Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- sege - 2009-11-28

I would like my power button to stop that freaking blinking when my Packard Bell Imax Mini (Well, the Acer Revo then..) is at sleep.

Is this possible to fix without ripping it apart and put a screwdriver thru the led/lamp? Smile

- Qooop - 2009-11-28

sege Wrote:I would like my power button to stop that freaking blinking when my Packard Bell Imax Mini (Well, the Acer Revo then..) is at sleep.

Is this possible to fix without ripping it apart and put a screwdriver thru the led/lamp? Smile

Black Electrical Tape.

- Scott R - 2009-11-28

sege Wrote:I would like my power button to stop that freaking blinking when my Packard Bell Imax Mini (Well, the Acer Revo then..) is at sleep.

There is supposedly an updated BIOS that allows you to turn off all lights. I have not tried this myself.

- schneidz - 2009-11-28

tpg_sr Wrote:While I love the Acer w/ XBMC, I thought I'd like to install a Linux distro first, then layer XBMC over it so I could "have my cake and eat it too". Alas, after 2 solid days of installing, locking up, etc., I've given up and gone to just straight XBMC. But if someone would like to suggest a Distro to try, I'm all ears.

tpg

ps: tried many flavors of Ubunto as well as EasyPeasy (and it ain't easy ... might be peasy).
^ i have suggested this before; this mite help:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=429429&postcount=5

- mrjoey35 - 2009-11-28

MrDohnuts Wrote:Has anyone successfully installed the xbmc-live-9.11-b1 onto the Revo using a USB flash drive?

I followed the procedure outlined for previous Live builds:

- Download ISO
- Burn to CD and boot on separate PC
- Choose install to HDD and select my 8GB flash drive
- Boot Revo with flash drive

At this point I expected a menu that allows me to install to the internal HDD, however this is not the case, it just boots off the flash drive into a Linux shell and prompts me to Login.

Where am I going wrong?

UPDATE: I hooked up a USB DVD drive and installed directly to the Revo from the CD - perfect!

I'm having the same problem but dont have the option to hook up an USB drive. Does anyone know where to go from here?

- tpg_sr - 2009-11-28

I found that XMBC was sensitive to booting from CD vs. DVD ... CD worked fine, but DVD was a problem (another member told me that's not uncommon). Anyway, that's my .02.

t

- abmedic - 2009-11-29

Thanks to all and many thanks to burgemaster for the excellent tutorial. I've been running XBMC from my classic Xbox platforms for years and I love it, but I'm upgrading and debating XBMC Live from an Acer Revo versus Plex on a Mac Mini. A few questions on the XBMC Live Install: First, I'm planning to run XBMC Live from a 4GB or 16GB USB drive (I have one of each not currently used), in order to preserve the Windows 7 64-bit install on my Acer Aspire Revo AR3610-U9012. I'd like to keep the dual functionality of having an OS with which I can surf/email on my TV, and the media glories of XBMC. Questions: (1) Any known issues with running XBMC Live from a USB drive, and not installing it to HDD? I hope to be able to preserve and save changes (skins, preferences, etc.) by using a USB drive versus a CD. (2) Can you use the latest XBMC Live version (the Camelot Beta 1, XBMC-Live-9.11-b1.zip available from http://xbmc.org/download/) versus the version you list in this thread? (3) How do I edit an XBMC Live ISO to install the necessary NVIDIA drivers to the latest and greatest XBMC Live build? (I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, just thought it might help me & others with this awesome project) Are there good tutorials on editing XBMC Live ISO files to include the latest Nvidia drivers? I'm a noob anyway, and a ridiculous newbie when it comes to ISO editing/building. Don't have a clue where to start. (4) Does the process you outline work equally well if you keep the original OS (i.e. Win 7 64-bit for me) on the HDD, and run XBMC Live (modified with Nvidia drivers) from the USB drive? All help from anyone is greatly appreciated. Cheers and thank you again for all the excellent information!

- tpg_sr - 2009-11-29

Does anyone know where to get a BIOS update to the Acer Revo 1600? Following the web site, all I find is a warning saying "don't do it unless we tell you to do it". Not saying I want to, but I'd like to have the file in case I need to/want to someday.

- Scott R - 2009-11-29

I think you have to look under the model 3600 to find the BIOS updates. Supposedly that works on the 1600. But, again, I have not done this myself, so do this at your own risk (and do some Googling of your own to find others who have done this).

