Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion Gen2 - Manage your Movies, Shows, NFO, and more (Open Source VB.NET) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion Gen2 - Manage your Movies, Shows, NFO, and more (Open Source VB.NET) (/showthread.php?tid=53640)

- morikaweb - 2011-04-26

I take it that means this is indead a dead project. Oh well there has to be at least one project that is actually active.

- rudeboyx - 2011-04-27

maybe a quick read of the first post will clear things up.

The original author doesn't have time to do anything with media companion these days so he has released the code as open source. As stated in the first post, many developers have signed up to help out with further development, however they need to clean up the code before they can progress.

Ultimately the app still works perfectly, hence no further updates. I scrape movie/shows daily without issue. sometimes media companion may appear to not be working but this is down to the websites which it scrapes from having temporary issues and generally trying again the following day will fix the problem. unfortunately you cant blame media companion for these as it is to be expected from time to time.

Why are you asking if its dead anyway. are you having problems with the app? if so try raising a ticket at http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic.

The reason you don't get any responses on this forum is because the original author has stopped developing and most likely doesn't come to this forum any more and the new developers probably don't even know about this forum. (xbmc forum is not the official forum for this app. this was - http://billyad2000.co.uk/). however i believe all discussions will now take place on the new site here - http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/discussions

Hope that clears things up a little

RBX

- StormyKnight - 2011-04-28

Firstly I would like to thank those who have persisted with Media Companion during the last few months since the latest official release by Billy. I realize many users have put up with the few quirks that MC currently contains which can be frustrating at times not knowing the causes for those issues & how to get around them.

In the next few weeks we intend to make a release of the various updates that have been submitted to the source code to promote new interest in MC. Also we are hoping that this will assist us in finding additional willing developers to refactor (clean up) the current code & to add new features...

For myself, it has taken this long to have some extra free time to spend working on MC & also the time to understand how the open source architecture works, and I'm still not 100% there yet...but at least now we are moving forward again.

Cheers
Richard

- Korath - 2011-04-28

Excellent News - No matter how many times I try out the many other options out there I always go back to Media Companion and I'm very happy to see that there is an update coming around (couldn't get my head around using the source code Tongue)

- cider123 - 2011-05-11

I am just wondering... How do i get my XBMC to read what media companion creates? Sorry for being kinda stupid... But I can't seem to find any good info about this...

- StormyKnight - 2011-05-12

Media Companion Weekly Posted Big Grin

Good news, the weeklys have started for Media Companion.

You can find the first weekly here....

http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/discussions/257336

Please download, test & provide feedback!

Cheers

- StormyKnight - 2011-05-12

cider123 Wrote:I am just wondering... How do i get my XBMC to read what media companion creates? Sorry for being kinda stupid... But I can't seem to find any good info about this...

Have a look at this page on adding sources to XBMC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adding_Media_Sources

Media Companion adds nfo files in the same folder as each media file & if XBMC sees an nfo file, it gathers the information about that media file from it rather than scraping the information from the internet.

MC gives easier access to movie details & allows faster library updates for XBMC.

Cheers

- cider123 - 2011-05-12

StormyKnight Wrote:Have a look at this page on adding sources to XBMC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adding_Media_Sources

Media Companion adds nfo files in the same folder as each media file & if XBMC sees an nfo file, it gathers the information about that media file from it rather than scraping the information from the internet.

MC gives easier access to movie details & allows faster library updates for XBMC.

Cheers

Ah yes, I figured it out last night finally. Smile Thanks for your reply. I am very pleased with this program now. Smile

I've installed the weekly and so far it seems pretty much the same, atleast for me.

- StormyKnight - 2011-05-13

cider123 Wrote:I've installed the weekly and so far it seems pretty much the same, atleast for me.

Yep, the main feature addition is the ability to use XBMC scrapers & it should display properly on both 96dpi & 120dpi screens now too. Plenty of bugs have been sorted as well.

Cheers

- danz0l - 2011-05-13

Thought i'd report back on the latest weekly.

The new design on the user interface now has quite small fonts compared to the original. Also in full window mode some of the interface is hidden by the windows taskbar. This is in 1280 x 720 with standard DPI.

I was excited to see the xbmc scrapers option but unfortunately enabling them gave me an error that it couldnt find the title and an imdb empty url dialog box. Disabling allowed a scrap that was far from complete (it grabbed covers, no fanart and no plot summeries for the 5 i tried). No trailers were found even though several had imdb ones available. Revoked back to the older media companion 3.400 and that also didnt find plots for the movies but did at least find some of the trailers.

Hope the feedback helps.

- StormyKnight - 2011-05-13

@danz0l thanks for the feedback, I will be working on the UI as it is the biggest issue we had with 3.4.0.0 not working well with 120dpi. VB Net does have autoscaling using dpi however I had issues with some of the splitters that I need more time to resolve so I reverted back to the old way & made more space around text items. This makes the text appear smaller at this stage until we can resolve the autoscaling.

Re the XBMC scraper issue, was it a TV show or movie & what was the title?

Cheers

- castortray - 2011-05-13

Hi,

I also have a problem with XBMC scrapers, when I copy metadata.filmweb.pl to \Media Companion 3.4.0.1b\Assets\scrapers

I have this error:

details:

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Xml.XmlException: '=' is an unexpected token. The expected token is ';'. Line 297, position 104.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnexpectedToken(String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnexpectedToken(Int32 pos, String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.HandleEntityReference(Boolean isInAttributeValue, EntityExpandType expandType, Int32& charRefEndPos)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   at System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r, LoadOptions o)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XElement.ReadElementFrom(XmlReader r, LoadOptions o)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XElement.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XElement.Load(String uri, LoadOptions options)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XElement.Load(String uri)
   at Media_Companion.Scraper..ctor(String addonXmlFilename)
   at Media_Companion.ScraperManager.LoadScrapers(String baseDirectory)
   at Media_Companion.ScraperManager..ctor(String baseDirectory)
   at Media_Companion.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5444 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Media Companion
    Assembly Version: 3.4.0.1
    Win32 Version: 3.4.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Mario/Desktop/Media%20Companion%203.4.0.1b/Media%20Companion.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

after click "Continue" Media Companion 3.4.0.1b start OK.
In "Movie Preferences" tab I select "Use XBMC Scrapper" and I cannot choose Filmweb scraper, it's not listed Sad

thanks for help

- StormyKnight - 2011-05-14

Thanks castortray I will look into it.

- bobrap - 2011-05-14

Thanks for the continued development of a great program. Thought I provide some feedback from my experience with the latest weekly.

Cancel movie search is very unresponsive. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

Searching for new movies is taking me forever. I started scanning around 1300 movies yesterday and let it run all night. When I checked in the morning it found 100+.

When using the xbmc/tmdb scraper, the program crashes. And when deselecting "use xbmc scraper" the window showing IMDB doesn't always reappear.

Hope this helps. Need anymore info?

MC art vs. XBMC DB Scraped art - john_austin - 2011-05-16

Hi- I've read through many pages of the thread and on the new Media Companion pages but have not had any luck finding an answer to the problem I am having.

I am running XBMC on ATV2 with media stored on a central NAS. I have used MC to select different posters and fan art, which are stored locally in each movies' folder on the NAS. However, XBMC continues to show the poster scraped by XBMC when the library refreshed.

How can I have XBMC use the local files?