP Client: cHTSPData::GetTime()
22:28:51 T:3078096768 M:2827673600   DEBUG: PVR: Tvheadend HTSP Client/127.0.0.1:9982 - Using a timezone difference of '60' minutes to correct EPG times
22:28:51 T:3078096768 M:2827673600  NOTICE: PVR: PVRManager started. Clients loaded = 1

Tvheadend was just updated: HTS Tvheadend SVN-r5558~odk2.

The EPG database was reloaded.

I have other PC with the last Gujs´s build and I have the same time problem with EPG (with the same log) but I have detected that in it the genre of the programs now are correct and the timeline is in color.

I am in GMT and both my pc's are set the same so i don't need the 60 minutes offset. Is there a way i can change this?

Also on the channel list I'm not getting any program information but it does show in the epg?

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-02

You shouldn't get any offset if you're in GMT, unless tvheadend reports otherwise via http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/wiki/htsp#getSysTime

Did you clear your EPG database? If you did and it still doesn't work, stop xbmc, (re)move your .xbmc/userdata folder and start it again. Someone reported the clearing the EPG database didn't work for some reason. Haven't looked into that.

If, after removing the .xbmc/userdata folder, the timer is still off, please check your log and post the 3 lines after the first call to cHTSPData::GetTime()

Gmt - Mike34 - 2010-11-02

19:53:02 T:3077511040 M:942649344 DEBUG: AddOnLog: xbmc.pvrclient/Tvheadend HTSP Client: cHTSPData::GetTime()
19:53:02 T:3077511040 M:942649344 DEBUG: PVR: Tvheadend HTSP Client/138.149.254.10:9982 - Using a timezone difference of '60' minutes to correct EPG times
19:53:02 T:3077511040 M:942649344 NOTICE: PVR: PVRManager started. Clients loaded = 1
19:53:02 T:3027233648 M:942649344 DEBUG: thread start, auto delete: 0

Thats whats in my log after removing ~/.xbmc and restarting it

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-03

right, this is strange.

it only uses an offset if the local time and backend time are different (more than 30 minutes). those times will only be different if an offset is used and that will only be used if tvheadend tells us to use it.

the only other reason I can think of is that CDateTime::GetCurrentDateTime().GetAsTime(localTime); in xbmc returns something else than gettimeofday() which tvheadend uses.

I'll add some configurable offset correction later as someone suggested and will put the values that tvheadend reports in the log. that will solve these issues, even if one of the systems is configured incorrectly.

edit:
both have been implemented and been commited to git. new builds will follow later this week.

- fl0w - 2010-11-03

Hi, do you think Tvheadend could run on Apple TV (running Crystalbuntu)?

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-03

I'm not familiar with apple tv at all, but you're saying you're using a *buntu, so you meet requirement 1: run linux.
number 2: do you have (fully working) dvb drivers on there? see if the dvb tools work (cscan/tscan/...)
number 3: does your processor have sse or mmx support? cat /proc/cpuinfo. tvheadend uses it for the softcam decoding. if all your channels are free to air or if you have a working hardware cam, this won't be needed.
number 4: probably won't be a problem, but to be complete: is your hardware fast enough? an hd h264 is about 12mbit/s here and your hardware should be able to read/write that to your disk if you want to do recordings.

that's about all the requirements I can think of.

- fl0w - 2010-11-04

dushmaniac Wrote:I'm not familiar with apple tv at all, but you're saying you're using a *buntu, so you meet requirement 1: run linux.
number 2: do you have (fully working) dvb drivers on there? see if the dvb tools work (cscan/tscan/...)
number 3: does your processor have sse or mmx support? cat /proc/cpuinfo. tvheadend uses it for the softcam decoding. if all your channels are free to air or if you have a working hardware cam, this won't be needed.
number 4: probably won't be a problem, but to be complete: is your hardware fast enough? an hd h264 is about 12mbit/s here and your hardware should be able to read/write that to your disk if you want to do recordings.

that's about all the requirements I can think of.

Hi dushmaniac!
2: that shouldn't be a problem, I own an Avermedia Volar Black HD USB tuner (already tested on a PC running Ubuntu)
3: I got SSE, SSE2 and MMX support (Pentium M 1GHz). All channels will be free to air anyway.
4: I already run XBMC with Crystal HD support, so that should work.

Does Tvheadend use a lot of RAM?