Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? (/showthread.php?tid=52460)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- Bahndit - 2009-06-18

>>X<<' Wrote:I think your referring to THIS which was effecting nvidia iGPUs under Linux and which has now been added to the latest SVN Big Grin

Yep, thats what I'm talking about. Glad to hear that it is in the SVN PPA's now Nod

-Will

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2009-06-18

Bahndit Wrote:Yep, thats what I'm talking about. Glad to hear that it is in the SVN PPA's now Nod

-Will

From reading that thread I posted the link to its not in the PPA yet ?

Not that I know the difference Rolleyes

- needmorstuff - 2009-06-19

duplu Wrote:Updated bootable ISO with restrictedDrivers.NVIDIA.185_18_14

http://www.fusedimages.com/xbmc.zip

Edit: Snap! talk about timing duplu LOL.[/quote]

thanks - this worked 2nd time when I burnt to a dvd.. cd didn't work. showing ion gpu now.

Difference between SVN and SVN PPA - Bahndit - 2009-06-19

>>X<<' Wrote:From reading that thread I posted the link to its not in the PPA yet ?

Not that I know the difference Rolleyes

Oh my bad.
Anyway, the difference between SVN and SVN PPA's:
SVN means that you download the source code to XBMC and compile it yourself, then install it.

The PPA's are pre-compiled for you and you just download and install them. As far as XBMC goes there are two different PPA's available. There is what is considered the 'stable' PPA's which are updated with each official release of XBMC (about every six months) and then the SVN PPA's which are updated regularly to follow the changes that have taken place in XBMC's code.

It is not always recommended to use the SVN unless you are willing to put up with problems that can result from following the "Bleeding Edge." But if you are willing to take the risk you get the advantage of being able to take advantage of fixes and new features right away, like Gnif's patch that fixes a problem with starting XBMC in fullscreen that results in significant performance increases on iGPU's (like the 9400M found in ION boards).

Well I hope that is useful information to you Wink

-Bahndit

- Starstream - 2009-06-19

asrock Wrote:Has anyone tried using linux mint instead of ubuntu, with xbmc on top ? Was thinking about trying it today since i cant get my asrock to output sound via hdmi, not in ubuntu, not anywhere :/

Under XBMC Live if you set
audio output device = hdmi
passthrough output device = hdmi

Then you will hear audio over HDMI when playing content but you wont hear any audio in the XBMC user interface.

From that other thread there might be a 9.04.2 release inbound with the IGP patch which is great.

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2009-06-19

Bahndit Wrote:Oh my bad.
Anyway, the difference between SVN and SVN PPA's:
SVN means that you download the source code to XBMC and compile it yourself, then install it.

The PPA's are pre-compiled for you and you just download and install them. As far as XBMC goes there are two different PPA's available. There is what is considered the 'stable' PPA's which are updated with each official release of XBMC (about every six months) and then the SVN PPA's which are updated regularly to follow the changes that have taken place in XBMC's code.

It is not always recommended to use the SVN unless you are willing to put up with problems that can result from following the "Bleeding Edge." But if you are willing to take the risk you get the advantage of being able to take advantage of fixes and new features right away, like Gnif's patch that fixes a problem with starting XBMC in fullscreen that results in significant performance increases on iGPU's (like the 9400M found in ION boards).

Well I hope that is useful information to you Wink

-Bahndit

Thanks M8 nice to have a reminder stopped using linux quite a while back and its surprising how quickly you forget Rolleyes

- asrock - 2009-06-19

Starstream Wrote:Under XBMC Live if you set
audio output device = hdmi
passthrough output device = hdmi

Then you will hear audio over HDMI when playing content but you wont hear any audio in the XBMC user interface.

From that other thread there might be a 9.04.2 release inbound with the IGP patch which is great.

Thanks for the input mate.
I have linux mint and ubuntu installed on my asrock in dualboot, but still havent managed to get sound via hdmi. Im currently running xbmc live from a memstick, works great, sound over hdmi and all. Smile

- Popup - 2009-06-20

Asrock ION330 with the "NEWXBMC" image....published in this thread.

