Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? (/showthread.php?tid=52460)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- Scruffie - 2009-06-25

Starstream Wrote:medicineuk - yeah the solution is post number 2 Big Grin

fdrzrich - interesting, I'll give it a spin and see what happens.

Edit: Okay just flashed the 1.40 bios and you now have a fan control menu with 6 options ranging from auto and then level 1-5 in terms of fixed fan speeds with ultrasilent being the lowest. I'm still happy with the auto setting.

I'm close to buying one of these too. Was a bit worried about the fan noise, i read in another post somewhere that it was as loud as an xbox360 which really put me off. Surely this inst the case even on auto fan?

Does xbmc live support wake on usb (for use with an ir remote) or is that juat a system function independent of the OS?

Is there any problem dual booting xbmc live and windows xp\7?
Thanks!

- Hannes The Hun - 2009-06-25

did you already try this fix for HDMI audio: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=356243&postcount=59

it's plughw:0,3 or just plug:0,3

- fdrzrich - 2009-06-25

Scruffie Wrote:Does xbmc live support wake on usb (for use with an ir remote) or is that juat a system function independent of the OS?

According to this is does...I've been trying to find out too before buying today!
http://a8t8.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2518DD508BB713E8!804.entry

- Starstream - 2009-06-25

Scruffie Wrote:I'm close to buying one of these too. Was a bit worried about the fan noise, i read in another post somewhere that it was as loud as an xbox360 which really put me off. Surely this inst the case even on auto fan?

Does xbmc live support wake on usb (for use with an ir remote) or is that juat a system function independent of the OS?

Is there any problem dual booting xbmc live and windows xp\7?
Thanks!

The unit is quiet with the latest bios update installed*.

XBMC Live supports wake on USB and the Asrock Ion 330 supports wake on USB, I use the Microsoft MCE IR USB receiver + remote and it works perfectly.

Tip In XBMC go into Settings->System->Shutdown and change shutdown action to suspend so the power button on the remote puts it to sleep.

As for dual booting I do not know but I think its possible someone else more knowledgeable can hopefully fill in the details.

* The original 1.0 bios had one of the fans making an odd noise that bothered some it was not as loud as an Xbox 360 but not as quiet as a PS3, with the new bios update personally I'd say its now closer to the PS3 in terms of noise output (mine is sitting in an AV speaker stand so its not sitting out in the open).

- checco10 - 2009-06-25

checco10 Wrote:ok naw i install the older version 9.04.1 without new nvidia drivers, i hope that
i fix my problem
tanks

for installing the older version 9.04.01, i have to do the same laike the new version,
i burn the iso image, i change in the bios boot with cdrom and i install xbmclive on the hard disk asrock330....or i have to do some different installation?
please, tanks.

sounds right to me

- hackyli - 2009-06-25

Thanks. That's it.

I got HDMI Sound Nod

- DarthV - 2009-06-25

I still can't get 1080p/24 to work, but I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it. I'd imagine I just need to work on some modelines. Right now if I add the Option "DynamicTwinView" "false" in the X config, it doesn't switch resolution. It literally squishes the screen Wink

white mouse arrow on resume - Kryspy - 2009-06-25

I too have the ASrock ION 330 and it is a little quiter than my 80 GB PS3 was.

Problem I have is that when coming back from suspend there is a white mouse arrow in the middle of the screen as if XBMC isn't on top.

If I close XBMC and restart it all is fixed. Any solution to this Huh

I tried the XBMClive fix but I get a error on startup about the xorg.conf and have to reload the default.

Kryspy

- mkortstiege - 2009-06-25

search function .. see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53428

- Starstream - 2009-06-25

Kryspy - see page 1 of this thread post number 2 for solution. If your getting an error then your doing something wrong I think.

DarthV - is that under XBMC Live ? it should work after you enable the adjust refresh rate in XBMC.

- thescorp - 2009-06-25

Picture is fine now for me, but the sound seems to be another matter:

**@adriele:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
Subdevices: 2/2
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1

So that seems fine I guess. But then doing this;

********@adriele:~$ speaker-test -Dplughw:0,3 -c2

speaker-test 1.0.18

Playback device is plughw:0,3
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 8192
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 5.633431
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
^C

And as far as I can tell, that seems ok. But still, no sound Sad Ill try the script thingie now. There is one thing I notice when checking alsamixer tho, and that is that I cant actually mute, or umute PCM.

A little sidenote tho, I know my reciever handles sound and video over hdmi, as the popcorn hour i had was connected like that.

Hackily: Could you take a picture of how your alsamixer looks?

Tested with xbmc live now, and set it to hdmi and no problem at all. Well, there was some sound lag on some of the series, but the music went totally fine. I dont get it. I also tried removing all the pulsepackages, but sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio* told me I had none installed apparantly. I am lost. So any help on how to make ALSA the default "thingie" for sound would be awesome, preferably with a way to disable pulseaudio if it is infact that causing it.

IT WORKS! YEY!

For anyone else having this trouble on their asrock ion 330 (or similars) try replacing both the passthrough and that other thingie where it says default to plug:hdmi

No need to run any updatescripts for alsa either, no need for the asound thingie either. Didnt do that this reinstall of the system (after I screwed up to much the last time I tried) God, what a relief!

- checco10 - 2009-06-25

Starstream Wrote:This was done with Google translate so the Italian may seem a bit weird but I hope it explains things clearly

Il televisore non supporta il 1080p @ 24Hz. Che non cambierà nulla. Se hai ancora problemi con 9.04.1 utilizzare il nuovo driver Nvidia e vedere se qualcosa cambia.

Oppure provare il rilascio ufficiale di XBMC in diretta sul sito web XBMC con VDPAU vecchi driver, ma è ancora supportato, ma le prestazioni non è così buona, senza nuovi driver.

Tank you so much for all Starstream

- DarthV - 2009-06-26

Starstream Wrote:Kryspy - see page 1 of this thread post number 2 for solution. If your getting an error then your doing something wrong I think.

DarthV - is that under XBMC Live ? it should work after you enable the adjust refresh rate in XBMC.

Nope, this is with a mini install of ubuntu. My xconf has no modelines in it at all.