Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? (/showthread.php?tid=52460)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- Popup - 2009-06-22

Hannes The Hun Wrote:type "hdmi" instead or use "plug:0,3"; also don't forget to enable stereo downmixing

as for the performance, the most important thing when you get the dreaded stuttering/buffering problem, enable 512MB shared GPU RAM. also, the 9.04.1 Live build has a performance bug that was fixed in the meantime in the newest SVN PPA and is missing the newest nvidia driver.
I'd recommend either waiting for XBMC Live 9.04.2 or installing via the XBMCbuntu route.

Any dates for XBMC Live 9.04.2?

- >>X<< - 2009-06-23

Popup Wrote:After tests with using XBMC om Windows 7 I can say that the picture quality is much better with the NVIDIA full driver installation. Playback an ISO file gives good picture quality but when playback 720p files the problems occurs.
The movie hacks and the playback is not smooth.

You need hardware acceleration for HD content so the GPU does all the decoding CPU cant handle it on its own

That means using XBMC linux which has VDPAU or launching an external player using something like CoreAVC with CUDA enabled (but you would need XP or Vista for that to function correctly)

Your wasting your time trying to play 720p or 1080p without any hardware acceleration, that's the only reason the ION platform is attractive to XBMC users because of hardware acceleration by the GPU on 720p and 1080p content

- Hannes The Hun - 2009-06-23

Popup Wrote:After tests with using XBMC om Windows 7 I can say that the picture quality is much better with the NVIDIA full driver installation. Playback an ISO file gives good picture quality but when playback 720p files the problems occurs.
The movie hacks and the playback is not smooth.

the windows XBMC doesn't use DXVA at the moment

also, I can't see any difference in video quality playing HD material in XBMCbuntu or win7 (MPC HC) Oo

SD material might look a bit better in win7 because of some post-processing filters though

- checco10 - 2009-06-24

Caligo Wrote:Have you remembered to set shared graphics memory to 512mb in bios?

Please Caligo can you step by step how to enable graphics memory to 512mb in the bios...? sorry but i dont know very good the bios, and i'm afraid to do wrong..!
tanks

- ValHarris - 2009-06-24

I resolved the Audio issue so Autio over HDMI is working now, thanks for help.

However, i still have problems to play a DVD smooth on my ASROCK using XBMC Live.

I have the SVN-R20654 Version with the latest NVidia Drivers on a bootable USB-Stick, VDPAU enabled. The system run with 1920 × 1080@50Hz (LCD_TV). When i look at the system performance while running the DVD is says that the CPU load is at about 30%.

I consider to give my ASROCk back, because of this performance issue.. has anyone any ideas what i can test to solve this ?

- Starstream - 2009-06-24

checco10 Wrote:Please Caligo can you step by step how to enable graphics memory to 512mb in the bios...? sorry but i dont know very good the bios, and i'm afraid to do wrong..!
tanks

Press F2 on keyboard at startup (keep pressing if unsure till it gets into bios)

Use the arrow keys to navigate the menus and go to "advanced" section.

The go into "chipset configuration" submenu.

The go to "Share Memory" and select 512MB. Now go to "Exit" screen and save and exit.

ASRock ION 330 with Ubuntu Remix and XBMC (No sound via HDMI) - hackyli - 2009-06-24

I read the forum up and down but can't find any answers. Maybe others out there will have the same problem, as the ASRock ION 330 is a very good plattform for XBMC.

The Setup:
I installed a basic Setup with Ubuntu Remix 9.04 on my ASRock. Run all updates and then I also installed the lates Nvidia Drivers and the latest XBMC. Everything so far works fine.

The Problem:
I can't get any Sound via HDMI to my receiver. I tested everything mentioned in the forum but no sound.

If I boot XBMC LIVE CD and change XBMC Audio Settings to "hdmi" everything works perfect. So it must be possible to get sound via HDMI, but I don't know how.

I'm a linux newbie. Is there anyone out there who has the same configuration an got HDMI-Sound working? Can you please provide a Step-by-Step HowTo for activating the sound via HDMI?

- trojanfoe - 2009-06-24

Are you sure your receiver decodes audio via HDMI?

Edit: that was a stupid question, given you say it works from the Live CD. Sorry!

- Maxim - 2009-06-24

Try removing pulseaudio.

See this thread for the reason:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53382

- b00sted4fun - 2009-06-24

set the xbmc options to default/default and try this in ur .asoundrc

Code:
pcm.!default {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "hw:0,3"
}
}

It is what I have setup on my ion board... I know diff brands but does not hurt to try eh?

- uomiarz - 2009-06-24

use this script to get install latest alsa, then set it to hdmi and you should be all set
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810#post6589810

- Hannes The Hun - 2009-06-24

that's why I'd rather not use ubuntu NBR for an XBMC installation

as stated before, first get rid of pulseaudio, and then it *should* work by using "hdmi" or "hw:0,3" as output device. else, you'll also have to install latest ALSA via the script.

- checco10 - 2009-06-24

Starstream Wrote:Press F2 on keyboard at startup (keep pressing if unsure till it gets into bios)

Use the arrow keys to navigate the menus and go to "advanced" section.

The go into "chipset configuration" submenu.

The go to "Share Memory" and select 512MB. Now go to "Exit" screen and save and exit.

many tanks i'll do

- trojanfoe - 2009-06-24

medicineuk Wrote:The command that Starstream was looking for to shutdown Xserver is
Code:
sudo pkill X

That seems a bit crude. Better is to get to a tty (Ctrl-Alt-F1, F2, etc) and login and then get to root then go to init level 3 (full system without X server):

Code:
# telinit 3

Update the driver (using the package from Nvidia or installing by other means) and then go back to init level 5 (full system with X server):

Code:
# telinit 5

or by rebooting:

Code:
# telinit 6

- medicineuk - 2009-06-24

Starstream Wrote:Thanks for that >>X<< it seems to be the root of the problem, unfortunately I lack the linux experience to correct it in XBMC Live.

I tried booting the ubuntu live disc so I could find the /etc/x11/xf86config-4 file on XBMC Live HD but only found the /etc/x11 folder without that file. I took a guess that xorg.conf is the equivalent and tried to edit it by adding "HWCursor" "false" but it would not let me save the changes saying I did not have proper permissions.

@Starstream did you ever fix your X cursor problem. I am now having the same issue and can't seem to fix it. Do you think you could post your xorg.conf file, if that was the file that need editing.