Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? (/showthread.php?tid=52460)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- Kryspy - 2009-06-26

Fixed it. I think I left an extra space or something in my xorg.conf.

Kryspy

- checco10 - 2009-06-26

please i need help!!!!!!

Enable 1080p @ 24Hz for XBMC Live

>>X<< solution in shutdown

Then:
i do all like guide in the firs post:
run ubuntu “live” version without changing, Once Ubuntu is up & running click i go in Places and look for a hard drive, there is only one hard drive xbmclive_62, not two like the guide:
Places
Computer
xbmclive_62
so i go on xbmclive_62 and click on it, after i close browser window and i go in
Applications->Accessories and i click Terminal:
now i write gksudo nautilus and press enter, now another windows is opened,
i go in filesystem[/B[b]]/etc/x11 [/B[b]]/xorg.conf, and i open this with text editor,then i go in section device and i write:
Option “HWCursor”space “false”
after i go on Screen section and i write:
Option "DynamicTwinView" space "false"
then i save, close all and reboot.
When xbmc is run i go in setting settings->video->player and enable "adjust refresh rate" after i press z.
then when i shutdown and wake up xbmc whith remote control the X is there in the center of screen!!!nothing changed...!!!the same for Enable 1080p @ 24Hz..!!

I tried the guide 6 times , with space, no space, 9 ubuntu, ubuntu 8, nothing to do...nothing changed.
Is there another way to do this..?
Where i wrong..?
please help me....!!!!!

- Kryspy - 2009-06-26

checco010,

In Xbmclive I never actually found a xorg.conf file. I copied mine from my full ubuntu install into the /Conf folder and made the changes.

I think you may think you are editing the XBMClive disk but you are actually editing the Ubuntu live disk which of course is pointless.

I am not a LINUX expert by any stretch so I may be full of $hit.

Kryspy

- Starstream - 2009-06-26

checco10 your TV does not support 1080P@24Hz it accepts the 24Hz signal but converts it to 1080p@60Hz according to online info.

checco10 il televisore non supporta il 1080p@24Hz accetta la 24Hz, ma converte il segnale a 1080p@60Hz, secondo le informazioni su Internet.

The guide(s) I wrote for XBMC Live assume that you have installed XBMC Live onto the hard drive of the Asrock Ion 330, if you have not done so run the XBMC Live CD and choose that option then proceed with the guide.

La guida(s), ho scritto per XBMC Live presumere che avete installato XBMC Live sul disco rigido di Asrock Ion 330, se ancora non lo hanno fatto correre il XBMC Live CD e la scelta di tale opzione, quindi procedere con la guida.

Kryspy did you try to edit the file before your first boot into XBMC Live I'm not sure if it makes any difference or not but maybe the file is generated after first loading of XBMC Live.

- Kryspy - 2009-06-27

Starstream,

The file doesn't exist on the USB install even after first boot. I went the Live USB root as I only use this as a HTPC appliance and didn't think I needed to use a 320 GB HD for a 2GB install.
Wink

Kryspy

Oh and P.S. to vdrfan..... read my post I did use the search function "I tried the XBMClive fix but I get a error on startup about the xorg.conf and have to reload the default." When in doubt maybe re-read Wink

- checco10 - 2009-06-27

Starstream Wrote:checco10 your TV does not support 1080P@24Hz it accepts the 24Hz signal but converts it to 1080p@60Hz according to online info.

checco10 il televisore non supporta il 1080p@24Hz accetta la 24Hz, ma converte il segnale a 1080p@60Hz, secondo le informazioni su Internet.

The guide(s) I wrote for XBMC Live assume that you have installed XBMC Live onto the hard drive of the Asrock Ion 330, if you have not done so run the XBMC Live CD and choose that option then proceed with the guide.

La guida(s), ho scritto per XBMC Live presumere che avete installato XBMC Live sul disco rigido di Asrock Ion 330, se ancora non lo hanno fatto correre il XBMC Live CD e la scelta di tale opzione, quindi procedere con la guida.

Kryspy did you try to edit the file before your first boot into XBMC Live I'm not sure if it makes any difference or not but maybe the file is generated after first loading of XBMC Live.

I resolved .... I had to install xbmclive wrong, now everything works ..!
Tnaks for everybody

how I can transfer files from my pc on the ASRoock hard disk with xbmclive ..? if I want to change skin, how should I do?
thanks

- buckfaster - 2009-06-28

Hi,
Apologies if I'm in the wrong area/thread.

I have an ION 330 on order and should be here soon.
I want a setup whereby:
I can boot into windows easily, but normally it should boot straight to XBMC.
For example: If I put in a USB drive, it will boot to XBMC, but if I leave out the USB drive, it boots to windows.
Can someone advise me the best way to achieve this?
1) Should I install Ubuntu(and then XBMC for Linux on top) alongside Windows and have dual boot?
2) Should I install XBMC Live to a 4GB usb drive?
3) Should I install XBMC Live to the hard drive and also install windows (dual boot also)?
4) XBMCBuntu? Is this like a Linux distro?
4) Any other way recommended?
I want to be able to play HD content easily(which is why, I was told, to avoid Windows as it doesn't take advantage of cpu and gpu combined processing power for HD content), and I also want access to windows.
Thanks

- Kryspy - 2009-06-28

Hi,

Option 1 or 2 will work. If going with #1 remember to install Windows first.

