Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] MediaStream_Redux (My Remake) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: MediaStream (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] MediaStream_Redux (My Remake) (/showthread.php?tid=53830)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

- jmarshall - 2009-07-07

Agreed skunkm0nkee - it's primarily an underlying problem with XBMC per-se: separate files and library is silly.

If the people conducting the test had setup xbmc (and thus mediastream) well, the users wouldn't have had a problem, as library mode would have been all setup for them, and no matter where they clicked they would have at least gotten a video or two.

The main problem is when things aren't setup - that's where the single button wins for usability - clicking it gives you files view and access to media. The 3 items then is only confusing because lots of people don't know what "Videos" is compared to "Movies". No idea how to fix that (without fixing the underlying problem with XBMC!)

One real simple way to make the 3 items more usable for new users would be to condition the movies + shows buttons based on whether there's anything in the library. I think Jezz_X does this on the slide-out menu?

Cheers,
Jonathan

- skunkm0nkee - 2009-07-07

jmarshall Wrote:One real simple way to make the 3 items more usable for new users would be to condition the movies + shows buttons based on whether there's anything in the library. I think Jezz_X does this on the slide-out menu?
Makes sense, will maybe have a play with that when I revisit the original MediaStream code.

- Jezz_X - 2009-07-07

The whole seperate Tv shows and Movies and Videos thing I think basically comes down to your familiarity with how xbmc works.
If your a complete noob and click on TV Shows and its completely empty I'm sure it is confusing.
But if you have been using XBMC for a while and are fimiliar with the whole video library and fetching meta data to fill it. It really is a great addon to be able to link directly too it for easy access.
But yeah like jmarshall said I currently make sure that the buttons (in the side menu) don't even show if you don't have content for them in the library. And if I add it to the main menu it will be the same. You wont even be able to enable them if you don't have any content

- taxigps - 2009-07-07

Jezz_X Wrote:Glad it worked I sent you a PM on the forum

I have sent the Chinese (Simple) string.xml file to you, please check it.

- Hitcher - 2009-07-07

Jezz_X Wrote:But yeah like jmarshall said I currently make sure that the buttons (in the side menu) don't even show if you don't have content for them in the library. And if I add it to the main menu it will be the same. You wont even be able to enable them if you don't have any content
Is that a 'yes' then? Wink

- Jezz_X - 2009-07-07

taxigps Wrote:I have sent the Chinese (Simple) string.xml file to you, please check it.
Yep got it and added it big thanks

Hitcher Wrote:Is that a 'yes' then? Wink
guess you will have to wait and see Laugh

- thrasherx - 2009-07-07

skunkm0nkee Wrote:I agree that having 3 video type options on the home screen may be confusing initially but there is logic behind it and once learned it's fairly easy to remember.

In that usability test, did they find it any easier to go into videos and then toggle between files and library modes? To me, that is where having only 1 link falls down as having a toggle on a (hidden) inner menu is not an ideal way to approach it either.

I guess there may be an argument for having 2 links on the home screen, one for Video Files and one for Video Library? (Personally I still prefer the 3 but that's because I've gotten used to it)

+1. I've said it once and I'll say it again. Media Center applications AREN'T for everyone. You have to take the time to obtain/rip your content, do coverart, and manage everything constantly. If it's not your thing, then I'd suggest sticking with WMC. The 3 video links on the home screen could at least be enabled under settings.

- jochenz - 2009-07-07

WOW!

today downloaded you 0.8.8 version...and I must say:

IT ROCKZ!

- native media flagging is utlimately cool and something I was looking for quite a while now. Did not know it was already possible without running a media manger of some kind!
- videos displayed in home screen looks sweet too...

you bring it altogether man!

I 'll be tracking this skin from now!

thanks!

- Jezz_X - 2009-07-07

UPDATED TO VERSION 0.9.0

CHANGES
* fixed can't get to recently added in home if you have no movies in your library
* Added Fanart Type media info view for Music Artist http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6286/screenshot119.jpg
* Added Album info view to music library (mostly for albums with descriptions) http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4156/screenshot120c.jpg
* Added Only show home screen "Play Disc" button if media is detected option to skin settings. (now you will have to get up to eject the drive Tongue)
* Moved recently added to side by side layout instead of top/bottom fixes navigation and makes it easier for media playback conditions
* Changed Video Preview Now Playing in home changes to suit 4x3 aspect ratio (needs xbmc revision 21425 or later to work)
* fixed Weather button would vanish if you enabled Weather fanart but didn't set the path to it
* Added Chinese (Simple) translation based on MediaStream_Redux version 0.8.8 (thanks taxigps on the XBMC forum)
* Added "Arial" font set for easy font substitution to other languages (like Chinese (Simple)) just add your languages font file to the skins fonts directory and rename it Arial.ttf then select Arial in XBMC Appearence Settings
* Removed 2 font files not used
* Added the Much asked for "Movies" and "TV Shows" buttons to the home screen they are disabled by default so you will have to go into skin settings and enable them (and supply your own backgrounds default is same as "Videos" button).

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

- mkortstiege - 2009-07-07

Thanks again Jezz Wink

- Hitcher - 2009-07-07

Jezz_X Wrote:UPDATED TO VERSION 0.9.0

CHANGES
* Added the Much asked for "Movies" and "TV Shows" buttons to the home screen they are disabled by default so you will have to go into skin settings and enable them (and supply your own backgrounds default is same as "Videos" button).

Huge thanks for this.

- Broads - 2009-07-07

Whoop Whoop nice one Jezz...

Time for me (or anyone else) to update the horiz menu mod.!

- Jezz_X - 2009-07-07

Yeah this will be the last version for a while unless anyone finds a huge bug so you should have a bit of time before you need to update it again

- vanvonno - 2009-07-07

Using Media info 2 view the plot in TV-series and Movies is not scrolling although i have enabled scrolling in settings. it does in the info window and on the plot for movies, but not there.

- jochenz - 2009-07-07

sweet!
will try 2nite!