Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- FreakinAye - 2009-12-23

gswarriorfan Wrote:any tutorials on how to make a logitech harmony work with xbmc live?

When you add a new device to your logitech harmony, use manufacturer Microsoft and set device to "MCE Keyboard" (it's not in the dropdown). Then you can set buttons to keyboard presses. that's what I did for my win7 xbmc box

Qooop Wrote:I just did a new install from scratch. I think there are less potential problems that way. No drivers needed.

You used the stock 9.11 live iso (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc/files/XBMC%20Live/pre-release/xbmc-live-9.11-rc1.zip/download) and you don't need separate drivers for VDPAU on the Revo?

- rchapoteau - 2009-12-23

Added the memory. I think any issues I had are now gone but I'm going ot have to do further testing. One thing I think the OP should include in his post is a link to this video that shows how to actually open the box. I had a hell of a time trying to figure it out. Thankfully someone on youtube showed me :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ayQOyTEWRw

- NiklasK - 2009-12-23

OK, I´m hoping somebody here could help me out. I´ve serached this forum as well as other websites but havent found answers.

I got my Revo 3610 yesterday. It was preinstalled with some sort of Linux OS that looked like a command prompt. My plan is to install xbmc live on the HD.

When I entered the BIOS to edit the settings according to the recommendations in this thread it looked different. There is no option for RevoBoot, you cant edit the iGPU just UMA. Is this something I should do anything about or is the live installation work anyway?

Please advice

/Niklas

RC! Release Candidate Problems - Rob Xbox User - 2009-12-23

Current problems after install.

1. Previous display settings won't work. VDPAU setting shown however. I replaced the config with my previous 1080p config and XBMC didn't start.

2. Where is the home folder - can't seem to find in during FTP?

3. Unable to change volume whilst playing a film.
Any soloutions?

Thanks in advance

Rob

- schneidz - 2009-12-24

hi, i dont have a keyboard plugged into my revo; only an mce remote.
i have xbmc-live on a usb plugged into the revo but it keeps booting into windows.
what bios setting has to be set in order for it to boot from a usb device (i put 'removeable device' as the first boot option under 'advanced bios settings' in the cmos setup but it still boots into windows) ?
thx.

there is an option for 'boot priority' where it would list the internal drive and usb drive; hitting '+' would toggle which one it sees first

- schneidz - 2009-12-24

keystroke Wrote:Troubles with booting XBMC Live from USB stick? Me too...

Here is what worked for me on the Revo 1600.

Follow the directions in the tutorial to set your BIOS config to boot from "Removable Drive". (Another good tip not in the tutorial is to remove all other boot options so that if USB boot fails it quits trying to boot to !@#$%$ Windows).

Reboot again, but this time hit F12 at teh first splash screen (instead of Delete)

This will present you with a menu to select your boot device. For me, it was the internal HDD or "Sandisk Cruzer" (my USB stick). Select whatever corresponds to your USB device. Hit enter.

The box will reboot again, but this time it will boot to the first XBMC menu screen. Great success.

Best wishes and I hope this helps.

(Yeah, I am too cheap to go buy a USB DVD drive just to boot my HTPC 1x)

i hope this only has to be done once, because in my setup, it would be tedious to have to reach behind my tv, plug in a keyboard, hit f12, unplug the keyboard, put the revo back on the shelf behind the tv, ... everytime i want to watch a movie.

i thought it was a generic ion board but the bios is strangely different from my zotac ion which is more like a normal pc bios.

- junshi - 2009-12-24

Hi all, I have been following the tips here to get my revo working.
I have seen many links to other posts, but decided to put together what I did to get my system working.

I have a standard 1GB box, and it plays 1080p fine, no jitter:

IF you follow the OP's guide you should have a live version of xbmc working.

-- to get menu sounds working I created a text file asoundrc.txt, containing:

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}
-- copied it to my revo using SFTP and renamed it - menu sounds now working.--

Next I tried to copy files to my revo, but SFTP was very slow. Time to install SAMBA and create a windows share.

Boot revo, hit ESC and select XBMC - SAFE MODE
login with username "xbmc"
password - whatever you set when you installed XBMC...

-- first off I updated my install --
Code:
sudo apt-get update
-- and --
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
-- Note I left xbmc alone!!! --

-- time to install samba --
Code:
sudo apt-get install samba
-- configure the share --
Code:
sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
-- in the conf file, set the following --
Code:
workgroup = "<your workgroup name if you have one>"
server string = "xbmc"
netbios name = "xbmc"
-- then at the bottom of the conf file, create your share--
Code:
[xbmc]
comment = XBMC Share
path = /home/xbmc
force user = xbmc
inherit permissions = yes
read only = no
guest ok = Yes
-- This created a share called xbmc in my windows workgroup --

-- now I wanted the system to mount USB drives I connect to my revo --
Code:
sudo apt-get install usbmount
-- By default it only supports a few formats types, so --
Code:
sudo nano /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf
-- Inside the conf file change the filesystems line to --
Code:
FILESYSTEMS = "ext2 ext3 vfat ntfs"

