Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- wolfsmith - 2009-11-24

If you are using OSX and you're having a hard time making an XBMC Live USB installer, read my post for a quick how-to using virtualization software like Parallels.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=444282
Now apple users can get their Revo's up and running the best media center program available.

- darylzero9000 - 2009-11-25

This may be a really stupid question, but before I do it I hope someone can confirm it for me.
I have downloaded and burned xbmc-live-9.11-b1.zip from http://xbmc.org/download/

I need to install it to a USB stick before I put it on my Revo. When I boot to the disc on my computer with a dvd drive I get the choice to install to hard disk. On my older install disk for xbmc live it asked if I would like to install to disk (usb or HDD).

My question is if I click on install to disk on the xbmc-live-9.11-b1 version will it porpmt me down the line to install to usb if thats what I want? I do not want to accidentally overwrite my OS on my main comp.

Also, does xbmc-live-9.11-b1 include the NVIDIA drivers?

Any help would be appreciated.

- beebul - 2009-11-25

Quote:Also, does xbmc-live-9.11-b1 include the NVIDIA drivers?

I would also like to know this... want to upgrade but I did it from a Live CD ISO file that had the NVidia drivers built in...

- snubz - 2009-11-26

beebul Wrote:I would also like to know this... want to upgrade but I did it from a Live CD ISO file that had the NVidia drivers built in...

Me too, same question!! Huh

- nabberuk - 2009-11-26

anyone know of any other mirrors for this? link on first post has exceeding bandwidth limits and the torrent site is down?

thanks

- Qooop - 2009-11-26

darylzero9000 Wrote:This may be a really stupid question, but before I do it I hope someone can confirm it for me.
I have downloaded and burned xbmc-live-9.11-b1.zip from http://xbmc.org/download/

I need to install it to a USB stick before I put it on my Revo. When I boot to the disc on my computer with a dvd drive I get the choice to install to hard disk. On my older install disk for xbmc live it asked if I would like to install to disk (usb or HDD).

My question is if I click on install to disk on the xbmc-live-9.11-b1 version will it porpmt me down the line to install to usb if thats what I want? I do not want to accidentally overwrite my OS on my main comp.

Also, does xbmc-live-9.11-b1 include the NVIDIA drivers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, the new install process does get to the USB option. It gets a bit confusing after that but it looks like it is just treating the USB drive as a hard drive so I just continued installing through to the end. I think the new install process fixes problems with the previous mostly unattended install which was nice but failed for me 5 out of 6 times.

- Qooop - 2009-11-27

beebul Wrote:I would also like to know this... want to upgrade but I did it from a Live CD ISO file that had the NVidia drivers built in...

Yes. the live version contains NVidia drivers.

- MrDohnuts - 2009-11-27

Has anyone successfully installed the xbmc-live-9.11-b1 onto the Revo using a USB flash drive?

I followed the procedure outlined for previous Live builds:

- Download ISO
- Burn to CD and boot on separate PC
- Choose install to HDD and select my 8GB flash drive
- Boot Revo with flash drive

At this point I expected a menu that allows me to install to the internal HDD, however this is not the case, it just boots off the flash drive into a Linux shell and prompts me to Login.

Where am I going wrong?

UPDATE: I hooked up a USB DVD drive and installed directly to the Revo from the CD - perfect!

FTP issues ... - tpg_sr - 2009-11-27

I have XBMC installed ... love it ... but the FTP thing is driving me nuts. My FTP engine sees the address (192.168.1.8) and while I know the password and put it into the engine, it keeps failing password check. Since I'm no FTP power user, can you assist?

Another topic ... oh, never mind ... I'll post another thread.

thanks

tpg

Web Browsing ... - tpg_sr - 2009-11-27

While I love the Acer w/ XBMC, I thought I'd like to install a Linux distro first, then layer XBMC over it so I could "have my cake and eat it too". Alas, after 2 solid days of installing, locking up, etc., I've given up and gone to just straight XBMC. But if someone would like to suggest a Distro to try, I'm all ears.

tpg

ps: tried many flavors of Ubunto as well as EasyPeasy (and it ain't easy ... might be peasy).

- dazex - 2009-11-27

tpg_sr,
I am using Arch Linux. There's instructions/tutorial on the XBMC wiki on how to do this.

Trying to get my cold boot time down to about 20secs.

-Dazex

- tpg_sr - 2009-11-27

Arch looks pretty primitive for a newb like myself ... I'll read more ... thanks

- dazex - 2009-11-27

tpg_sr Wrote:Arch looks pretty primitive for a newb like myself ... I'll read more ... thanks

LOL. I consider myself a newbie too. But a newbie that knows what he wants. Basically, for the Revo as a XBMC media streamer, I want the bare min linux install, purpose built for that purpose.

I like the concept of Arch linux because it's a minimal install and then you add the stuff that you need. That's why it's generally quicker to boot. With distributions like Ubuntu, they throw everything and the kitchen sink so that it works on the most hardware. The end result is more bloat. All this is generally speaking of course. In the hands of a pro, Ubuntu can be as minimal as Arch and Arch can be as bloated as Ubuntu. But I like where Arch starts. Plus, for a newbie like me...I love the coherent documentation of the Arch wiki. Very well done indeed.

Currently, I have Arch booting from the press of the button to the TTY login at 10secs. X server and XBMC takes another 16secs. So 26s total. Compared to my Xbox with XBMC booting at 18s.

I am doing a custom kernel right now and think I can get the whole thing optimize to boot closer to 20s.

Loving all the learning along the way. Currently, XBMC 9.11Beta1 is working just great. Am able to suspend the Revo and wake it up via remote. The wakeup process takes 6-7secs. So that's pretty fast and probably what I will be doing most of the time anyways. So at least I am happy there.

Anyways, just sharing my direction and result in relation to the question you originally ask about linux distro. Definitely stay with Ubuntu minimal install if you want direct support from the XBMC dev team.

Just my 2cents...
-Dazex

- tpg_sr - 2009-11-27

most excellent points !!

thanks for the direction ... and I think that was at LEAST 10 cents worth ;-)

t

- Qooop - 2009-11-27

tpg_sr Wrote:I have XBMC installed ... love it ... but the FTP thing is driving me nuts. My FTP engine sees the address (192.168.1.8) and while I know the password and put it into the engine, it keeps failing password check. Since I'm no FTP power user, can you assist?

Another topic ... oh, never mind ... I'll post another thread.

thanks

tpg

Have you tried ssh Port 22 FTP? I also never used it before but I have gotten there with the ssh protocol. There is some free program to do it but I use Directory Opus and it works fine for the ssh FTP.