Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? (/showthread.php?tid=52460)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- Hannes The Hun - 2009-07-05

how is the asrock connected to your plasma? are you using a surround receiver? what are the exact settings under audio hardware?

- seninha - 2009-07-05

Well, Like I already mentioned, Asrock is connected directlly to my Plasma by HDMI.
No receiver is used.

XBMC audio settings are:

Digital output
No AC3
No DTS
Output device hdmi
passtrough hdmi
Downmix ON

This setup ,lets me heard sound from MKV files , but gives a distorcion when watching DVD,or other non HD movie.

Analogic output
No AC3
No DTS
Output device hdmi
passtrough hdmi
Downmix ON

Non HD movies (DVD,AVI ) works great.But no sound available when watching .MKV (movie converted from WMVHD)

This last also makes it able to listen to music , but problem is speed of sound. Song plays to FAST :o

- Hannes The Hun - 2009-07-05

try changing to

Audio Output: Digital
AC3: Off
DTS: Off
Audio Capable Device: plughw:0,3
Passthrough Output Device: hdmi
Downmix: On

- Starstream - 2009-07-05

seninha Wrote:3-I can only set the resolution to 1280x720 when connected to my Panasonic TH-42PV70 HD ready Plasma.
If I choose 1080i the image expands to much.(looks like is 1,5 times bigger then my TV screen)
Again, when I use my Xbox I can set resolution to 1080i without any problem

Not sure maybe down to the fact your TV's internal resolution is 1024x768 & any 720/1080 signal is scaled by the TV, could be some sort of conflict between the the TV and XBMC.

Try setting the resolution as 1920x1080 @ 50Hz or 60Hz if you have the option instead of the 1080i setting.

- ultrabrutal - 2009-07-05

I can't get it to work on my Asrock ION 330 Sad

xbmc@Stuen:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1

xbmc@Stuen:~$ aplay -L
default:CARD=NVidia
HDA NVidia, VT1708S Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, VT1708S Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
HDMI Audio Output
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

Testing sound via HDMI:

xbmc@Stuen:~$ speaker-test -D hdmi -c2

speaker-test 1.0.18

Playback device is hdmi
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 8192
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
^C

Nothing is heard or received by receiver (Onkyo 876).

Inside XBMC I have tried a shitload of different options for audio hardware. No output at all Sad

In Alsamixer I have turned up PCM to 100%:

Code:
┌──────────────────[AlsaMixer v1.0.18 (Press Escape to quit)]──────────────────┐
│ Card: HDA NVidia                                                             │
│ Chip: Generic 10de NVIDIA MCP7A HDMI                                         │
│ View: [Playback] Capture  All                                                │
│ Item: PCM [dB gain=0.00, 0.00]                                               │
│                                                                              │
│    ┌──┐     ┌──┐      ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐                                 │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │  │     │  │                                 │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │  │     │  │                                 │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │  │     │  │                                 >
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │  │     │  │                                 >
│    ├──┤     └──┘      ├──┤     ├──┤     ├──┤      ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐     │
│    │OO│               │OO│     │MM│     │MM│      │OO│     │OO│     │OO│     │
│    └──┘               └──┘     └──┘     └──┘      └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     │
│  100<>100 100<>100  100<>100   0<>0     0<>0                                 │
│  Master F<  PCM   >  Front     Line     Mic      IEC958  IEC958 D IEC958 1   │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
I just did a minimal juanty install and there is no pulseaudio (even tried to uninstall it anyways). Have not tried XBMC live.

Any ideas guys? Another story is that 24 fps does not work for me either. When pressing 'z' it says 1920x1080p@24, but the Pioneer LCD says it receives 1920x1080p@50, so I have lots of judder. I need to try to bypass receiver just to make sure it's not the cause of trouble for this.

- seninha - 2009-07-05

Hannes The Hun Wrote:try changing to

Audio Output: Digital
AC3: Off
DTS: Off
Audio Capable Device: plughw:0,3
Passthrough Output Device: hdmi
Downmix: On

Perfect.This solved the problem.
Music plays now a normal way, and now I can watch DVD's and MKV without any prblem.Big Grin

Next step now is getting my Harmony 785 to work.
When that;s done I can give the kids the Xbox for use in their room

no sound - takashi - 2009-07-05

Yeap I also just bought a ION 330 and installed all the
drivers it came with, hooked it up to my new Toshiba TV
via HDMI and no sound. Any help out there? I the reason I
bought this thing was to watch movies on my harddrive.

Help....

