Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- SweetS2K - 2009-12-31

deadite66 Wrote:1. yes
2. no

https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa

Sorry still new to Linux/Ubuntu. Can someone summarize the commands to update/upgrade XBMC / nvidia drivers through the PPAs?

EDIT: Ok. I think I figured it out. Basically, its a "sudo apt-get install [package]". This will remove the old package and install the new package. So what's the best way to be notified of updates to packages? Monitor the PPA pages?

Which nvidia-glx package seems to be working the best for 1080p? I tried the latest 195, and I got more stuttering than my previous 185 package which wasn't bad, but not perfect.

Thanks!

- edbro - 2009-12-31

SweetS2K Wrote:Check your BIOS to support wake on USB... nice to turn on Wake on LAN too.

For Wake on IR:
1. Check BIOS Power Management to ensure Wake on USB is enabled.
2. Boot to Linux/XBMC. Check cat /proc/acpi/wakeup from a terminal session. Make sure USB0 is "enabled". If not enabled, add USB0 with the following:
Code:
echo "USB0" | sudo tee /proc/acpi/wakeup
3. Set XBMC to Suspend when Shutdown. Sorry my box isn't on, so I don't have the exact menu in the Setup. Will provide when I can get to my XBMC.
4. Test. Shutdown XBMC. Use IR Power button to bootup.

I added the command above to my /etc/rc.local so that USB0 is always in the wakeup list since mine wasn't originally.

Hope this helps.
Thank you SweetS2K, I've got it working now.

- edbro - 2009-12-31

This is more of a generic Linux question but can anybody tell me how to copy files from an attached eSata drive to the local hd of the Revo?

- schneidz - 2009-12-31

try doing sudo tail -f /var/log/messages as you plug it in to see what sdx device it attaches to.
then do a sudo mount /dev/sdxy /mnt/wherever

- einstuerzende - 2009-12-31

I'm having two small problems that I'd love a hand with.

I tried live 9.04 first and then installed 9.11 on a revo 1600. When running 9.04 live, I had no trouble mounting and watching videos from a 500 gig usb external hard drive. With the installed Live 9.11, I find that xbmc becomes unresponsive when I try to browse that drive through the video or music browsers. USB flash drives haven't had this problem, but they've been much smaller and had fewer files. It also doesn't seem to have a problem if I'm only looking with the file browser. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Secondly, I haven't had much luck with my usb wireless card. I believe this poster had the same issue:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=468226&postcount=307
But I haven't gotten much out of the suggested solution:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=368080&postcount=3

Anybody else having this problem or able to point me in the right direction? I've been searching and haven't come up with much. Thanks to everyone for all the great work so far; much less intimidating than it could have been without all the guides.

- Birtybasset - 2009-12-31

@ einstuerzende

I had something similar recently. I connect to a single windows share from XBMC and normally when I open it, it goes straight in and I can browse the contents. However all of a sudden when I tried to access it, it took ages to actually open up and be able to browse the contents. I then discovered it was because I had placed a folder in that same share which had 100's maybe thousands of sub folders / files. The folder in question wasn't particularly large, it just had many sub folders / files.

Moved the folder and it was ok again.

- schneidz - 2010-01-01

einstuerzende Wrote:I'm having two small problems that I'd love a hand with.

I tried live 9.04 first and then installed 9.11 on a revo 1600. When running 9.04 live, I had no trouble mounting and watching videos from a 500 gig usb external hard drive. With the installed Live 9.11, I find that xbmc becomes unresponsive when I try to browse that drive through the video or music browsers. USB flash drives haven't had this problem, but they've been much smaller and had fewer files. It also doesn't seem to have a problem if I'm only looking with the file browser. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Secondly, I haven't had much luck with my usb wireless card. I believe this poster had the same issue:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=468226&postcount=307
But I haven't gotten much out of the suggested solution:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=368080&postcount=3

Anybody else having this problem or able to point me in the right direction? I've been searching and haven't come up with much. Thanks to everyone for all the great work so far; much less intimidating than it could have been without all the guides.
can you post the output of
lspci
ifconfig
iwconfig
ifconfig -a

- schneidz - 2010-01-01

schneidz Wrote:my mce remote works fine with vga but stops working with hdmi.
maybe my revo or hdmi cable or tv is blasting some signal interfering with the remote...
hdmi shouldnt affect the usb bus unless i'm not understanding something.

i updated to xbmc-9.11(confluence skin) and now my mce remote works when i connnect my revo 1600 to the tv via hdmi. but now my belkin usb wireless b/g adapter wont connect to my router (it only works when i connect it to my tv with vga).

the weirdness continues...
?

