Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- schneidz - 2009-12-29

edbro Wrote:Yes, mine worked out of the box and I'm using hdmi. I got the remote mentioned in the Lifehacker writeup.

Now I'm using my Harmony remote that I learned from signals off the mce remote. The only thing I can't figure out is how to wake XBMC from the remote. For that matter, I can't figure out how to wake the Revo using any method. I have to power it all the way down then back on again. Can anybody help with that? I know I have to edit the rc.local but I can't figure out how to get write permissions. I can edit it but I can't commit it.

^ sudo maybe,

my mce remote works fine with vga but stops working with hdmi.
maybe my revo or hdmi cable or tv is blasting some signal interfering with the remote...
hdmi shouldnt affect the usb bus unless i'm not understanding something.

- that_guy - 2009-12-29

For the wake from remote with an MCE remote, there was a link on the forum somewhere to a wiki page that explained it, but I did some legwork and got it sorted for the Revo.

You need to add the following to your /etc/rc.local:
Code:
echo USB0>/proc/acpi/wakeup
echo "rc.local has completed sucessfully." >> /tmp/resume.log
That second line isn't strictly necessary, but just adds some logging.

Note: For this to work, the IR receiver needs to be plugged into the USB slot next to the Power button. If you change the "USB0" to "USB2" the system will use the top/back USB ports to wake. This didn't work on my setup because I have an external HDD hooked up, and that woke the system immediately after suspend.

bigfoot2355 Wrote:Hey guys, so I followed the guide and it works *perfectly* and have yet to find something even 1080p that it can't play (thanks!).
However, I am not able to connect via ethernet (router is in another room) and since the revo doesn't have built in wireless I had a belkin usb (b/g) lying around, but it doesn't recognize it! I was wondering if there were any guides to get it working and recognized in XBMC. I have been scouring the forums and haven't turned up anything. Since I chose the minimal install as with the directions, I don't know how to proceed. Any help (or tips to point me in the right direction) would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks!
There's a good chance that your dongle isn't supported in Linux. Check http://www.linuxwireless.org to double check. Make sure you know the model number/revision, because different revision numbers within the same model have different chipsets, which may or may not be supported.

I ordered a Mini-PCIe networking card that I'm going to try to install. I'll keep y'all posted.

- jonuwz - 2009-12-29

campbeln Wrote:What BIOS version do you have (hit DEL at startup and enter the information page)? I've got A1, but the support site has A3 and an A4L(inux) versions available, so I'm going to do BIOS upgrade today and see if that helps.

And which "live-usb stable" version is it you're using? 9.11-repack?

As to the question of low res's and the panel... my Onkyo up/down/cross converts everything to 720p so that shouldn't be the issue. Also, I've gotten low res (ie- the BIOS POST screen) on the panel 3-4 times, but I cannot say if that was thru the Onkyo or direct to the panel (I generally try both before giving up on an attempt) but they were after reboots only (never on an initial load).

Last night I got Ubuntu 9.10 KK on it, installed the Nvidia drivers and even though it reconized the Onkyo as the second monitor, I couldn't get it to push a signal. I used 185.3?, 190.53 and the 195.?? beta versions of the driver with no love.

Now I'm trying to get a XP bootable USB key together (man, that is harder then it should be!?) to get Winblows back on the system. Originally the stock Acer Windows install did successfully push a signal to the panel via hdmi, but in my initial issues getting XBMC installed I blew away that install figuring I'd just reinstall later (one of my MANY mistakes on this project!).

I'm really thinking it's a BIOS version issue at this point, but it worked from Windows originally with this BIOS, but maybe the Linux drivers are assuming a newer version... I donno... I'm a programmer! I don't deal with the hardware stuff =)

Will report back...

Cn

I have the revo hooked up to a panasonic tx-p46g10 via an onkyo 507

Not sure what bios version i have, and won't be able to find out until monday. I have read that A1 did break audio over hdmi.

