Kodi Community Forum
ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList (/showthread.php?tid=52755)

- azido - 2009-10-30

patkhoo Wrote:Whether the time display is in min or hr:min format depends on your nfo I do believe. You can use EMM to set the runtime format to "X hr Y min" format if you like..

correct. the label displays whatever is in the <runtime> tag of your nfo or what your scraper source provides.

FYI: new screenshots at the resource center - azido - 2009-10-30

i've posted some screenshots for our current work on multiplex views at the resource center forum again. also, a poll got added. we like to know if you like what you see, and, if you dislike, what you don't.

go and have a look here.

- neurosis13 - 2009-10-31

what about the movie tagline or how you wanna call it, i marked it in the screenshot below,
is there a reason why showmix has is not implemented yet?
i would love to see this in showmix.

- patkhoo - 2009-10-31

azido Wrote:i've posted some screenshots for our current work on multiplex views at the resource center forum again. also, a poll got added. we like to know if you like what you see, and, if you dislike, what you don't.

go and have a look here.

Overall, it's OK, but I have a question, why is it that the general "idea" is different from different style to style..

For example: style poster and style art.

In style poster, there are 5 "boxes" in the upper half, each of the boxes holds one item, two boxes with a thumb each, one for the poster, and one for the info+flags. But in style art, there is only one box but it has two items - info and fanart.

Wouldn't it be more uniform to somehow design it so that it would be two "boxes", one box with info, another with fanart to keep to the same general idea as style poster? Ditto with style thumb. Or the other way around, where style poster/4-thumbs are composed of just one box with all the items in it?

Current Multiplex view is like that.. whether you choose any of the styles, the general idea is the same - one box for all the items. Low-List also maintains the commonality, each box has one item only, regardless of style (like two thumb or four)...

And maybe you need a little bit more spacing between the coverflow and the other items (title/genre/yr/runtime) and the boxes above the coverflow?

- Danielocean - 2009-10-31

patkhoo Wrote:Overall, it's OK, but I have a question, why is it that the general "idea" is different from different style to style...
Not that bad thing! Really true!

i like that "free look" from the style "4 thumbs" & "poster", but when i think about it, there could be a problem with the style "art" & "thumb" to make it in this way... if you divide the fanart to a separate box you will have trouble with the flags...

and to do it in the other direction: to make it like "art" & "thumb" in only one box... no, i think then is the "free look" lost from the other two styles...

on the other hand, normally you will dicide for one look, maybe a different look in "movie" than in "tv show", so why there is a problem to have it with not that "general idea"... do you really permanently switch between the difffrent styles?! maybe at the beginning, but...

patkhoo Wrote:And maybe you need a little bit more spacing between the coverflow and the other items (title/genre/yr/runtime) and the boxes above the coverflow?
That's a point that i also think about it... but my "result" goes an other way: for me the multiplex-coverflow is too big... sorry for that, then i know for guys with a smaller flatscreen it is nice to have such big posters, but not really necessary... the size of the posters in the older showmix was big enough... the benefit with these smaller version is that there is more space for fanart, more space for the info/poster/fanart/thumb boxes... and/od even more space to reduce this tight look and make it more free...

i have another two things, two improvments... i wrote it already on "resource center", but i think here is the bettter place...

one thing is the border-situation... in my eyes, there is a diffrent look between the info-box and the thumb-box for example... there is not the same thickness, but that is for me not that problem... there is a diffrent look cause the radius of the curves is not the same or it looks like it is not the same... i have to that i don't know how to make it better, i only can say that it not really fits together... it is not that big thing, only a trifle... but i can imagin that somebody will have it perfect...

the other thing, in my eyes is a little bit bigger, but also not that big thing... i'm a big angry about that "press down to view trailer" display... i think it's too much, it don't fit in this clean and smart look/view/style... Azido says that it is an indication that there is a trailer available... for me is this needless... if you really need an indication, so make a flag for this... you also implement a boring and needless (IMHO) subtitle flag, so you can also do it for trailers...
The display in my eyes is needless, cause there is no display for "info-box"/"info screen"/"showmix menu" and things like this... everybody who use xbmc knows about the usage (and if not this person should read the wiki), everybody knows that you have to press up for trigger the info-box (by manually), everybody knows that you have to press "I" for info screen, etc... so the question for me is: why is there a display for trailers?!