- TheDuffMan - 2010-01-02

Just wanted to say thanks for the guide. After figuring out the USB stick I was trying to use was giving me troubles, the installation went smoothly and HD playback over HDMI is looking great. Thanks!

- gonzus - 2010-01-03

campbeln Wrote:But, considering the MASSIVE departure in experience between what happened to me and my system verses EVERYONE else's experience I read online, I'm now convinced that my system is a lemon. Bad motherboard? Blown capacitor? I donno, I don't fucking care... there is nothing else that can explain all of the issues I've experienced! Oh! And I couldn't even get memtest to run off the 9.11-repack...

This has been a painful, fruitless, horrific experience. And best of all... my wife feels bad for getting me the Xmas present I wanted the most (because she's had to put up with me yelling every four letter word I know at this thing for the last 3 days). An to add further insult to injury, I was advised by the hardware guys at work to avoid Acer as they've had nothing but problems with them in the enterprise environment... so I can't even say I wasn't warned!

So, needless to say this hunk of shit is going back to Buy.com. BUT, can anyone suggest a non-Acer, ION-based XBMC friendly nettop to replace it?

Agh... I'm finially free of this headache/nightmare/frustration... bliss...

Cn

I don't know that this will help, but... You sound exactly like me! My wife could bear witness to that! I am also a programmer and hardware is something of a black box to me. And I have enjoyed (perhaps in a mischievous way) everyone of your posts...

Anyway, I am only starting to experiment with XBMC, initially on a Dell desktop, eventually will move to something like the Revo; so there is not much advise I can give, except for one thing: you need a little of what Anton Ego ordered at Gusteau's: perspective. I bet if you sit down in front of your Revo with a knowledgeable friend, the two of you together will be able to sort it out.

Cheers!

- schneidz - 2010-01-03

^ also, have you tried another usb harddrive... ?

- schneidz - 2010-01-03

SweetS2K Wrote:Check your BIOS to support wake on USB... nice to turn on Wake on LAN too.

For Wake on IR:
1. Check BIOS Power Management to ensure Wake on USB is enabled.
2. Boot to Linux/XBMC. Check cat /proc/acpi/wakeup from a terminal session. Make sure USB0 is "enabled". If not enabled, add USB0 with the following:
Code:
echo "USB0" | sudo tee /proc/acpi/wakeup
3. Set XBMC to Suspend when Shutdown. Sorry my box isn't on, so I don't have the exact menu in the Setup. Will provide when I can get to my XBMC.
4. Test. Shutdown XBMC. Use IR Power button to bootup.

I added the command above to my /etc/rc.local so that USB0 is always in the wakeup list since mine wasn't originally.

Hope this helps.
thx, this worked for me. but my problem is that it is no longer connected to the internet.

is there a way to make it run a program after waking up like:
Code:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
?

- einstuerzende - 2010-01-03

schneidz Wrote:can you post the output of
lspci
ifconfig
iwconfig
ifconfig -a

I hate to say it, but I gave up and bought wireless bridge in town, and that seems to be doing the job. And for whatever reason, it's gotten over its fit and is not having trouble opening my usb drive.

Only NOW it doesn't like any of the utf-8 characters in the folder names. I have TONS of Chinese media, but the names all come up as question marks (for instance, folders titled 陳, 卡, 旺, etc. each show up as "?"). I think xbmc then reads them as a single folder, because even though there are multiple ? folders, no matter which one is selected, the same files show up inside.

I've tried it on two usb drives, and it happens consistently. I've replaced fonts in the skin so I can SEE the files when/if I find them, but xbmc doesn't seem to get the folders clearly enough that I can really use it to listen to/watch anything Chinese. I don't have any trouble if I ftp over the files, though. Anyone else had this problem?

- Maxwell Smart - 2010-01-03

Does anyone else have the problem of the revo not fully suspending and instead bringing the system to a blinking white cursor on a black screen? It seems after that the only way to do anything is to hold down the powerbutton to shut it down and then restart. Any ideas on how to fix this?

- schneidz - 2010-01-03

schneidz Wrote:i updated to xbmc-9.11(confluence skin) and now my mce remote works when i connnect my revo 1600 to the tv via hdmi. but now my belkin usb wireless b/g adapter wont connect to my router (it only works when i connect it to my tv with vga).

the weirdness continues...
?

it seems to be the hdmi cable i am using isnt rf-sheilded or something. i moved the usb wifi adapter from the back of the unit to the one on the front next to the power button and it is able to connect to my router with a low signal strength (about 31 percent as opposed to 62 percent when using vga).
probably an interference issue.