Kodi Community Forum
ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList (/showthread.php?tid=52755)

- azido - 2009-08-11

soder Wrote:Its the same for me, but Andy have told me that he has to rewrite the option part.

/Söder

did you talk to him today? Yesterday he told me Includes_Animations.xml is the cause of most of the appearing/dissapearing troubles.

umh.. rewrite. sounds like i will afterwards have to rewrite the wiki, too Huh

- soder - 2009-08-11

No it was yesterday to.

[2009-08-10 13:02:41] Andy Blackburn: next i going to try to rerite the prefances section, to try to stop the enus text disappearing

/Söder

- azido - 2009-08-11

soder Wrote:No it was yesterday to.

[2009-08-10 13:02:41] Andy Blackburn: next i going to try to rerite the prefances section, to try to stop the enus text disappearing

/Söder

..hopefully this will also help preventing dissapearing letters in his chat text Laugh
(SCNR)

- soder - 2009-08-11

azido Wrote:..hopefully this will also help preventing dissapearing letters in his chat text Laugh
(SCNR)

Hehe. =)

/Söder

- strangedaze39 - 2009-08-11

@patkhoo: Thank you! That script works perfectly, it took forever to download since git doesn't offer much download speed but I don't think that can be overcome. And at least now I just need to download the updates Smile

OK so I have a few major bugs maybe you guys can comment on this.
Ubuntu Jaunty fully updated, latest XBMC from the nightly build section.
Bugs:
1) List/Wall view is the ONLY one that will show cover art and genre art. All the other views just have blank overlay images Oo.
2) The media flags are overlayed with the unknown (question mark) media flags even when I have that option disabled and or the movie file has full media flag info.
3) Multiplex view won't show any movie information etc. On the pop up it's just blank.
4) Multiplex view has a now playing video window that is showing when a movie is currently playing, in the upper right hand of the multiplex box but it's not aligned at all.

Hitcher's skin doesn't seem to have any of these issues neither does the original. The bugs seem quite big so I'm assuming not many other people have these issues. I'm interested to figure out whats going on though.

- patkhoo - 2009-08-11

azido Wrote:..hopefully this will also help preventing dissapearing letters in his chat text Laugh
(SCNR)

Nah, I think andy just needs a new keyboard.. Laugh

- azido - 2009-08-11

strangedaze39 Wrote:@patkhoo: Thank you! That script works perfectly, it took forever to download since git doesn't offer much download speed but I don't think that can be overcome. And at least now I just need to download the updates Smile

OK so I have a few major bugs maybe you guys can comment on this.
Ubuntu Jaunty fully updated, latest XBMC from the nightly build section.
Bugs:
1) List/Wall view is the ONLY one that will show cover art and genre art. All the other views just have blank overlay images Oo.
2) The media flags are overlayed with the unknown (question mark) media flags even when I have that option disabled and or the movie file has full media flag info.
3) Multiplex view won't show any movie information etc. On the pop up it's just blank.
4) Multiplex view has a now playing video window that is showing when a movie is currently playing, in the upper right hand of the multiplex box but it's not aligned at all.

Hitcher's skin doesn't seem to have any of these issues neither does the original. The bugs seem quite big so I'm assuming not many other people have these issues. I'm interested to figure out whats going on though.

the 1st two bugs are ones that seem to appear a lot and are related to the fact that showmix at given time goes kinda "out of sync" when settings were changed. a simple quit and restart of xbmc should fix them, though.

for the other ones: i have never experienced something like you described here, and i'm really close to every update andy commits. so i can't tell you what's wrong on your side.

as a quick side note: andy stopped commiting to git right now. at given time he does MAJOR rewrites to a lot of code in his mod, which me and some other guys are "bug-testing" heavily before it will hit git. So i guess right now there will be no updates on git that would fix this and that for ppl, sorry.

- patkhoo - 2009-08-11

azido Wrote:i would like to say the same, and until yesterday i would likely be on your boat. but yesterday on an initial clone done with git bash it got stuck on 83% Sad

Yikes, that's bad news. The truth this, Git was never designed to be a software distribution mechanism. So what we're doing is pushing git (and github) very hard.

azido Wrote:i wonder if there can be a script or any other automation that can fetch only andy's commits/updates and push them to another place. that way i would have no problem in hosting those updates on azido.de, as they are not that huge in general.
on the other hand, beside some merging probs (one or more candidates not being up-to-date) git pull works quite good, so that's not really the problem and is even fixed with your overwriting-in-all-cases script.

what we really need is a mirror for the complete mod, updated on a scheduled basis, from a place where bandwidth doesn't hurt and downloads are stable.

I agree with a mirror/alternative download site. The problem is merging new updates with what you've already got. For example, currently, whenever merging faces problems, everyone falls back to a full git clone. That is way, way overboard. A full git clone of Aeon Showmix is more than 800MB when in fact the actual Aeon Showmix is only 250MB (Git is not very disk space/bandwidth friendly in this regard). So if someone were to host Aeon Showmix (even w/o the git portions), the bandwidth amount is non trivial if to update, one needs to re-download everything. This is basically what XBMCUpdate is doing. From a technical point of view, what we need is either SVN or rsyncd.

