Kodi Community Forum
ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList (/showthread.php?tid=52755)

- azido - 2009-08-13

patkhoo Wrote:OK, here's the links for the latest version of my script. The big changes are:
1. Added Linux Ubuntu 8.04 support
2. Stripped down Git on Windows and Ubuntu
3. Added support for Aeon Auriga and Aeon Hitched

cheers for this.. especially the font including part will be helpful for novices, i guess (you know hitched and showmix use different fonts, do you?)

i'll include this in wiki as soon as ppl verify it works flawlessly on all targeted platforms.

now consider thinking about fetching single commits as zip/tar, too Wink i'm thinking especially about a day-based fetch (get all commits based on a given date that is).

one thing left: how does your script handle the fact andy (and others) have commits in which files get removed from their repository? (happens now and then)

- patkhoo - 2009-08-13

azido Wrote:cheers for this.. especially the font including part will be helpful for novices, i guess (you know hitched and showmix use different fonts, do you?)

Yep, noted and handled accordingly already.. Nod

azido Wrote:now consider thinking about fetching single commits as zip/tar, too Wink i'm thinking especially about a day-based fetch (get all commits based on a given date that is).

That may be possible too. But how would someone install/use these day-based zips? If I have Monday's version, it is now Friday, and I skipped all updates in between. Would I have to download Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Fri zips?

azido Wrote:one thing left: how does your script handle the fact andy (and others) have commits in which files get removed from their repository? (happens now and then)

Yeah, I've noticed that in the past too. What worried me most was if say Includes_Blah.xml was supposed to have been removed but wasn't, I didn't know if that may in fact screw something up with XBMC.

That is why in the end, I chose the dumb safe approach and just remove and replace the entire skin. Aka - No Merging! Eek

PS. Trivia: In terms of disk space usage, Hitched is the largest skin, followed very closely by Showmix, then finally the lightweight - Auriga Smile

- azido - 2009-08-13

patkhoo Wrote:That may be possible too. But how would someone install/use these day-based zips? If I have Monday's version, it is now Friday, and I skipped all updates in between. Would I have to download Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Fri zips?

sure. and of course in their particular order, too.
i'm still thinking about a "real" download alternative. my (as your) upload speed is very limited, so full copies would be uploaded on a weekly basis max, let's say every sunday a new full copy hits the hoster, replacing the previous one. and for the time between a daily update can be hosted. So it's up to users need then: if he needs/wants to stay accurate, he get a copy of changes applied daily. if he missed some, say it's friday, he either gets all the weeks daylies so far or wait for sunday to get a new full copy again. i could even create archives for daily updates as a backtrace in case someone is offline for 2 or 3 weeks and still wants updates only.

if that is in any way useful, it would be funky to trigger a script like yours with a given date, which then will do the rest: create a dir named after the date and download all that day's commits keeping file creation date untouched (guess andy updates include_blah.xml at 11.am and does another update at 2.30 pm - you don't want to overwrite the latter with the first).

umh, at writing this i see there is still much user intervention needed to keep stuff in sync.. maybe just forget about those daylies - or know a way of securely handle them.

Quote:Yeah, I've noticed that in the past too. What worried me most was if say Includes_Blah.xml was supposed to have been removed but wasn't, I didn't know if that may in fact screw something up with XBMC.
there shouldn't be any interference since once an xml or file is removed, also all references to it are gone, too (else you would get "error loading includes_blah.xml or blubb.extension" messages in your log). it's just your skin dir will grow with additions, but will also hold unused files. not a really bad thing for the ordinary user, but a mess for one that does bugtracing. he might check files that aren't used anymore Smile

Quote:That is why in the end, I chose the dumb safe approach and just remove and replace the entire skin. Aka - No Merging! Eek
a way to merge outside of github would be the all-users-are-happy-solution. unfortunately that seems to be impossible.

Quote:PS. Trivia: In terms of disk space usage, Hitched is the largest skin, followed very closely by Showmix

not sure for the version of showmix that's on my disc right now Wink

- CF2009 - 2009-08-13

andyblac see PM

- Hitcher - 2009-08-13

patkhoo Wrote:PS. Trivia: In terms of disk space usage, Hitched is the largest skin, followed very closely by Showmix, then finally the lightweight - Auriga Smile
That's simply because I have three Textures.xpr files.Wink

- Mike2023 - 2009-08-13

patkhoo Wrote:OK, here's the links for the latest version of my script. The big changes are:
1. Added Linux Ubuntu 8.04 support
2. Stripped down Git on Windows and Ubuntu
3. Added support for Aeon Auriga and Aeon Hitched

Windows Download
Linux Download

Giving this a shot now on windows 7, will post when done.

- azido - 2009-08-13

CF2009 Wrote:andyblac see PM

ooooh yes, please help him fixing this extras.py extratroubles Smile

- Mike2023 - 2009-08-13

patkhoo,

So it looks like it downloaded from andys git ok, but running into an error after that,

"Can't read file: ASMUpdateExclude.txt"

8 File<s> copied

Press any key to continue...

That kills the cmd prompt.