I have now tested my ASRock ION330 with this unofficial release using the HDMI for picture output and I´m disappointed on the quality of the picture. I have an Samsung S97 50" plasma screen and my HDX 1000 NMT player delivers a much better picture quality.

I will tire using VGA and DVI input on the S97 to see if that is making any deferens, if that isn´t do it I will test it with Windows 7 Media Center.

I have tried the ION330 with XP Pro with XBMC and it is way to slow, even when just navigating in the menus it is slow, it seems like it is the pictures in the skins that is causing it.

- Popup - 2009-06-20

Follow up on bad picture quality on ASRock ION330......

I have now tested using the VGA output and it´s better but not as good as the picture from the HDX 1000 NMT Player.....

It ‘might be so that the drivers in not yet optimized for Linux use.

I will try the hardware with the Windows 7 Media Center and the original Nvidia drivers tonight.

Over and out:-)

- Hannes The Hun - 2009-06-20

[QUOTE=Popup;355216

I have now tested my ASRock ION330 with this unofficial release using the HDMI for picture output and I´m disappointed on the quality of the picture. I have an Samsung S97 50" plasma screen and my HDX 1000 NMT player delivers a much better picture quality[/quote]

hmmmm I can see your point, but only when playing SD-material. I had an HDX1000 before the acer revo and am glad I threw it to ebay, the HD quality is at least on par with what these popcorn hour devices could do.
still, SD material looked better using a sigma-based player with HDMI. tried to play around with post-processing filters in XBMC but am still not very familiar with these, especially as they need some CPU power which my small atom 230 doesn't deliver.
so, is it the overall picture quality you are talking about, or do you mean specific files/formats?

- Popup - 2009-06-22

Hannes The Hun Wrote:hmmmm I can see your point, but only when playing SD-material. I had an HDX1000 before the acer revo and am glad I threw it to ebay, the HD quality is at least on par with what these popcorn hour devices could do.
still, SD material looked better using a sigma-based player with HDMI. tried to play around with post-processing filters in XBMC but am still not very familiar with these, especially as they need some CPU power which my small atom 230 doesn't deliver.
so, is it the overall picture quality you are talking about, or do you mean specific files/formats?

It is the picture quality when playback content, I have tested with DVD-Ripps = ISO images and also some downloaded Xvid. The only thing that looks good is the graphics in the skin, menues, pictures in the skin etc.

I have now installed Windows 7 and will connect it to the screen today.

- ValHarris - 2009-06-22

Hi everyone,

i tested my new ASROCK Ion last weekend with limited success. The performance under Win XP was limited, so i tested out the XBMC-Live version. I downloaded the latest build and the NVidia drivers and created a bootable USB version containing the latest drivers.

However i still observe multiple problems :
Audio over HDMI gives me only a accustic noise when connected to a LCD-TV (Sony Bravia) I typed "HDMI" in both fields in the audio setup.
When i run a MPeg4 Video File or a DVD on 1080p the performance is not good (VDPAU enabled) I still have a jerky performance. May this is a problem with the live version from the usb stick ?
I don´t have access to the HDD drive. There is still the window installation on it, is this the problem ?

Kind Regards
ValHarris

- Caligo - 2009-06-22

Have you remembered to set shared graphics memory to 512mb in bios?

- Hannes The Hun - 2009-06-22

type "hdmi" instead or use "plug:0,3"; also don't forget to enable stereo downmixing

as for the performance, the most important thing when you get the dreaded stuttering/buffering problem, enable 512MB shared GPU RAM. also, the 9.04.1 Live build has a performance bug that was fixed in the meantime in the newest SVN PPA and is missing the newest nvidia driver.
I'd recommend either waiting for XBMC Live 9.04.2 or installing via the XBMCbuntu route.

- Popup - 2009-06-22

Popup Wrote:It is the picture quality when playback content, I have tested with DVD-Ripps = ISO images and also some downloaded Xvid. The only thing that looks good is the graphics in the skin, menues, pictures in the skin etc.

I have now installed Windows 7 and will connect it to the screen today.

After tests with using XBMC om Windows 7 I can say that the picture quality is much better with the NVIDIA full driver installation. Playback an ISO file gives good picture quality but when playback 720p files the problems occurs.
The movie hacks and the playback is not smooth.