Matt, is it possible to host an rsyncd on your site? I don't have a VPS, so I can't host rsyncd, but if so, I can write up the scripts for the back-end pull from github, and the front end scripts to sync down (changes only) from the rsyncd server to the local PC.

- patkhoo - 2009-08-11

strangedaze39 Wrote:@patkhoo: Thank you! That script works perfectly, it took forever to download since git doesn't offer much download speed but I don't think that can be overcome. And at least now I just need to download the updates Smile

That's great, let me know how it goes..

I had a really long day at work today, so I didn't get a chance to look at the Linux version. Hopefully I will be able to get to it tomorrow. And if it is a plain Linux /bin/sh script, chances are high Mac guys will be able to use it too..

- patkhoo - 2009-08-11

patkhoo Wrote:Matt, is it possible to host an rsyncd on your site? I don't have a VPS, so I can't host rsyncd, but if so, I can write up the scripts for the back-end pull from github, and the front end scripts to sync down (changes only) from the rsyncd server to the local PC.

Another alternative is to host a full package (on mediafire or such), which includes my update script, then everyone else can just download that (800+MB) but use my script to pull down updates from github. It should be much more reliable and faster than a full git clone all over again.

Yes, I think I'll try to see if I can do that. At least, it's a good interim measure until we figure out a long(er) term solution.

- azido - 2009-08-11

patkhoo Wrote:Yikes, that's bad news. The truth this, Git was never designed to be a software distribution mechanism. So what we're doing is pushing git (and github) very hard.

oh, surely it is, but maybe primarely not for end-users, but for developers working on open source projects to share their codes & commits all over the world Smile so, yes, it's goal is not to function as a download location firsthand, that's true. i really wonder why they didn't set harder size limits for free accounts. right now i guess it's 300mb for files uploaded by a user? that can become a killer if 1000 ppl try to download..

patkhoo Wrote:The problem is merging new updates with what you've already got. For example, currently, whenever merging faces problems, everyone falls back to a full git clone.

yeah, that's true for the novice and the lazy user. others would just rename/remove the files in question and afterwards update successfully. Though i have to admit whenever updates lead to unexpected behaviours, after killing all other possibilities i likely clone again, too - just to make sure if the trouble is on my side or the remote files. i guess from 1st day of showmix on git i had about 15-20 fresh clones until today. that's a lot of traffic.

patkhoo Wrote:(Git is not very disk space/bandwidth friendly in this regard).

another thing that makes me wonder. as it already packs all current files and sends the complete package, it should be technically no problem to make mysysgit or any other application that fetches from git to just download the pack and unpack it afterwards on the local machine. but what they do is sending you the package AND the unpacked files, too. makes absolutely NO sense in my opinion.

patkhoo Wrote:This is basically what XBMCUpdate is doing.

yeah, but for xbmc we are talking about 45mb per release.

patkhoo Wrote:Matt, is it possible to host an rsyncd on your site? I don't have a VPS, so I can't host rsyncd, but if so, I can write up the scripts for the back-end pull from github, and the front end scripts to sync down (changes only) from the rsyncd server to the local PC.

nope, not at all, since i have no root access to my host's machine so i cannot install the required daemon.

- azido - 2009-08-11

patkhoo Wrote:Another alternative is to host a full package (on mediafire or such), which includes my update script, then everyone else can just download that (800+MB) but use my script to pull down updates from github. It should be much more reliable and faster than a full git clone all over again.

Yes, I think I'll try to see if I can do that. At least, it's a good interim measure until we figure out a long(er) term solution.

that's quite similar to what i thought (minus the script). but remember filehosters like mediafire, rapidshare and others (you name them) will force you to a maximum size of 100 mb per file, so you have to split them with rar or zip packages, at least if you use their free accounts (and i'm not really willing to create a pro account to suit other's download needs).

that means if i would do the job on a regular basis, i would have to a) get a clone from github to my local machine, b) pack it to 100mb pieces and c) upload those packs to that file-hoster. that's a really time consuming task. not to mention the questions from n00bs like "what shall i do with all those files now? do i need all of them or just the 1st one?" Confused

ok, it can be done weekly, but i still need a lot of time to upload 800+mb since my upload speed doesn't go further than 120kbit/s.

..also i'm not sure if updates will work afterwards. go take a look into your .git directory and you'll see a lot of references to where it has been downloaded to. it might lead to an error like "this is not the initial repository where the clone was downloaded to".. would have to test that first on another system of mine.

edit: has anybody ever checked githubs documentation regarding to further updates when you've initially downloaded the source files from their web gui? i mean, they should have instructions for that situation, shouldn't they?

- jonathan_will08 - 2009-08-11

Is there any reason why the default backdrops are not showing? i.e. on the home menu I just see black background with the menu?

Thanks

- soder - 2009-08-11

Well, I've read that you/we have problem with git hub and how we can take part of all the updates?

1. Cant we all just have a pretty updated zip somewhere to download, and the only use git hub for the lastest updates. Like everyday. Not to use the first time? Or will that not work?

2. Isnt it possible in someway do it like in "SVN repo installer", where you now can install and update skins?

/Söder

- logictester - 2009-08-11

well svn is another way of doing things - i prefer git using with http it works (even if i have to run git pull (aliased it as git pSmile) few times) and sometimes it's really slow but it get's there overnight Smile