Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- bark02 - 2010-01-08

its me again....

I'm connected to my router,I have an IP address and my router shows an entry for xmbclive, but I can not share anything.

I have xbmc running on a laptop as well as my revo so I can check to see if the shares are working windows 7 to windows xp and they are. I have checked UPNP and SMB and they are both found automatically on my laptop.

I can not get them to work on my revo though. UPNP should just auto find anyway but i have tried finding my SMB automatically and also by typing in the name of my network abd also the name of the computer the share is on.

I can not change the weather locations or getting any actual weather readings from the weather channel so i believe there is a problem.

I can't ping the revo either.

the network page on xbmc has the following stats:

link: connected
MAC address:c:60:78:68:5B:1A but this only comes up every now and again the rest of the time it shows as busy
IP address:192.168.2.194
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.2.1
Primary DNS:192.168.2.1
secondary DNS: blank
Internet: Not connected check network settings, Like MAC address this also shows busy most of the time.

Is it an issue that my gateway and primary DNS are the same?

In network settings -> internet access - I have nothing selected. Should I have use an http proxy sever to access internet ticked?

any ideas

Wake on remote for Aspire Revo 3600 - muis - 2010-01-09

Wake on remote is the last bit I am missing on this wonderful kit. If you've gotten it to work, I'd love to hear how you've set it up:

BIOS
What have you set for:
  • ACPI OS
  • Suspend mode (STR or POS)
  • Wake-on-X (for X n LAN, USB, etc)

XBMC
Have you set XBMC to suspend or hibernate

Linux
Which of the entries in /proc/acpi/wakeup have you set to enabled

USB
What USB port did you plug the receiver into?

Did I miss anything else?

I have a MCE remote receiver, and a HP receiver that appears to have been made by Philips (Philips eHome Infrared Receiver), but they really ought to be the exact same thing to XBMC. I'm using XBMC live 9.11 repack, installed to disk.

- dazex - 2010-01-09

muis Wrote:Wake on remote is the last bit I am missing on this wonderful kit. If you've gotten it to work, I'd love to hear how you've set it up:

BIOS
What have you set for:
  • ACPI OS
  • Suspend mode (STR or POS)
  • Wake-on-X (for X n LAN, USB, etc)

XBMC
Have you set XBMC to suspend or hibernate

Linux
Which of the entries in /proc/acpi/wakeup have you set to enabled

USB
What USB port did you plug the receiver into?

Did I miss anything else?

I have a MCE remote receiver, and a HP receiver that appears to have been made by Philips (Philips eHome Infrared Receiver), but they really ought to be the exact same thing to XBMC. I'm using XBMC live 9.11 repack, installed to disk.

I think you're making this harder than it really is.

I only copy and pasted this line to the terminal:

Code:
echo USB0>/proc/acpi/wakeup

To make it permanent between reboots:

Add to /etc/rc.local
Code:

More info can be found from the original resourced I used: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Enable_Wake-On-Device

I have my XBMC to always go into Suspend mode even when asked to power down. I takes 6-7secs to wake into the XBMC GUI this way. When in suspend mode, the power button light will glow off and on to let you know it's in suspend state. When you press the power button on the remote or the power button on the device itself, the revo will wake up from it's sleep and the power button's light will stay lite.

I am using a Harmony One remote with a Phillips MCE IR dongle. I have attached it to more than one USB port on the back of the unit and they all seem to work fine once I ran the above command.

This worked with the Camelot Live 9.11 repack install and also with my current mini Ubuntu Camelot install following the XBMCubuntu Guide.

Hope that helps you get closer to getting the issue resolved. I wasn't able to reply back to you via email because the forum said you have that option disabled.

-Dazex

- muis - 2010-01-09

dazex Wrote:I think you're making this harder than it really is.

I only copy and pasted this line to the terminal:

Code:

To make it permanent between reboots:

Add to /etc/rc.local
Code:

More info can be found from the original resourced I used: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Enable_Wake-On-Device

I've read that, and pasted that. The screen does go black when I press power, the light on the front stays on, but the revo doesn't come back on when I press power again.

dazex Wrote:I have my XBMC to always go into Suspend mode even when asked to power down. I takes 6-7secs to wake into the XBMC GUI this way. When in suspend mode, the power button light will glow off and on to let you know it's in suspend state. When you press the power button on the remote or the power button on the device itself, the revo will wake up from it's sleep and the power button's light will stay lite.