EDIT:
i had a look again on the border situation... in the "info area" (that means the part upside the multiplex coverflow) there are three diffrent borders... or it looks like three diffrent types/sizes/textures/whatever...:
- the borders around the info box: thick with a big radius of curves
- the borders around the posters: medium thickness with a medium radius of curves
- the borders around the thumbs: thin with a small radius of curves

in my eyes, the medium border is the best one, not as thick, not as thin... now imagine that this border is around all items, the info box, the posters & the thumbs... that would be more uniform...

- azido - 2009-10-31

i really find it funny to see the only discussion goes about minor cosmetic things (the borders of windows, the sizes of windows and thumbs) so in general i think we did a good job - the rest is all about getting used to it.

a valid point for me is if we really need a descriptive label for the trailer. as it is right now, i think it is more a "tribute" to the original trailer mod by anoobie, which invented that description. but it also has it's warranty to be there for one reason: different arrows are used to play the trailer in multiplex versus low list. without the label, it either depends the user to go read the manual/wiki or find the right key by "accident". but of course then you can also argue "the vertical menu has also different triggers to open it and there is no description for it". true that.

but, just curious: most of you use showmix and/or hitcher or other mods for a long time now and NEVER complained about that label so far. now that it goes solo on top, you noticed it. are you sure you are not just being unsatisfied with it's position in multiplex?

finally, for the bigger coverflow: MANY users complained about the missing showcase view. some even don't use showmix anymore, simply because we removed it. this is our way of bringing it back without the need for an additional view.

in the end i can only say: we will never be able to reach 100% satisfied people no matter what we come up with. that's something we and you have to live with..

- azido - 2009-10-31

patkhoo Wrote:Overall, it's OK, but I have a question, why is it that the general "idea" is different from different style to style..

because the new multiplex is trimmed down to 4 styles now. before, you had 4 styles for the standard multiplex and another 4 styles for the fullscreen multiplex view. we tried to find the two best styles for each of them instead. that's why you get a big info window for fanart and thumb that "represents" their old appearance in standard multiplex and 4 thumbs + poster style that looks more like the old fullscreen multiplex.

finally, i guess once you tried them all you will find the one that suits you the most. my fav on old multiplex was poster view, on the new one it's the 4 thumbs view. and, once you made your decision, you most likely stick with it and be happy to have a more stable showmix that has less code to load on each window.

- Danielocean - 2009-10-31

azido Wrote:i really find it funny to see the only discussion goes about minor cosmetic things (the borders of windows, the sizes of windows and thumbs) so in general i think we did a good job - the rest is all about getting used to it...

...in the end i can only say: we will never be able to reach 100% satisfied people no matter what we come up with. that's something we and you have to live with..

you're right, only cosmetic things... cause you did and do really a great job...

think about these cosmetic things, don't diss them directly... i think the idea is good and maybe it helps to make it better... but one thing is true: SHOWMIX IS VERY VERY GOOD, for me the best skin on xbmc!

and one thing is also true: you never can make everyone happy... each guy has an idea, each guy would edit a small thing... And your way is very nearly like the perfect way...!

ok, one thing i have still in my mind... to implement the cast in showmix... some days ago, i spoke with andy about that... maybe with one more flip: info->trailer->cast->info... maybe he's working on that...

- azido - 2009-10-31

Danielocean Wrote:think about these cosmetic things, don't diss them directly

as i already answered at your resource center post, that is far away from being a diss.
the changes you request here would result in redoing ALL textures for both multiplex and low list view for ALL borders, which a) is no "on-the-fly" job, b) would also need to rewrite all position codes and c) would have been something you should have mentioned in the low list creation phase, as that was the time we initially created the new standard for borders around info windows and thumbs. but there all of you agreed finally that it is perfect. so maybe you understand that this is not really something we would say "oh yeah, cool, let's try and see how that looks like" - don't you?