John

- campbeln - 2009-12-30

Bad_Ad84 Wrote:you do realise the brand means nothing here right? you are going to do exactly the same with any other machine you get, its not going to be any different.

and why are you going to the acer website for drivers? just goto nvidia and get the latest ion drivers, it will install everything...

and xp, you should really just install it to a smaller partition of its own.... just create the partitions yourself before you do the install.

Fair point (re: same system hardware under the hood) but once bitten, twice shy... and everyone else seems to love these ION systems! I seem to have gotten a lemon as my HDMI didn't act the same as others have reported AT ALL (not to mention all the unexplained crashes/errors/issues). If I had "exactly the same [experience]" I'd have been happy, but my hardware was gorked so I had anything but "exactly the same" =(

As for drivers... read my posts, I went EVERYWHERE. Only under duress did I go to Acer's site because those are SUPPOSED to work with the hardware, and even they didn't (without major fighting).

And regarding putting WinXP on a smaller partition... if installing from a USB WinXP seems to freak out if you have multiple partitions (I only had 1 with free space left for XBMC and it still freaked out). So based on my research and experience, it's best to take up the entire drive for Windows (if installing from a USB) then re-size that partition down for the Linux dual boot after you get Windows up and running.

Cn

- danzg - 2009-12-30

I just got a Revo 1600, which came preloaded with XP Home (and a ton of @#!$)

I installed XBMC 9.11, and it works quite well. (I don't want a live-install.)

My question is -- should I switch to Windows 7? Will performance for XBMC and games be any better or worse?

I've read that 7 is faster than XP; in other places that it's more of a resource hog.

It's my son's machine -- he just watches movies and plays Lego Star Wars, which is a bit choppy for my tastes.

Will Windows 7 help at all?

Thanks!

Help - Dakurt71 - 2009-12-30

i have a revo 3600 with wireless and 2 gig ram

i erased vista did install beta 1 worked nicely but no wireless and my harmony seup as MCE keyboard did not work anymore (except for arrow keys and volume, i used it previous for my vista XBMC setup) i did have the Apple trailer plugin standard

did new install 9.11 and now i dont have trailers anymore
WHY?

also i can get the keys from my HP remote copied onto my harmony 895 like the real ok and the info and back key, clear key and so much more

i would be ok if i got that working (it would thrill me) pls how can i get mce keyboard on my REVO 3600 , i can live without the wireless, (btw i dont find the vdpau settings anymore but i have no stutter and 5.1 works nicely through hdmi) do i need to install apple trailers my self? and how do i get a prompt to try that wake on remote?

pls guys help , i m going insane , the usb remote reciever is the standerd HP one (for now i m using the apple ipod touch as remote) also, in linuw i have one movie that shows up 6 times insted of one (doesnt happen on my vista and win 7 xbmc)

- Grippen - 2009-12-30

Ok managed to find a solution on how to install 9.11

I was running 9.04.1 on a ION Revo 3600. The normal update -> upgrade was not working. Even the solution for aptitude update -> aptitude upgrade was bringing problems so here is the sequence of commands which put it to work.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get -f install

Finally follow the instructions on how to update the nvidia drivers
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=442452

PS: the sudo apt-get -f install might not be necessary but I run all of these and since I'm no unix expert not sure if that was really necessary

- edbro - 2009-12-30

Doesn't "apt-get upgrade" already update XBMC? Why you you need the "sudo apt-get install XBMC?"

Doesn't the latest install already include the latest nvidia drivers?

- deadite66 - 2009-12-30

edbro Wrote:Doesn't "apt-get upgrade" already update XBMC?"

Doesn't the latest install already include the latest nvidia drivers?

1. yes
2. no

https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa

- snoop2048 - 2009-12-30

Jovack Wrote:I have tried 9.11 repack as well as 9.11 RC2.

No matter what I get the error "No common CD-ROM drive was detected".

