Kodi Community Forum
ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList (/showthread.php?tid=52755)

- User 49598 - 2009-10-26

patkhoo Wrote:Let me re-inforce what Matt (Azido) has said - use newest SVNs at your own risk. Of course some of us are already testing new(est) SVNs etc etc. a) From the testing done, we've given information, logs, feedback, etc etc to developers where appropriate. And b) we do not come onto the forums to complain why this does (or does not) work.

So if you are:
* experienced enough technically and with XBMC,
* are willing to accept that there are bugs and problems (this and that does not work) - YMMV,
* and most importantly, have some patience and give developers time to work on things (as opposed to just coming into the forums and saying "X,Y,Z does not work, when can you fix it..")
then maybe, you can try one of the newer SVNs.

PS, 20040 DX is said to be even better than 24001, fixes lots of stuff like x264 media recognition in TS streams, yadda yadda.. Haven't tried it myself tho..

I'm aware of the "disclaimer", enough to say I've quoted here the very Azido warning. No support/help asked in my post above Smile - just "tried it ? if yes, does it work ?"

- soder - 2009-10-26

chareos Wrote:I'm aware of the "disclaimer", enough to say I've quoted here the very Azido warning. No support/help asked in my post above Smile - just "tried it ? if yes, does it work ?"

I'm using the "latest" SVN all the time. There are some bugs, but I don't thing they are ShowMix-specific.

/Söder

- patkhoo - 2009-10-26

chareos Wrote:I'm aware of the "disclaimer", enough to say I've quoted here the very Azido warning. No support/help asked in my post above Smile - just "tried it ? if yes, does it work ?"

OK, Well, Like I said, I just downloaded 24020 DX myself, so I will try that later tonight. Matt himself tried 24001 I think, so I think it should work.. some.. Wink Two bugs I am hoping get resolved are:
1) Fanart not displaying at times (movies with no fanart of its own - depending on "default" fanart)
2) The startup Home screen up-down workaround problem

I guess we'll just have to see Cool Good luck..

- soder - 2009-10-26

patkhoo Wrote:OK, Well, Like I said, I just downloaded 24020 DX myself, so I will try that later tonight. Matt himself tried 24001 I think, so I think it should work.. some.. Wink Two bugs I am hoping get resolved are:
1) Fanart not displaying at times (movies with no fanart of its own - depending on "default" fanart)
2) The startup Home screen up-down workaround problem

I guess we'll just have to see Cool Good luck..

The 1) is still there in SVN 24020. =(

/Söder

- zwat - 2009-10-26

the biggest problem for me with newest svn is no digital audio and no support for vertical blanc sync.

offtopic: is xbmc for windows also on github?

Thank you guys !

Aside from that,
I'd suggest an aesthetical improvement.

Talking about the main menu:
What about a main menu background dim, when something (like music) is being played ? This would give more appearance to the cover/track info

- soder - 2009-10-26

zwat Wrote:the biggest problem for me with newest svn is no digital audio and no support for vertical blanc sync.

I still got my digital audio and I see no problem with my vsync?

/Söder

- Peligrozo - 2009-10-26

soder Wrote:"go on with context menu and nail down the one you want to have as a standard for the music shortcut.

if you want to get rid off your setting, repeat the steps above and unset the standard."

/Söder
Thanks - that's what I always do though and it didn't work so far. Looks like it's because I use backspace instead of "Esc" when browsing around in the menu Tongue

- patkhoo - 2009-10-26

zwat Wrote:the biggest problem for me with newest svn is no digital audio and no support for vertical blanc sync.

1. Initial reports indicate that digital out is fixed in 24020 DX.. so you might want to try that. Early response is that DX may even be better than GL.. hah, so I will see for myself tonight.. Nod

2. Nope. XBMC is managed via SVN.

- azido - 2009-10-26

ok ppl,

first, thanks to soder and especially pathkoo to answer some of those questions.

now let me do a little statement:

i don't try to force any of you to do this or do that. you can all use whatever you like skin- and xbmc-wise. you can even modify showmix to suite your needs if you have the skills.

it's just that there are 2 interests that should be taken care of:

1. if you want a version of showmix that works at it is intended to do, you "should" stay on the recommended xbmc build before the merge. that is the one features and stuff are made on. using a build higher than that "can" break things (and actually does on some scenarios).

2. if you like to get things fixed and want to have support from either me or andy, you should also stay on the recommended build. the reason for this is very simple: i cannot give you support on stuff we didn't change, but the devs of xbmc did. we either need to a) wait until it gets fixed by the devs b) wait until the devs explain how to overcome the issue or c) re-code showmix to work with the new version.

a simple example of what i mean on 2. is the keyboard issue and the non working totals + recently added widgets. they both used to work until svn 23769, after that they didn't. now one can say "this is something in showmix, so fix it". and we could scratch our head off to find a solution. and then, tadaaa, on version 24001 suddenly all goes back to normal again.

it would have been waste of time and brain consumption to try to fix everything ontime, when there are huge chances it's just something broken in the current merge.

another example of a non-working thing in the current svns (more technically):

we coded showmix to take care of the artist and the album fanart in music. when you browse music -> artist -> album -> songs and play a track in low list, showmix shows you the artist fanart in the info window and the album fanart (assuming there is one) as a backdrop. if you browse music -> album -> songs, when a track plays you get the album fanart in the low list info window.
now on recent svns, browsing music->artist->album->song and playing a track gives you the artist fanart for a moment, then the album fanart goes on top of it, both loaded. that is because we cannot access the database path anymore to simply hide the album fanart in this case - it's not available anymore. now one could say "ok, then hide the album fanart in the info window manually". but that would mean browsing music -> album -> songs does not give you ANY fanart in the info window.
so, basically now we have to wait to either get this fixed by the devs again (bringing back the container.folderpath,MUSICDBSmile or they give us another way of getting this to work. in both situations there is nothing we can do than waiting. so how should we give support?

of course i'm trying every new build available. i'd like to see what we have to deal with, i'd like to help the devs by telling them what is broken, and i'd like to make use of the new features. but you won't see me complaining here about things that do not work yet - that's the difference.

now, andy has bought a new htpc and is running linux on it, so now we can cover mac, windows and linux issues. just give us the time to do so, and stay on recommended builds if you can't deal/live with the issues that come up with those merge svns.

thanks for reading.

- soder - 2009-10-26

azido Wrote:first, thanks to soder and especially pathkoo to answer some of those questions.

Absolute no problem. =)

/Söder

- soder - 2009-10-26

This has nothing to do with ShowMix, but I have totally missed that Alaska was out. =)

/Söder

- azido - 2009-10-26

chareos Wrote:Thank you guys !

Aside from that,
I'd suggest an aesthetical improvement.

Talking about the main menu:
What about a main menu background dim, when something (like music) is being played ? This would give more appearance to the cover/track info

actually, we put a diffusing texture on top of the background for the area behind the album thumb and the now playing labels, also for recently addedd. is it still too bright for you?

- azido - 2009-10-26

TheSwede1970 Wrote:Think he actually means this view...

Closest i can get to that is...

yeah, but he wants the poster and extrathumbs being angled like we did it in our low list.

azido Wrote:actually, we put a diffusing texture on top of the background for the area behind the album thumb and the now playing labels, also for recently addedd. is it still too bright for you?

Oh my... This was a suggestion I had in mind for quite some time now...
meanwhile it's already landed in Showmix.
Perhaps I didn't notice before 'cause I got struck to the 1.7.1 version from the Git download button...
I tried today with 2.1, and looks wonderful !