Quote:ok, one thing i have still in my mind... to implement the cast in showmix... some days ago, i spoke with andy about that... maybe with one more flip: info->trailer->cast->info... maybe he's working on that...

impossible. the cast is only available in the video info dialog. that's an xbmc restriction.

- patkhoo - 2009-10-31

azido Wrote:i really find it funny to see the only discussion goes about minor cosmetic things (the borders of windows, the sizes of windows and thumbs) so in general i think we did a good job - the rest is all about getting used to it.

Well, this is a theme, a skin. And you know, the best themes/skins (for any number of software out there) place an inordinate amount of effort on details. A slightly different flick of the brush, and the Mona Lisa may be frowning instead.. Laugh

azido Wrote:a valid point for me is if we really need a descriptive label for the trailer. as it is right now, i think it is more a "tribute" to the original trailer mod by anoobie, which invented that description. but it also has it's warranty to be there for one reason: different arrows are used to play the trailer in multiplex versus low list. without the label, it either depends the user to go read the manual/wiki or find the right key by "accident". but of course then you can also argue "the vertical menu has also different triggers to open it and there is no description for it". true that.

but, just curious: most of you use showmix and/or hitcher or other mods for a long time now and NEVER complained about that label so far. now that it goes solo on top, you noticed it. are you sure you are not just being unsatisfied with it's position in multiplex?

Yes, I agree. You need it. It would be a support nightmare - people pressing down/right (low-list) expecting to get to the scroll bar but end up seeing the trailer with no idea why.

- patkhoo - 2009-10-31

azido Wrote:because the new multiplex is trimmed down to 4 styles now. before, you had 4 styles for the standard multiplex and another 4 styles for the fullscreen multiplex view. we tried to find the two best styles for each of them instead. that's why you get a big info window for fanart and thumb that "represents" their old appearance in standard multiplex and 4 thumbs + poster style that looks more like the old fullscreen multiplex.

finally, i guess once you tried them all you will find the one that suits you the most. my fav on old multiplex was poster view, on the new one it's the 4 thumbs view. and, once you made your decision, you most likely stick with it and be happy to have a more stable showmix that has less code to load on each window.

OK, fair viewpoint.. Big Grin

- Riderzzz - 2009-10-31

installed latest svn and latest showmix.

I cant choose backdrops from the menu too choose backdrops for the home menu items. it gives me the screen to choose a folder/file. but the sceen is empty, its showing me a blank screen.

is this too due with fonts? its the only problem what i have atm, resdt is running perfectly.

Second question is:
In wich XML file is the location stored for the homescreen backdrops and especially the backdrops for the extra menus you can make.

- Mike2023 - 2009-11-01

Riderzzz Wrote:installed latest svn and latest showmix.

I cant choose backdrops from the menu too choose backdrops for the home menu items. it gives me the screen to choose a folder/file. but the sceen is empty, its showing me a blank screen.

is this too due with fonts? its the only problem what i have atm, resdt is running perfectly.

Second question is:
In wich XML file is the location stored for the homescreen backdrops and especially the backdrops for the extra menus you can make.

I have had this problem in the past. A restart of XBMC clears it up for me.

- Riderzzz - 2009-11-01

Mike2023 Wrote:I have had this problem in the past. A restart of XBMC clears it up for me.

Too bad i cant say the same Sad, it looks like a font problem, but i cant be sure.
All other file browsers are working correctly.

Does domeone know the xml code for having a path slideshow backdrops instead of 1 picture what is default in the xml? then i can work around it without having to fix it.

- azido - 2009-11-01

Riderzzz Wrote:Does domeone know the xml code for having a path slideshow backdrops instead of 1 picture what is default in the xml? then i can work around it without having to fix it.

i for myself would be more interested in fixing it, if there is the need to.

1. "the latest svn" isn't a valid description of the version you are using. be exact.
2. describe the steps you take and give a screenshot of the issue.

chances are there is something either wrong on your system or you are doing wrong. never had any trouble setting up folders for random backdrops on any svn version so far.