Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- Scott R - 2009-11-15

schneidz Wrote:^ in case there is still confusion, your atheros AR5007EG a/b/g card is not capable of high transfer (wireless-n) speeds.

your router is wireless-n capable.
I think he knows this. If I understand correctly, his original post said that it was a shame that the Linux version only had 802.11g and not 802.11n. I'm guessing that he is outside of the USA and bought a Revo w/Linux and the 802.11g card pre-installed, which I believe was/is a possible configuration for the Revo's outside of the USA.

deadite66, if you want/need this to be wireless and already have an 802.11n router, why not buy an 802.11n USB stick?

video problems - tiphae - 2009-11-15

Hey guys,

I recently bought an Acer Revo and installed the XBMC Live iso with nvidia drivers packaged in that was linked from the lifehacker site.

Everything has gone well but it won't play half of the movies and/or television shows I have on the external drive I have plugged into it. My xbox 360 can read them all fine, as does my laptop, but when I try to select one of the nonworking files through XBMC, the preview is just black and nothing happens. If I keep trying it will eventually say something about too many failures.

The files were encoded through either handbrake or visualhub over the past couple years and are .mp4 format of varying sizes. The size doesn't seem to matter as it'll play some of both large and small size but not others.

Anyone have any idea? Any help is greatly appreciated.

- schneidz - 2009-11-15

Scott R Wrote:I think he knows this. If I understand correctly, his original post said that it was a shame that the Linux version only had 802.11g and not 802.11n. I'm guessing that he is outside of the USA and bought a Revo w/Linux and the 802.11g card pre-installed, which I believe was/is a possible configuration for the Revo's outside of the USA.
thanks for the clarification, i misunderstood.
Scott R Wrote:deadite66, if you want/need this to be wireless and already have an 802.11n router, why not buy an 802.11n USB stick?
do they make 802.11-n usb adapters ? if usb 2.0 has a transfer rate of 25 mbit/s and wireless-n has a transfer rate of 100 mbit/s, wouldnt it defeat the purpose ?

edit: they do have them (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10250949-58.html) so usb must be much faster than i think.

- Scott R - 2009-11-15

schneidz Wrote:edit: they do have them (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10250949-58.html) so usb must be much faster than i think.
Indeed. USB 2.0 has a theoretical maximum speed of 480Mbps. I'm not sure what the actual/realistic limit typically is.

Of course, using 802.11n to stream Blu-ray rips could be problematic due to the inherent flakiness of wireless in general. But if you've got a strong enough signal, I would think it ought to work. USB 802.11n sticks can be found quite cheap these days. I need to probably upgrade my wireless router (or buy a 2nd one for 802.11n video streaming only) and try this out. I've got a "high speed" powerline networking box for one of my rooms. It was working fine when I was streaming standard-def DVD .ISO's to my classic XBox running XBMC. But it doesn't look like it's getting a strong enough signal for high-def video streaming, and running ethernet to that room would be tricky.

revo-related - MPF13 - 2009-11-15

Out of curiosity:

I know the Revo has a mini PCIe slot inside where the wireless card would be if I had one. I've got a spare mini PCIe 8gb SSD hanging around from when I upgraded a Dell mini 9 a while back - has anyone attempted shoving one of these inside and seeing if it's a) recognized and b) hopefully even bootable?

Success - Qooop - 2009-11-15

Well, I have now to report success at getting XBMC-Live Camelot Alpha-2 working perfectly. I have been mucking about with the original install linked in the first post here, other Babylon installs, and Camelot Alpha-1 for over a week. My first problem was the judders. I kept getting them no matter what. My second problem was that if I used Putty to change anything, the next time I rebooted it took me to a Linux text screen where I was lost. My third problem was a failure to get the install CD to function, it to constantly took me to the password text entry area after I selected the install option. For some reason that command prompt screen plagued me to no end.

I had been waiting on my slow delivery of RAM from Newegg (DHL>USPS) and on Saturday it finally came. So I decided to try several things at once. Unfortunately I do not know which one of these fixes was the one that worked.

The Possible Fixes:
1. The install problem. I took the whole damn thing apart, took out the hard drive, hooked it up to a SATA->USB adapter I had to a laptop, and rebooted the install CD (with Camelot Alpha-2) over and over until it took me to the actual install screen after I selected the Install option. I then used it to install to the hard drive externally. (I also intsalled to a 4GB SanDisk Cruiser but haven't tried it yet).

2. Added the RAM. Went in kind of hard but it showed up after I put the whole damn thing back together again and fired it up. The first thing I noticed with the RAM upgrade (Crucial 1GB 200-PIN DDR2 SODIMM 128Mx64PC2-6400) was the speed of start up was much faster. This is compared to the first install of the Live version in the first post. The menu changes are noticeably faster and I don't see tearing when they change like I did with the original.

I fired up a 3 hour BR rip (used MakeMKV) of The Watchmen. This movie was very easy to tell before as in the very beginning when the happy face pin fist showed on screen it would jump. Surprisingly, my old Popcorn Hour A-100 was able to play this smoothly. Now my Revo XBMC does also.

Also, the Camelot Alpha-2 comes with the SVN Installer and is built on a later build of Ubuntu so the Apple Movie Trailers Lite was easy to install.

Well that's it, I just got it running and wrote this post so I haven't tried out much or watched a full movie yet so I will try to check it out today and post if I have any new problems.

sound sync problems - tiphae - 2009-11-15

Hey folks,

I recently bought an acer aspire revo and installed the xbmc live with nvidia drivers image that was linked from the lifehacker site. But I've been having a couple of problems:

First, this install of xbmc doesn't play all of my video. I have a lot of tv shows and movies encoded to .mp4 format, and they have all been playing fine on my xbox 360 before changing over to the revo. Now though, many of the files won't play, if I select them it just does nothing, and if I keep trying to play them I'll eventually get an error about too many failures, and will have to reboot the revo to get it to play anything again.

