Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? (/showthread.php?tid=52460)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- dke1 - 2009-08-01

Sorry to disturb all you linux geniuses, but seriously... how the hell do i get my network card to work? I've installed xbmc live with the nvidia drivers (downloaded from rapidshare) and system does recognize my ION chipset. However my network card (eth0?) is greyed out. Whats the deal with that? Can i manually force IP somewhere else since the gui is greyed out, or isn't even my network card installed? What did i miss here??

- buckfaster - 2009-08-01

Hi,
Sorry, but I am a complete Linux noob.
How do I get to see my XBMC.log file.
I've tried searching for XBMC.log and also tried going opening /tmp/XBMC.log in the text editor.
I have debugging enabled in XBMC.
Problem is that when playing a particular video file, the video is scrambled.
Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9LRLSJg3Do

Also, since today when I boot up, there is 3 different kernel versions of Ubuntu, why are there 3 there? I only want one. How do I remove two of them?
bootup video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSVd2B41Fv0

Thanks for any help.

edit; please excuse my ignorance. I managed to find the xbmc.log file and here it is, if someone could make sense of it?
I'm not sure if I should delete it and recreate the problem with the file or will it do as it is? Anyway here it is.
http://pastebin.com/m70a277c5

edit2; Another problem has cropped up; when watching clockwork orange, in windowed mode, when i switched to full screen, XBMC crashed/closed.
Here is the log for that:
http://pastebin.com/m2e588dee

Thanks

- DEagleson - 2009-08-02

I dont know if this would be of any help but this is how i got my ASRock Ion 330 box running Ubuntu 9.04 and XBMC with working audio over hdmi.

First i started with a clean install of Ubuntu 9.04 x86 and then updated it with "Update Manager".
Then i downloaded the latest Nvidia driver package and installed it by following the steps written in the XBMCbuntu guide.
Once rebooted i started upgrading ALSA to latest version with the help of this nice guide. Wink
Also read about what to write in the .asoundrc from this other page that i found while googling.
Then i installed latest "stable" version of XBMC and made the audio output digital and wrote "hdmi" in both devices.

Im pretty amazed that a fresh linux newb like myself pulled this off, but now i enjoy watching HD on my plasma screen and could finally retire my old softmodded Xbox.

- SubSense - 2009-08-02

dke1 Wrote:Sorry to disturb all you linux geniuses, but seriously... how the hell do i get my network card to work? I've installed xbmc live with the nvidia drivers (downloaded from rapidshare) and system does recognize my ION chipset. However my network card (eth0?) is greyed out. Whats the deal with that? Can i manually force IP somewhere else since the gui is greyed out, or isn't even my network card installed? What did i miss here??

I think this is because an permission issue. XBMC is not running under the root account so you can not access/change the Network Interface.

Try the following:

ssh to XBMC with putty
Type: (Without quote's) "sudo vim /etc/network/interfaces"
Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Something like this should be in there

Change to:
Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.42
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.1.1

I haven't tested this!!

- SubSense - 2009-08-02

I've tested The Killa Sample, "Earth" Bird Scene.
And I must say it runs slightly better on the popcornhour PCH-A100.

- Starstream - 2009-08-02

dke1 Wrote:Sorry to disturb all you linux geniuses, but seriously... how the hell do i get my network card to work? I've installed xbmc live with the nvidia drivers (downloaded from rapidshare) and system does recognize my ION chipset. However my network card (eth0?) is greyed out. Whats the deal with that? Can i manually force IP somewhere else since the gui is greyed out, or isn't even my network card installed? What did i miss here??

Do you own an Asrock Ion 330 (not some other Ion product) as XBMC Live should work without any changes assuming you downloaded the modded 9.04.1 release with the updated Nvidia drivers in this thread. Network should work regardless too, I'd double check your cable connection or replace it.

- SubSense - 2009-08-02

Starstream Wrote:Do you own an Asrock Ion 330 (not some other Ion product) as XBMC Live should work without any changes assuming you downloaded the modded 9.04.1 release with the updated Nvidia drivers in this thread. Network should work regardless too, I'd double check your cable connection or replace it.

Not True.

I'm using the ASrock + XBMC live + latest Nvidia drivers and my network settings are also greyed out. I'll try the workaround I've posted.

- SubSense - 2009-08-02

Tested and ik works. I've edited the file with notepad2 using Filezilla.

This is currently my file

/etc/network/interfaces

Code:
# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.15
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

- motd2k - 2009-08-02

9.04.1 XBMCLive will give you terrible performance, you'll find the UI will give you a max of 30fps so everything is jerky. I'd recommend updating your 9.04.1 to the latest svn version, there's howto on this if you search the forum.

motd

- SubSense - 2009-08-02

Thanks, I'll will look into the SVN upgrade.
Didn't know you could also upgrade the Live version!

tried to upgrade to latest SVN with help from a few tuts.
But I keep getting this message:

Code:
(T: XBMCLive)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

sudo dpkg --configure -a doesn't help...

- Starstream - 2009-08-03

SubSense Wrote:Not True.

I'm using the ASrock + XBMC live + latest Nvidia drivers and my network settings are also greyed out. I'll try the workaround I've posted.

Well thats weird, why does it work for some and not others ?

Are Asrock using different network chips in the system ?

- SubSense - 2009-08-03

Starstream Wrote:Well thats weird, why does it work for some and not others ?

Are Asrock using different network chips in the system ?

I Don't think so.

Soon I will install a fresh xbmc Live distro on the harddisk.
I will let you know what I see in the network settings.

Still lokking voor the advantage to install minimal ubuntu vs. the Live cd..
I still have to make this choice....

- dke1 - 2009-08-08

The network wasn't really an issue, i didn't know i had to manually configure to get static ip, should have read the guide better.

I however have found an issue running Asrock ION 330 on a LG PG6000 50" Television. This television has a native resolution of 1366x768 which cannot be selected in the XBMC>appearance>screen gui. I've applied the DynamicTwinView fix to the xorg.conf and that did give me more resolutions to choose from, but still not the native one i'm looking for.

How can i manually configure XBMC to have the resolution i want? The reason i wish to do this is because my TV has certain picture options that makes the picture a lot better when the correct resolution is applied to it.

Thanks for the help!

- Eicar - 2009-08-10

Does anyone know what version of HDMI the ION330 support? I guess it's not 1.3. What about the possible sampling frequencies on the hdmi port. Will it play multichannel wav files in 24bit 192khz without any resampling?
I guess the platform will never be able to bitstream DTS-MA or TrueHD as it would require hdmi 1.3a and PAP. However if lpcm is supported up to 7.1 (24 bit and 192khz) then it wouldn't be a problem since the DTS-MA could be decoded by the CPU. (When there's an open-source DTS-MA / TrueHD decoder that is.)

Anyone?

- butchjr - 2009-08-10

The HDMI port is 1.3a