The 320 GB HD is plenty to allow for option #1 but option #2 is fine.

Kryspy

P.S. I'd go with option #5 Install ubuntu and forget about Windows . Can always install Virtualbox and install Windows there.

- Hannes The Hun - 2009-06-28

buckfaster Wrote:I want to be able to play HD content easily(which is why, I was told, to avoid Windows as it doesn't take advantage of cpu and gpu combined processing power for HD content), and I also want access to windows.

well, windows 7 (and, to some degree Vista) do support DXVA which is more or less the same as VDPAU for linux.
it always is a good idea to have a dual boot setup in case you screw one of the OS's completely up. so I'd go the XBMCbuntu route as described in the sticky how-to where you install linux into one partition and leave the rest to GRUB.

- buckfaster - 2009-06-28

Hannes The Hun Wrote:well, windows 7 (and, to some degree Vista) do support DXVA which is more or less the same as VDPAU for linux.
it always is a good idea to have a dual boot setup in case you screw one of the OS's completely up. so I'd go the XBMCbuntu route as described in the sticky how-to where you install linux into one partition and leave the rest to GRUB.

That's this sticky yeah? [LINUX] HOW-TO make a standard Ubuntu installation into 'XBMCbuntu' set-top-box style.

So it's a minimal install of Ubuntu and XBMC on top?

Or are you talking about having a standard Ubuntu installation and installing XBMC on top?
(This one: [LINUX] XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled builds) ) ?
I will need Wifi support and Bluetooth support, so I'm not sure which way this would be easier to achieve...?

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2009-06-28

buckfaster Wrote:So it's a minimal install of Ubuntu and XBMC on top.

Yes that's right but if your new to linux you might want to install the full ubuntu distro and have that boot straight into XBMC which is possible to

If you want to install windows you will need to do that first then install ubuntu so grub picks up windows, I don't think you can dual boot windows and linux live on the hard drive because I think live wipes the drive first before it installs ?

I don't have this box but if you can assign USB as first boot device and hard drive as second then I guess that would make it boot to linux when stick was in and windows when its out maybe someone could clarify that's possible in the bios

- Kryspy - 2009-06-28

>>X<<

Yes it's totally possible. In fact the ASrock bootsplash allows you to quickly hit F11 I think it is and choose your boot device right there and then.

Kryspy

- Hannes The Hun - 2009-06-28

buckfaster Wrote:I will need Wifi support and Bluetooth support, so I'm not sure which way this would be easier to achieve...?

well, ubuntu desktop will install the desktop environment together with the graphical tools to configure and access wifi and bluetooth, but will produce a massive overhead of files and prolong the boot time. with XBMCbuntu, you will have a minimal ubuntu install with partitioning and boot options that already provides kernel support for wireless connections, but you may have to configure the stuff manually via a terminal session. again, the live "installer" WILL wipe the whole drive you're installing to, and it is really difficult to add more features or update on your own.

as a side note, it is really difficult to get wifi and bluetooth working in XBMC live as you will most likely screw up the live system. and when you need bluetooth for a wireless desktop, as long as you use the provided dongle it's very well possible that you don't need dedicated bluetooth support at all.

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2009-06-28

If you wanted to run windows and XBMC then you could launch an external player using CoreAVC with CUDA enabled or DXVA the later only works on files encoded correctly where CUDA works on everything

Its actually very easy to do I used the script below with Zoom Player and CoreAVC, the only problem is if your using a remote you have to setup "Event Ghost" to use it

Its pretty seamless when working

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=273849

For CoreAVC you would need XP or Vista as Win7 isn't supported and probably wont function correctly

I think you can even use Event Ghost to boot straight into XBMC under windows but not 100% sure on that

- medicineuk - 2009-06-28

buckfaster Wrote:That's this sticky yeah? [LINUX] HOW-TO make a standard Ubuntu installation into 'XBMCbuntu' set-top-box style.

So it's a minimal install of Ubuntu and XBMC on top?

Or are you talking about having a standard Ubuntu installation and installing XBMC on top?
(This one: [LINUX] XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled builds) ) ?
I will need Wifi support and Bluetooth support, so I'm not sure which way this would be easier to achieve...?

I have tried all 3 method and have ended up sticking with a full Ubuntu install.

XBMC Live
Didn't have support for my USB wifi device and really didn't give me the control I wanted over the file structure. I would recommend if you want just the complete XBMC HTPC feel but aren't looking to extend to much outside of this.

Minimal Ubuntu
Works ok but yours going to be spending a lot of time in the terminal. If your a complete noob to linux I wouldn't recommend it.

Full Ubuntu install
Your boot time is going to be slower then with the other two. It takes my machine about 60-70 secs before XBMC is useable (although I do have uTorrent launching under wine at startup). For me personally this has been the best option uTorrent and XBMC start at boot and I manage utorrent from another machine via the web interface. If I need to jump out of XBMC and manage my files I can by just pressing "/". I never turn the machine off only ever suspend so boot times are not really a problem. That being said it does sometimes feel time your running a computer rather then a HTPC. So if you want a complete HTPC feel go with one of the other options.

Full Ubuntu install guide for noobs here
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52259