--Finally to cure the jitter I was getting --
Code:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
-- Following the guide I found, I made the following changes --
-- Note, if your conf file does not have the entry, then ADD it --
-- In the Monitor Section: --
Code:
HorizSync 31.0 - 69.0
VertRefresh 59.0 - 86.0
-- In the Device Section: --
Code:
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
-- In the Screen Section: --
Code:
Option "TwinView" "False"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
-- And finally, add an Extensions Section: --
Code:
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

-- now to restart --
Code:
sudo reboot

With the above I can push files to the xbmc share at Gbit speeds, or just connect an external NTFS drive with files on. For a test I was able to watch the following with no jitter:
Video 1920x1080 at 22 FPS, 16:9, 18.5 MBit/s
Audio dca, 4800 Hz, 5.1, s16 1536 kb/s (Dolby DTS on my Onkyo)
CPU0 17%, CPU1 14%

TV: 47" Sharp Aquos. Revo connected to Onkyo TX-SR605 reciever, then to the tv, all via HDMI only.

I put this together so I had a place to reference all this, should I need to rebuild! Major thanks to all those people who worked out how to get the above working...

Update:

-- Ok upgraded to the latest version, here goes: --
-- Boot to safe mode, then login. --
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo reboot

Now to update to the latest nvidia drivers.

-- Boot to safe mode and login --
-- lets add our nvidia sources, by editing: --
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

-- add the following to the end of the list --
Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
-- Now save the file and exit --
-- Now to download and install the drivers --
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 71609D4D2F1518FA9C5DC0FB1DABDBB4CEC06767

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic nvidia-glx-190
sudo reboot

-- note after this step I booted back to safe mode, and noticed that the nvidia package had errors. Also the screen would refresh about every 30 seconds. To finish up the installation and get everything working: --
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++5 dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)

sudo reboot

Viewing my previous test movie, I now get:
Video 1920x1080 at 24fps (was 22), 16:9, 20MBit/s (was 18)
Audio dca, 4800 Hz, 5.1, s16 2400kb/s (was 1536) (Dolby DTS on my Onkyo)
CPU0 15% (was 17%), CPU1 8% (was 14%)

No stutter while viewing HD content.

Linux version: 2.6.28-11-generic
XBMC version: 9.11 r26018
Nvidia driver version: 190.53

22 fps? - skmichi - 2009-12-25

junshi,
good to have all that configuration stuff in one placeSmile
I just want to ask about the FPS - you have 22 FPS - is that enough to have smooth motion?

- edbro - 2009-12-25

I am trying to install the newly released 9.11 but I'm running into problems. I have easily installed 9.11b2 but this release always ends up with a red screen proclaiming that a step failed. This always happens right after partitioning the disk to use the entire disk. Right after that I get the red fail screen. It says I can try to go to the next step, which is install, but it immediately goes back to the fail screen.

I have redownloaded the live image with the same result. I am using unetbootin to create the bootable usb drive. Again, I can easily go back and install 9.11b2 but I'd like to get this release working. Anybody else try 9.11 release?

Edit:
Okay, I found out it isn't just me.
http://xbmc.org/team-xbmc/2009/12/24/xbmc-9-11-camelot/
Quote:Update: It looks like there’s a problem with the live installer causing installation to fail. Please hold tight while we look into it.

Update #2: Turns out the live issue was brought on by a last-minute upstream change. We’ll get this fixed ASAP, though due to the holidays, we ask for your patience.

- rchapoteau - 2009-12-26

You can install RC1 and then do the update to full. That worked for me.

However when I installed RC1 I wasn't able to play 1080p movies properly. i was getting a lot of jitter. I just reinstalled 9.0.4 instead. 9.1.1 is nice, but its not really working so well :-(

Ok, after doing mroe reading I found that I needed to update my NVIDIA drivers after installing RC1. I went back and re-installed RC1, did the update, then did the aptitude update/upgrade to 9.1.1 final and so far everything looks great.

- dmillerct - 2009-12-26

rchapoteau Wrote:Ok, after doing mroe reading I found that I needed to update my NVIDIA drivers after installing RC1. I went back and re-installed RC1, did the update, then did the aptitude update/upgrade to 9.1.1 final and so far everything looks great.

How did you go about updating the NVIDIA drivers?

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p=461700&postcount=14

- junshi - 2009-12-26

Quote:junshi,
good to have all that configuration stuff in one place
I just want to ask about the FPS - you have 22 FPS - is that enough to have smooth motion?

Well regular film is 24fps.
To be honest it looked great. I really didn't think about the FPS till you mentioned that!

After the fixes I applied for the 'jitter', the change are night and day...
This has now replaced my D-Link DSM520 as the main digital source. The only issues I continue to have are streaming online content, but I believe that is more related to my network, than anything else.

Right now I am trying to find sources encoded with different audio formats as I am trying to see what my Onkyo will play... (I know it supports pretty much everything out there, but I want to see what XBMC can hand off...).

- headcase - 2009-12-26

Can anyone tell me why, anytime I SSH to xbmc-live 9.11 Rc1 installed to the HDD, the next time it boots to cmd prompt? I'd really like to do some modifications via SSH instead of directly on the box.

Thanks