This is where my installation fails. I have made sure I have the detect-cdrom/try-usb=true as well.

Ultimately the install fails when it tryies to get preseed.cfg from file:///cdrom/install/preseed.cfg

Any thoughts??

--Rod

Did you fix this? I have the exact same issue. Booting from a USB DVD drive. Not a good start, absolutely infuriating. Sad

- jakejm79 - 2009-12-31

OK so I just picked up my Revo 1600 today and I am loving it. My only problem is lack of DTS surround sound, but that is due to my TV not passing a DTS signal from HDMI to the optical audio out (tho it will pass DD 5.1, I will just suffice with DTS downmixed to stereo until I pick up a Turtle Beach USB sound dongle or see if there is an SPDIF header on the Revo's Mobo). Anyway I used the latest 9-11 repack and used unetboot to put the iso on a 4GB USB stick, I then installed it on to the Revo's HDD. So it seems that 9-11 repack comes with the correct ION nvidia drivers and can be installed via USB.
I have only watched a h264 mkv version of Up so far but it is 1920x1080 and hasn't stuttered once. I think later tonight I will try W7 with xbmc but with WMP (and CoreAVC) doing my external playing duties so I can still get hardware acceleration (and use it the revo for torrents and web browsing and BD playback in the future).

My only problem now is that all these 1080p x264 files are like 10x the size of my old DVD rips Big Grin time for more storage.

Also could anyone with a 3610 take a close up pic of where the optical audio connects to the motherboard. I opened my 1600 up and there is no sign of where the connection would be, also from videos I have seen online it appears that that corner of the motherboard on the 1600 is rounded off and missing a chunk of the PCB vs. the 3610.

- TaterSalad - 2009-12-31

My HDMI sound works with the LIVE disc but not after a fresh install? Any ideas to why this might be happening? I've been to the end of the internet and back trying different configurations with .asoundrc alsa-base.conf aplay alsamixer etc etc. but still nothing, not even speaker-test. I've reached my wits end.

- KeithLM - 2009-12-31

I got the Live install of 9.11 to work fine on my 1600, except for the remote. I'm attempting to use a Harmony with the MCE command set and a USB-UIRT. I can't seem to get the USB-UIRT to be properly recognized. Anybody working with one of these Acers and a USB-UIRT? I've found some other threads on the USB-UIRT but nothing has helped so far.

It Works!!! - NebulaSleuth - 2009-12-31

1080p baby!!! XBMC Live 9.11 and a $200 Revo 1600.

I just watched Star Trek .mkv in 1920x1080 all the way through without a hiccup. The file was 32gb, streamed over gigabit LAN to the small little box that could.

Amazing.

This board was invaluable. Thanks Guys... You Rock!!

Wake on IR and LAN - SweetS2K - 2009-12-31

edbro Wrote:Now I'm using my Harmony remote that I learned from signals off the mce remote. The only thing I can't figure out is how to wake XBMC from the remote. For that matter, I can't figure out how to wake the Revo using any method. I have to power it all the way down then back on again. Can anybody help with that? I know I have to edit the rc.local but I can't figure out how to get write permissions. I can edit it but I can't commit it.

Check your BIOS to support wake on USB... nice to turn on Wake on LAN too.

For Wake on IR:
1. Check BIOS Power Management to ensure Wake on USB is enabled.
2. Boot to Linux/XBMC. Check cat /proc/acpi/wakeup from a terminal session. Make sure USB0 is "enabled". If not enabled, add USB0 with the following:
Code:
echo "USB0" | sudo tee /proc/acpi/wakeup
3. Set XBMC to Suspend when Shutdown. Sorry my box isn't on, so I don't have the exact menu in the Setup. Will provide when I can get to my XBMC.
4. Test. Shutdown XBMC. Use IR Power button to bootup.

I added the command above to my /etc/rc.local so that USB0 is always in the wakeup list since mine wasn't originally.

Hope this helps.