EDIT,

This time I got all the way to creating the skin DIR. Access was Denied so this is a vista/Windows 9 Problems most likely. I will pay around with admin settings and see what I can come up with.

the ASMUpdateExclude.txt file is in the asmupdate folder from what I can tell.

Edit # 2

So UAC is the root of all that is evil. Turned that sucker off and all is well.

1 thing,

Does not seem to be downloading Hitched or Auriga even though both are uncommented in the settings file

- azido - 2009-08-13

Mike2023 Wrote:patkhoo,

So it looks like it downloaded from andys git ok, but running into an error after that,

good to see a first test here.
ppl dealing with files in C:\program files\xbmc dir on vista should already come across UAC when trying to write into it Wink not a problem on win7 though, restrictions are more sensitive and logical there. in fact i'm able to write to c:\program files(x86)\xbmc\skin without touching any uac settings first. might be that x64 versions differ from x86 versions since x86 only has one program files dir which is protected, x64 versions have 2, from which the 2nd one is unprotected.

are there hard-coded paths in the script so you have to stay in program files\xbmc\skin? else try downloading it to somewhere else.

- Mike2023 - 2009-08-14

azido Wrote:good to see a first test here.
ppl dealing with files in C:\program files\xbmc dir on vista should already come across UAC when trying to write into it Wink not a problem on win7 though, restrictions are more sensitive and logical there. in fact i'm able to write to c:\program files(x86)\xbmc\skin without touching any uac settings first. might be that x64 versions differ from x86 versions since x86 only has one program files dir which is protected, x64 versions have 2, from which the 2nd one is unprotected.

are there hard-coded paths in the script so you have to stay in program files\xbmc\skin? else try downloading it to somewhere else.

UAC always warned me when writing files to xbmc, but could always get around it. Running the script as admin was no help which I figured would be all it needed. You could be on to something with the x64 vs x86. my HTPC is running on x86 so only the one program files.

I will turn uac back on and change the path that it writes to and see what happens. Also, installing XBMC into the Public DIR might fix any problems?

- azido - 2009-08-14

Mike2023 Wrote:UAC always warned me when writing files to xbmc, but could always get around it. Running the script as admin was no help which I figured would be all it needed. You could be on to something with the x64 vs x86. my HTPC is running on x86 so only the one program files.

I will turn uac back on and change the path that it writes to and see what happens. Also, installing XBMC into the Public DIR might fix any problems?

do you run xbmc with an additional -p switch? if not, there is no reason in not installing your skin into c:\user\appdata\roaming\xbmc\skin as xbmc will read it from there, too. plus your own userdir will not be protected against you by UAC.

- Mike2023 - 2009-08-14

azido Wrote:do you run xbmc with an additional -p switch? if not, there is no reason in not installing your skin into c:\user\appdata\roaming\xbmc\skin as xbmc will read it from there, too. plus your own userdir will not be protected against you by UAC.

I wanted to keep all my xbmx data in one folder as I wanted an easy backup solution as I don't plan on keeping windows 7 on this computer. Want to be able to drag the dir over to my server and back when I get the pc setup with xp down the road.

Edit,

hum, so I did not know that xbmc will read the skin data out of the appdata folder. in that case I could install the skin to that folder and just backup that folder when I need to make the os change.

- azido - 2009-08-14

Mike2023 Wrote:hum, so I did not know that xbmc will read the skin data out of the appdata folder. in that case I could install the skin to that folder and just backup that folder when I need to make the os change.

well, if you USE the -p switch, it will not read anything from the user dir, which i understand is what you do for your reason. if you now go ahead and remove the -p switch, you will notice you have to set up xbmc again unless you know which files you need to copy to your user dir to have your complete config there. and another thing you should know: without the -p switch, xbmc will read skins from BOTH dirs, the skin dir in program files AND the skin dir in appdata\roaming\xbmc, so make sure you have no identical named skin dirs in both folders.

- patkhoo - 2009-08-14

Mike2023 Wrote:Edit # 2

So UAC is the root of all that is evil. Turned that sucker off and all is well.

Yeah, we do need read/write privs and UAC would block it. You should also use an Admin Command Prompt as well and not a normal one. The download portions (ie, "asmupdate" folder) can actually be in any location you like, "C:\asmupdate", but if your XBMC is in "C:\Program Files", Windows handles that dir with extra permissions and UAC would block it.

Mike2023 Wrote:1 thing,

Does not seem to be downloading Hitched or Auriga even though both are uncommented in the settings file

Hmm, did you see any messages in the console Window about Hitched or Auriga at all?

- patkhoo - 2009-08-14

azido Wrote:are there hard-coded paths in the script so you have to stay in program files\xbmc\skin? else try downloading it to somewhere else.

Hmm, You can configure the path to XBMC in the script, but it looks for <XBMC>/skin folder.. I didn't know about the -p switch as well. I guess the script can be updated to ask users to point to the <XBMC Skin Folder> instead of the <XBMC> folder.. Just thought that for newbies, the latter is easier to "know/confirm" than the former Smile Either way, small matter.. Will keep this in mind for next version..