- Qooop - 2009-11-30

abmedic Wrote:Thanks to all and many thanks to burgemaster for the excellent tutorial. I've been running XBMC from my classic Xbox platforms for years and I love it, but I'm upgrading and debating XBMC Live from an Acer Revo versus Plex on a Mac Mini. A few questions on the XBMC Live Install: First, I'm planning to run XBMC Live from a 4GB or 16GB USB drive (I have one of each not currently used), in order to preserve the Windows 7 64-bit install on my Acer Aspire Revo AR3610-U9012. I'd like to keep the dual functionality of having an OS with which I can surf/email on my TV, and the media glories of XBMC. Questions: (1) Any known issues with running XBMC Live from a USB drive, and not installing it to HDD? I hope to be able to preserve and save changes (skins, preferences, etc.) by using a USB drive versus a CD. (2) Can you use the latest XBMC Live version (the Camelot Beta 1, XBMC-Live-9.11-b1.zip available from http://xbmc.org/download/) versus the version you list in this thread? (3) How do I edit an XBMC Live ISO to install the necessary NVIDIA drivers to the latest and greatest XBMC Live build? (I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, just thought it might help me & others with this awesome project) Are there good tutorials on editing XBMC Live ISO files to include the latest Nvidia drivers? I'm a noob anyway, and a ridiculous newbie when it comes to ISO editing/building. Don't have a clue where to start. (4) Does the process you outline work equally well if you keep the original OS (i.e. Win 7 64-bit for me) on the HDD, and run XBMC Live (modified with Nvidia drivers) from the USB drive? All help from anyone is greatly appreciated. Cheers and thank you again for all the excellent information!

All the Live versions of camelot have the Nvidia drivers. The latest Beta has a more complicated install but is pretty easy.

I had trouble installing to USB but others report success. As much as I wanted to keep the original OS I found that the Revo is such a great dedicated XBMC Set Top Box that I went out and bought another one for the other uses. It's only $200. I paid more than that for my iPod.

- pookguy88 - 2009-12-01

Ok I've read this entire thread and I can't seem to find an answer to this question, I want to make a bootable USB drive and from what I gather from the tutorial, all I have to do is download the ISO (newest version), burn it to a CD/DVD, copy the contents to a USB thumb drive, plug it into the Revo, and boot from the Revo? Don't I have to prep the USB drive to make it bootable?

My goal is to just install XBMC onto the Revo HD. Also someone mentioned earlier on that I'd need to change something in the config file of XBMC to boot=USB instead of boot=CD or something?

thanks

- schneidz - 2009-12-01

^ i assume the hd/ usb installer automagically makes a drive bootable; what i would do is run fdisk on it and set up a partition and boot flag on the usb.

i think the 'boot=' setting is not set if you use unetbootin; i would examine the boot options (highlight your choice and select 'e' in grub) to make sure it makes sense.

- stefimke - 2009-12-01

Any ideas on what playback settings to use in XBMC 9.11Beta1?

Whenever I enable any of the new settings I get stuttering video playback, even SD-stuff:
* adjust display refresh rate to match video
* sync playback to display

I was hoping these settings would finally resolve the light stuttering I was experiencing with some HD movies, but now it seems to be even worse.

- BennyB - 2009-12-02

galleren Wrote:I'm having some trouble installing XBMC Live (using the image linked by burgemaster) via a USB Flash stick.

After booting up the initial screen (where you select if you want to load XBMC Live with Nvidia, Ati drivers etc or install to HDD) it just sorta hangs with a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen. This happens after selecting either to load XBMC Live or install to HDD. The XBMC logo then appears for a little while, then a black screen with just the cursor blinking.

Any suggestions?

Hi Galleren,

Did you have any luck with this as I'm getting the same issue. I've tried changing all the boot=cd to boot=usb within the syslinux.cfg file but no luck.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Ben

- Qooop - 2009-12-02

pookguy88 Wrote:Ok I've read this entire thread and I can't seem to find an answer to this question, I want to make a bootable USB drive and from what I gather from the tutorial, all I have to do is download the ISO (newest version), burn it to a CD/DVD, copy the contents to a USB thumb drive, plug it into the Revo, and boot from the Revo? Don't I have to prep the USB drive to make it bootable?

My goal is to just install XBMC onto the Revo HD. Also someone mentioned earlier on that I'd need to change something in the config file of XBMC to boot=USB instead of boot=CD or something?

thanks

Partially correct.

After you burn the CD, this works best if you have an external optical drive, plug the USB optical drive into the Revo, insert the USB thumb drive, When the Revo turns on press F12 and it will go into a boot source menu. Select the optical drive. When it boots, there will be a menu. The first item will boot the Revo into XBMC from the optical drive. Down lower is an option to install to a drive. Select it and follow the instructions to install to the thumb. After it is complete, the next time it boots press the F12 again and select the USB thumb drive.

Alternatively, when the Revo starts to boot press DEL and find the boot order menu. This will allow you to select the USB drive to permanently boot from as the default so you won't have to press F12 all the time.

If you don't have a USB optical then you can follow the same boot procedure from another computer to install to the thumb but be careful you don't wipe the hard drive on the other computer.

Clear as mud but much easier than it sounds.