- Starstream - 2009-07-05

I also use a Logitech remote (Harmony One) if you don't care about mods and just want it to work with basic commands set the remote to work as an Xbox or a Windows media center extender and XBMC will respond no other changes necessary. You may also want to look at XBMC mappings to extender or Xbox remote.

If you go into in XBMC go into Settings->System->Shutdown and change the action to suspend when you power off on the Logitech remote it will put the Asrock 330 into sleep and can be woken up when selecting XBMC/Xbox activity on your remote.

Oh and if using sleep there is an X on screen issue you will come across there is a solution in first page of this thread post number 2.

- rotoava - 2009-07-05

I have a slightly different problem.

Sound is working with HDMI, but I would like to have sound via HDMI and as well over the analog output to my stereo. This works under ubuntu with some changes to .asoundrc and setting up a multi output.

But I can't seem to see how to set up XBMC to use this as well. Either HDMI output or analog output is working, but not both. With some settings I can get 'noise' out of both but not sound wanted.

Couldn't find something with searches, but maybe I am missing something ?

- hackyli - 2009-07-07

How do you connect your Harmony One to the ASRock? Which USB-Adapter do you use?

- Starstream - 2009-07-07

I used the Microsoft Windows media center remote package that comes with a USB IR receiver that works out of the box with XBMC Live.

All you have to do after that with the Harmony One is to add an extender or xbox in the software and then setup a new activity around that.

With the Harmony One that are various methods to modify so you can enable more functionality like here or here but I havent tried them myself. I wonder if Logitech can be bugged enough to add proper XBMC support.

- seninha - 2009-07-07

I do use the Philips OVU4003 IR USB receiver.
About my problem,I configurated the remote inside Harmony software as a MS extender and now it works Big Grin

Only found twothings that are not working well.
First of all, when I pause a movie and want to continue the I need to play Pause again.
If I press play (like I was use to do with my Xbox) then information of playing file is showed (format,resolution etc etc)

Second:
When using my Xbox with the same hamrony, when I press Guide I do get the menu where I can erase,copy ,paste a file. But also add a song to a play list.

I tried different things inside the Harmony software but none of those action makes this screen pop up.

Just dont know what configuration I need to give the GUIDE button to show this menu.

About playing movies.
I notice that some MKV HD movies are not playing very smooth.
For example, I started the movie EARTH
At the beginning you see the eart comming from the right and going to left.
You just CAN see that this is not going smooth as it should.

Already have the latest Nvidia drivers installed.CPU is between 5 and 10% when playing this file, so that means that GPU is doing the job.

- Starstream - 2009-07-07

Not all the kinks have been worked out yet in VDPAU there might be a 9.04.2 release that addresses performance.

As for the remote yeah the extender/xbox mappings to Logitech buttons take a little getting used to.

What you do is check the mappings to see what extender button does what and then shift them about a bit in the Logitech software which is what I did.
Global
Full screen video

For example the extender green jewel button brings up the XBMC OSD so I remapped that to "Menu" button on the remote.
I mapped the extender "back" button to the "prev" Logitech button.
I mapped the extender "i - more/info" button to the "info" Logitech button.
I mapped the extender "guide" button to the touch screen renamed as show subtitles button.

I left the videos/pictures/music as buttons on the touch screen.

Edit: seninha not sure but you way want to try the extender play or info command as the one for bringing up the context menu when in the XBMC user interface. The play button on the media center extender remote brings up the codec info when playing content and context menu when in XBMC user interface, the "OK" button is the one which plays content.

- seninha - 2009-07-08

OK: Did some changings on the Harmony software.

For Play (on remote) I took OK from the MCE software.
But now When I press Play the image size changes instead of resuming the movie after pausing it.

Also changed Guide to Subtitle (in the software) but that does not give me the results that I want.
I just want to have,after pressing Guide,the Context Menu.Same that you get after pressing right mouse button.
Here you can choose different option (copy,paste,delete...)

Also tried to do some changings in de KEYMAP.XML, but somehow I do not have this file on my XBMC live:confused2:
I already made all hidden files available on Filezille but when I enter XBMC/Userdata there is no keymap??

- Ronald Pagan - 2009-07-08

Hi, noob question sorry.

Just bought an ASRock ion 330 from Canada Computers. So far I think it's really awesome, using XBMC Live for the first time, way less buggy than the Windows version.

My question is that I boot from my USB flash drive and that's all well and good, however I get a boot screen asking me if I want to install with nvidia drivers, ati drivers, and safemodes. Is there a way to just get it to boot up with nvidia drivers and avoid this unnecessary bootscreen?