Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion Gen2 - Manage your Movies, Shows, NFO, and more (Open Source VB.NET) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion Gen2 - Manage your Movies, Shows, NFO, and more (Open Source VB.NET) (/showthread.php?tid=53640)

- fanclub - 2009-10-24

billyad2000 Wrote:To be honest I have no idea why it's not working, to my knowledge "season00.tbn" is the correct naming convention.

It may be worth you mentioning this in the xbmc bugs forum.

thanks for the clarification, i'll get on to that

billyad2000 Wrote:This would not be an issue, but i'm a little confused as to what should be actually downloaded for this, is it not just the same as folder.jpg, and does xbmc not default to this if season-all.tbn does not exist. If this is the case then it seems a bit of a waste to download the same thumb twice.

yes that is right, and now that you have mentioned that i can see that it is the issue in my particular case. i should also mention that i'm using mediastream redux (i checked mediastream and the same thing happens)

i've set MC to download banners instead of posters, so my folder.jpg is the wide banner format. if season-all.tbn doesnt exist, then yes, folder.jpg is displayed in its place. however if season-all.tbn does exist then it is displayed as per the scenario in my request. that way i can have a wide banner format folder.jpg and a poster format season-all.tbn

obviously anyone that scrapes folder.jpg as the poster format can use season-all.tbn to display a custom thumb in this scenario, if they really wanted to

- billyad2000 - 2009-10-24

fanclub Wrote:i've set MC to download banners instead of posters, so my folder.jpg is the wide banner format. if season-all.tbn doesnt exist, then yes, folder.jpg is displayed in its place. however if season-all.tbn does exist then it is displayed as per the scenario in my request. that way i can have a wide banner format folder.jpg and a poster format season-all.tbn

obviously anyone that scrapes folder.jpg as the poster format can use season-all.tbn to display a custom thumb in this scenario, if they really wanted to

That makes sense now, I'll add it for the next build.

- fanclub - 2009-10-24

i just thought i'd google the other season00.tbn issue before posting to the bug forum and found this post:

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59281

it identifies "season-specials.tbn" as the thumb we're looking for, even though the specials folder is still named in the Season 00 format

i've just tried it and it works!

EDIT:
Quote:(6) This image is designed to represent special 'one off' episodes that don't fit into the regular season guides. (e.g. Christmas specials, or other one off productions of the show). This corresponds to all the episodes marked as 'Season 00'. I have no idea why the filename isn't 'Season00.tbn', it just isn't.

after reading more on this page there is probably a lot of valuable info there that could possibly help MC development now and in to the future (i'm thinking music album support Smile )

- billyad2000 - 2009-10-24

fanclub Wrote:i just thought i'd google the other season00.tbn issue before posting to the bug forum and found this post:

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59281

it identifies "season-specials.tbn" as the thumb we're looking for, even though the specials folder is still named in the Season 00 format

i've just tried it and it works!

EDIT:

after reading more on this page there is probably a lot of valuable info there that could possibly help MC development now and in to the future (i'm thinking music album support Smile )

Nice find.

I like it, "It just isn't" Huh

I'll update MC accordingly.

It's a little bit premature at the moment to be thinking of albums, this is still a couple of months away according to my roadmap.

- billyad2000 - 2009-10-26

New version 3.135

Changes for this build
  • Added - Poster Browser has been added to TV Shows
  • Bugfix - Regex error which limited multipart episodes to 2 episodes
  • Bugfix - Regex error which changed episode path to lowercase causing custom regex to not work as intended
  • Bugfix - TV Show Genre auto scraper contained unwanted "|"s
  • Bugfix - "season00.tbn" does not import to XBMC, filename changed to "season-specials.tbn"
  • Changes -
  • Added - Option to dl "season-all.tbn" when selectin tvshow, can select poster or banner. It can also be downloaded from the tv show poster browser
  • Added - Show and Episode Counter
  • Changes - Various changes to interface that left controls off screen at times, especially when the Status Strip was in use
  • Bugfix - Moving the window several times could cause an exception as the new location was saved
  • Bugfix - Multiple causes of the nullexception error have been fixed
  • Bugfix - General, a reused public variable was used in multiple threads causing unexpected results.

Whats next

Over the next few weeks I want to finish the remaining work on MC that will finally bring it (Functionally) upto Gen1, this will include such things as TV Episode Screen capture using ffmpeg, profiles, and maybe a few other things I have on my mind.

Whats on my mind for the near future, not necessarily in this order.
  • Something that has been on my mind for ages is the complexity of the program, I would like to create some kind of startup wizard that would guide users through the basic steps of getting started.
  • A reworking of the preferences is long overdue, perhaps having a basic config and advanced config system.
  • Some people would prefer MC to remain portable, while others want it installed into their program directory, so I need to think about a way to achieve this.
  • Some kind of HTML template system would also be nice, allowing users to create customised movie and tv lists.
  • Command line already exists for movies, I want to include similar for tv episodes.
  • Batch rescrape wizard for tv episodes.
  • Support for XBMC Scraper files, there is a superb library available now that would make this fairly simple, though I would probably keep the MC libraries since I can fix those, the XBMC scrapers are simply beyond me.
  • Album support
  • Adding facility for custom genres filters, or to enable the editing the current ones

Keep the bug reports coming.

Download Version 3.135

Just overwrite the previous version, ( the config will remain compatible only if you are upgrading from version 3.xxx).[b]

- nessus - 2009-10-26

All versions (including this one) they are not working on Windows 7.