Second, I made and transferred a .asoundrc file to the revo to get menu sounds working through hdmi, and while those are now working, ALL video has a 5 second delay where the is no audio at all. After 5 seconds, the video gets kinda choppy and slows down, and the audio starts from the beginning. The video stays slow for another 5 seconds or so, until the audio has caught up with the video, and then it plays fine for the rest of the file. This was not happening until I tried getting the menu sounds to work.

Anyone have any ideas on either? :mad:

- BooGz - 2009-11-16

I just installed xbmc to a usb key for my revo, but it is unable to recognize any sata or esata drives that is either built in or externally attached to the pc.... cand anyone help?

- Qooop - 2009-11-16

BooGz Wrote:I just installed xbmc to a usb key for my revo, but it is unable to recognize any sata or esata drives that is either built in or externally attached to the pc.... cand anyone help?

Maybe this link can answer your question but I am not sure about the USB drives. try it and see.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50489

- fatsarmstrong - 2009-11-16

I installed Camelot Alpha 2 to a USB drive for my Revo, when I try to boot from the USB drive i just get a blank screen with a blinking cursor towards the middle of the screen. I cannot type anything and I am stuck there, does anybody know what I am doing wrong? Do I need to change some files when I install to the USB?

- Scott R - 2009-11-16

I installed Camelot Alpha 2 to a USB stick and ran it on my Revo without a problem. Just to be sure...

- You initially booted up the .ISO Camelot Alpha 2 install disc with a CD/DVD-ROM drive
- You selected the option to install it to a drive
- You landed at a login prompt, logged in as xbmc/xbmc, then ran "sudo installXBMC" to get things going again
- You chose your USB drive as the drive you wanted to install to
- You waited for this to complete
- You selected 'Y' to create a user storage area (or however it is labeled)
- You waited patiently for this step to complete (the previous step took several minutes for my 8GB USB stick)
- You then rebooted, broke into the Revo bootup menu, and selected the USB stick to boot from

- fatsarmstrong - 2009-11-17

Initial Note, I am running the XBMC Live install. I am installing to the USB Drive from a Windows Vista box because my Revo doesn't have an Optical Drive. So I burn the ISO to CD on my Mac, move the installer CD to the PC and install to the USB Drive. After that completes I plug it into the Revo and boot. this process worked with the stable drive but isn't working with Camelot Alpha 1 or Alpha 2. Answers below.

- You initially booted up the .ISO Camelot Alpha 2 install disc with a CD/DVD-ROM drive - Yes
- You selected the option to install it to a drive - Yes, I select my USB Drive
- You landed at a login prompt, logged in as xbmc/xbmc, then ran "sudo installXBMC" to get things going again - Never got this step
- You chose your USB drive as the drive you wanted to install to - yes, in the previous step I ran.
- You waited for this to complete - Yes
- You selected 'Y' to create a user storage area (or however it is labeled) - Yes
- You waited patiently for this step to complete (the previous step took several minutes for my 8GB USB stick) - Yes
- You then rebooted, broke into the Revo bootup menu, and selected the USB stick to boot from - I boot and I have the boot order set to boot from the USB drive

- calebdk - 2009-11-17

fatsarmstrong Wrote:I installed Camelot Alpha 2 to a USB drive for my Revo, when I try to boot from the USB drive i just get a blank screen with a blinking cursor towards the middle of the screen. I cannot type anything and I am stuck there, does anybody know what I am doing wrong? Do I need to change some files when I install to the USB?

Just got my acer revo r3610 last week and have used a lot of time to try making it play without stutter. So maybe i need your help sometime ^^

But this problem i can help you with. Its because the grub bootloader is old or something. I used this guide to make a working USB XBMC live boot disk. You can use Unetbootin in windows. I didn't do whats in the "UPDATE 2" section seems to be working fine without it.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49781

- Cylindric - 2009-11-17

Scott R Wrote:I hope that's not true. I bought a cable-less USB IR receiver dongle specifically with the intention of plugging it into that port.

I don't suppose you have any details or a link to this IR receiver? I'm looking for one to augment my Revo too.

Thanks

FTP to External HD - dukegrad91 - 2009-11-17

All,
I was a Plex user on MacMini for a year. The Lifehacker article inspired me to swap out for the lower cost Acer and go with full XBMC.

Net net I followed all of the guides for XBMC Live and have a great working system booting from USB stick. Great work to all for the guides and follow up tweaks. I have one issue on booting from USB stick without going to boot menu but I'll keep researching that.

On all other fronts this has been a great switch and I am happy with MediaStream skin running on an unmodified Acer Revo with 1GB. Using a 1.5TB external drive for content and running through a Onkyo HDMI reciever to my 50in Panny plasma. Using the MCE remote from Lifehacker article (ordered from Newegg) right out of the box with no tweaks. Looks and works great!

My current issue is FTP'ing to the external hard drive to add more content. I have done the tweaks with Putty and using Filezilla to push update config files (for HDMI and for remote control sounds) and that works. What I can't find/figure out is how to access the external HD from Filezilla so I can push more content onto that box. I like having the local HD access for my Revo (vs. SAMBA shares).

When I pull up Filezilla I only see the XBMC USB drive and its files. I have looked through a number of the directories looking for a link to the external HD but havn't found it. Its there because XBMC sees it for my content. I just can't get to it via FTP.

I am a linux noob so appreciate what may be obvious pointers / help to make this work from an FTP client (vs. terminal). Your help is much appreciated.