Kodi Community Forum
ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList (/showthread.php?tid=52755)

- Mike2023 - 2009-09-30

azido Wrote:folks,

if we would go for extrathumbs for music albums the way it's hacked in for videos already - would you follow us here and use them, willing to do the extra job?

or would you just ignore them?

note before your answer: video extrathumbs are easy to obtain with tools like EMM - you can assign scraped fanarts or just extract stills from the movie to use.
for music, you would be completely on your own, means you would have to collect images for yourself.

OMG I dont even want to think how long it would take me to do that. 718 albums would take me a year to find all the thumbs.

Maybe you can hack up EMM to do music? Eek lol.

its a great idea, but without a decent manager to do all the work for me I don't think I would ever get around to it. Maybe Oo

- Ram2000 - 2009-09-30

if we would go for extrathumbs for music albums the way it's hacked in for videos already - would you follow us here and use them, willing to do the extra job?

note before your answer: video extrathumbs are easy to obtain with tools like EMM - you can assign scraped fanarts or just extract stills from the movie to use.
for music, you would be completely on your own, means you would have to collect images for yourself.

Ermmm Not sure of what your suggesting here I can think of many albums that would have mulit fanart but thumbs ? where and why maybe a picture would explain it more. ?

- sergiocos - 2009-09-30

-fanart.jpg in the background (the logo of the band)
-the album fanart is the picture of the band (located in the album folder)

If i get it right, beside the standard fanart, now we have fanart on album level (same hack as extrathumbs for movies)

...so, the countdown is in hours or days? Big Grin

- AnalogKid - 2009-09-30

Absolutely...
But with a couple of caveats...

1) 'Extrathumbs' isn't the best name to be using for this.
'Fanarts' might be better. You may argue for consistency, but I'd argue for logic.

The rationale for this is very longwinded, but in short 'fanarts' would at least be suitable for adding at any level (artist or album level)

2) Wherever in the skin 'Fanarts' are used... if none exist, it must revert to the parent art. So, if a user has no album level fanarts, then user Artist level instead. Not entirely sure if this is possible... if it's not, then I have a potential hack that may work. Let me know if you need the hack idea.

- zeus[x] - 2009-09-30

this is looking amazing!!!
So cool! can't wait to have this running!

Thanks!!!

- azido - 2009-09-30

Ram2000 Wrote:Ermmm Not sure of what your suggesting here I can think of many albums that would have mulit fanart but thumbs ? where and why maybe a picture would explain it more. ?

basically my idea is to have one or two pictures on the left of the list when you are inside an album. on the right you have album artwork, on the left an artist thumb (as an example).
thing is: although we might already have an artist thumb that got shown whenever you browse music -> artists, we cannot refer to that thumb anymore once we are inside the song selection level. it has to be a picture inside the album dir if we want to access/display it.

- soder - 2009-09-30

I would not. I do not use them for videos eather. I only use XBMC to scrape.

/Söder

- azido - 2009-09-30

AnalogKid Wrote:Absolutely...
But with a couple of caveats...

1) 'Extrathumbs' isn't the best name to be using for this.
'Fanarts' might be better. You may argue for consistency, but I'd argue for logic.

this time (creative brainstorming) it doesn't even have a name. the term extrathumb was only used to refer to the hack that has already been done on the movie level. but i'm not sure if we should call it fanart either, as it will be more likely not the image displayed inside info or backdrop, but on the left of the list. "artistthumb" would be the best descriptive term. or even "albumthumb" as we only want to display it inside an album (this time).

Quote:The rationale for this is very longwinded, but in short 'fanarts' would at least be suitable for adding at any level (artist or album level)
most likely it would be a squared image like the album art - OR a wide thumb (which would be smaller then) so it won't fit a fanart category.

Quote:2) Wherever in the skin 'Fanarts' are used... if none exist, it must revert to the parent art. So, if a user has no album level fanarts, then user Artist level instead. Not entirely sure if this is possible... if it's not, then I have a potential hack that may work. Let me know if you need the hack idea.
that's how it is already implemented.

if you browse music -> artist selection -> album selection, having a fanart in artist dir, it will be shown in album selection too. now if you browse inside an album to get the songs displayed, if there is a fanart.jpg inside the album, it will show that one as backdrop. if not, it uses artist' fanart, if there is none it shows whatever backdrop music in general is set to. if you push info window, it uses artists fanart.jpg inside info window (see "a perfect circle" screenshot for an example).

if you browse music -> album selection, it will show the default music backdrop, until you enter an albums dir - then it's fanart.jpg will be displayed (but this time both in background and info window - we cannot refer to the artists fanart in that mode)

hope that describes it clear enough.

what's your hacky idea about?

- Peligrozo - 2009-09-30

I love my extrathumbs for movies, but I don't think they're necessary for music - the way you've done it with fanarts currently though in the recent screenshots looks great and sufficient. After all, the extrathumbs for movies make more sense as they're screencaps from the movie - which obviously wouldn't be the case for music. Also, personally I'd have an extremely hard job even finding pictures for many of my artists.

- azido - 2009-09-30

Peligrozo Wrote:I love my extrathumbs for movies, but I don't think they're necessary for music - the way you've done it with fanarts currently though in the recent screenshots looks great and sufficient. After all, the extrathumbs for movies make more sense as they're screencaps from the movie - which obviously wouldn't be the case for music. Also, personally I'd have an extremely hard job even finding pictures for many of my artists.

that's exactly why i'm asking.

it's an idea we play with, and before we even think of how we could implement it, we ask here if it's worth the coding at all. which means most of you ppl really would like to use that feature and are willing to do the extra job of finding suitable images.

- Peligrozo - 2009-09-30

azido Wrote:that's exactly why i'm asking.

it's an idea we play with, and before we even think of how we could implement it, we ask here if it's worth the coding at all. which means most of you ppl really would like to use that feature and are willing to do the extra job of finding suitable images.
Yes, I know, I really appreciate that you're asking Big Grin

- azido - 2009-09-30

Peligrozo Wrote:Yes, I know, I really appreciate that you're asking Big Grin

..as much i appreciate your "no" along with your reasons.

- azido - 2009-09-30

temmi2000 Wrote:would be too much work too fill up the complete database with own pictures i think, so I would vote "no".
but i really like the way your mod is developing in general. great piece of work.
may I create a modified version of your Low List once it is ready?
Really looks great, especially for music IMO.

feel free to be as creative as you can. but remember to give credits if you are releasing something that's based on our low list and not only on your private harddrive.

- azido - 2009-09-30

sandman4sure Wrote:Yes, for movies it works great. A bit more work to have the same pic twice in the folder with different names, but I can live with that.

For tv-shows it is broken now, but I think it's the latest SVN build... it now just doesn't see the poster.jpg anymore. I'll try an older build later and let you know if that was the problem.

What do you use for thumbnails for movies?

what you're referring to - extrathumbs? movie poster?

- azido - 2009-09-30

Danielocean Wrote:what do you want?!

a new 50" flatscreen would surely change my mind Laugh