When i try to add some folders for TV Shows i get this message :

with these details:

Quote:See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(String filename)
at Media_Companion.Form1.loadtvshow(String path)
at Media_Companion.Form1.TreeView1_AfterSelect(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnAfterSelect(TreeViewEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnSelected(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Media Companion
Assembly Version: 3.1.3.5
Win32 Version: 3.1.3.5
CodeBase: file:///E:/0-New%20Downloads-0/Downloads/Media%20Companion%20gen2%203.135/Media%20Companion.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Any additional files or libraries needed for the application to work on Win7 or it's incompatible with the new Windows OS ?

Thanks
Nessus

The open folder menu item is not for adding folders, it is for opening a folder containing a selected movie so you can see the files, although I need to handle the exception.

To add folders go to the preferences tab, there is a sub tab called folders, add your folders there.

As of yesterday, MC is being developed on Windows 7 Professional, so that is not the problem.

- greybeard - 2009-10-26

Quote:Some people would prefer MC to remain portable, while others want it installed into their program directory, so I need to think about a way to achieve this.

I have been away for awhile, and it looks like you have made a lot of progress. With regard to the above quote, couldn't you use environment variables? I have not programmed in anything but C and have not programmed for Windows, but ENV variables might work. Anyone who would want portable installation is probably sophisticated enough to handle ENV variables. Many of us probably would want to have multiple versions running, so the ENV variables would probably need to carry the version number as well. This could be handled manually or at installation. Installer would ask "Portable or regular Windows install?" if it did not find a MEDIA_COMPANION ENV variable, else normal install. If portable also ask "Keep multiple portable versions?" in which case set version, ELSE just set MEDIA_COMPANION path.

Would something like that work?

greybeard Wrote:I have been away for awhile, and it looks like you have made a lot of progress. With regard to the above quote, couldn't you use environment variables? I have not programmed in anything but C and have not programmed for Windows, but ENV variables might work. Anyone who would want portable installation is probably sophisticated enough to handle ENV variables. Many of us probably would want to have multiple versions running, so the ENV variables would probably need to carry the version number as well. This could be handled manually or at installation. Installer would ask "Portable or regular Windows install?" if it did not find a MEDIA_COMPANION ENV variable, else normal install. If portable also ask "Keep multiple portable versions?" in which case set version, ELSE just set MEDIA_COMPANION path.

Would something like that work?

I did have it working sort of in gen1, At first it was portable, but some people were encountering permissions errors within the standard Vista "Programs" folder.
As a result of this I started using these variables, with MC data being stored within a folder in the "application data" folder, this meant that MC could be put anywhere and would still work.
This set off the complaints of it no longer being as portable.

The fix was that if a user created a settings folder withing the MC folder then it would store everything in there and would remain portable.

This all worked very well, but is in my oppinion rather fiddly. I am thinking that in the future there may well be 2 builds of MC, one that is a simple archive, similar to what is available currently, and another one that uses some kind of installer, adding start menu shortcuts, etc.

- nessus - 2009-10-27

Hey billyad2000 thanks for the response. Here is what happen.
In my searching for some scraping app for TV Shows after Media Companion 2 fail i found another one (i don't want to post another competitive app) which is works very good. When i scrap the first show and confirmed that is working fine i turn back to Media Companion 2 and guess what it was working. So when Media Companion 2 found at least one Show already scraped there is no problem. No Unhandled Exception at all.

Notice that the exception message is popping also when you click the "TV Shows" button after you have added folders to the preferences tab.

I hope this help's to solve any problem.
Sorry no offense but i solve mine with the other scraping app.

Nessus

- fanclub - 2009-10-29

EDIT: No bug here, ignore this post. I didn't have the specials catalogued by MC yet. Once they were there, the 'Specials' entry appeared on the list.

Quote:hi billy

thanks for all the bugfixes in the latest release... everything seems to be working a treat

i have found one small bug though. the first show in my list (24) has a season-specials.tbn thumb in the folder but on the poster browser window there is no 'Specials' entry on the 'Select working thumbnail' dropdown list.

i have other shows in my list (the office UK, trailer park boys, etc) that have a season-specials.tbn file and their 'Specials' entry appears as it should.

other than that small issue, it's looking great!

- RockDawg - 2009-10-29

I'm having a problem where a bunch of my episodes aren't showing. All my shows are listed and info is displayed for them in MC, but a bunch don't have any 'plus' symbols next to them and no seasons or episodes are displayed. They all had nfo files generated by MC 2.291 as that's what I have been using until this latest gen2 release.

I even went through and deleted all the nfo files for the episodes that weren't showing and rescraped them in 3.135. MC found them and did it's thing and then all were showing. Until I closed MC and restarted it. Now it seems like the same episodes are missing. What could be the problem?

Change all Wide to Poster? - Ippie - 2009-10-29

Love Media Companion!

I have a mix-match of wide and standard posters. Any way for Media Companion to scan my whole library and replace all wide posters with standard poster size?

- billyad2000 - 2009-10-29

RockDawg Wrote:I'm having a problem where a bunch of my episodes aren't showing. All my shows are listed and info is displayed for them in MC, but a bunch don't have any 'plus' symbols next to them and no seasons or episodes are displayed. They all had nfo files generated by MC 2.291 as that's what I have been using until this latest gen2 release.

I even went through and deleted all the nfo files for the episodes that weren't showing and rescraped them in 3.135. MC found them and did it's thing and then all were showing. Until I closed MC and restarted it. Now it seems like the same episodes are missing. What could be the problem?

Use the drop-down TV Menu and rebuild the db,

I Can't say why the cache is not saving, is MC in a location with write permissions.

I say this because people sometimes put MC in their programs folder which in Vista has no write permissions for MC. In the near future I will be allowing the option for MC to be installed there though.

- billyad2000 - 2009-10-29

Ippie Wrote:Love Media Companion!

I have a mix-match of wide and standard posters. Any way for Media Companion to scan my whole library and replace all wide posters with standard poster size?

Not at this time, one-off activities such as this are a very low priority.