I'm seeing exactly that except for the waking-up part. Not even from the front-button, BTW, a quick press on that should bring the unit back to life then? Mine doesn't do that either. If I suspend the revo, nothing short of removing the power cord can convince it to resume (long-press on the on/off seems to put it back in suspend).

dazex Wrote:I am using a Harmony One remote with a Phillips MCE IR dongle.
Me too.

dazex Wrote:I have attached it to more than one USB port on the back of the unit and they all seem to work fine once I ran the above command.
OK, so I can stop hunting through those.

- muis - 2010-01-09

I am also running the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.30-pkg1.run (beta) driver from nvidia. I saw mentioned that it would fix the video stuttering (and for me it did).

- dazex - 2010-01-09

muis,
Seems like you got all the elements in place. I just checked my BIOS and in the power management option, I have

ACPI aware OS = Yes
S3 sleep = Yes
Power on by keyboard/mouse = On/Yes

I remember the Live repack's suspend working without the following, but you may want to try allowing xbmc user the ability to suspend by following that section of the following guide. It's towards the end.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

To help focus your troubleshooting, I want to reiterate that once the Revo is in S3 suspend mode, the power button light will flash on and off. I am able to then wake with the power button on the Revo or the remote's power button. You will hear a woosh from the fans powering up as it exits sleep and in 6secs, you'll go from a blank display to the XBMC GUI exactly as you left it. You will not see POST at all.

If you aren't able to wake from the power buttonn, then I wouldn't even bother wondering about troubleshooting the remote or dongle until you get the wake from powerbutton resolved.

Good luck,
-Dazex

- muis - 2010-01-09

Ah, good point you're making: my button stays on, it doesn't flash! So the system probably isn't even in sleep mode, it might actually just be hung!

I'll have to get that sorted, looks like that is the problem rather than the remote. Thanks!

Need some help - tebones - 2010-01-09

Hi!

First, thanks to all of you who contribute to this great product! I am amazed over the quality and functionality in XBMC compared to commercial products Smile

I have some questions regarding XBMC Live. My system is a Pacard Bell IMAX nVidia ION, the same as Acer Revo.

I manage to boot from my usb stick and hook on to my wireless network by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file.

But the next time I boot my changes aren't there. So how can I save them so that the stay put?

To automatically get new scrapers on my library (which is placed on a netdrive) I have to mount my network drive in Windows. How can I do this with Unbuntu?

What are the benefits of installing XBMC Live on a separate partition on my system compared to running it from a usb?

regards
Trond E

- muis - 2010-01-09

muis Wrote:Ah, good point you're making: my button stays on, it doesn't flash! So the system probably isn't even in sleep mode, it might actually just be hung!

I'll have to get that sorted, looks like that is the problem rather than the remote. Thanks!

I did a full reinstall of live, restored my userdata, installed the nvidia beta driver, and suspend now works. The only difference is I haven't run apt-get upgrade yet, maybe I shouldn't.

If I add the USB devices (USB0 + USB2) to wakeup it suspends but immediately resumes, any clues on that?

- muis - 2010-01-09

Never mind -- I should not have added USB2.

Now to see if apt-get upgrade breaks anything, but at least I know how to get it to work!

- rchapoteau - 2010-01-09

tebones Wrote:Hi!

First, thanks to all of you who contribute to this great product! I am amazed over the quality and functionality in XBMC compared to commercial products Smile

I have some questions regarding XBMC Live. My system is a Pacard Bell IMAX nVidia ION, the same as Acer Revo.

I manage to boot from my usb stick and hook on to my wireless network by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file.

But the next time I boot my changes aren't there. So how can I save them so that the stay put?

To automatically get new scrapers on my library (which is placed on a netdrive) I have to mount my network drive in Windows. How can I do this with Unbuntu?

What are the benefits of installing XBMC Live on a separate partition on my system compared to running it from a usb?

regards
Trond E

I could be wrong, but in order to really make changes your going to have to install it to your hard drive instead of booting it off of a USB stick. Its definitely MUCH faster once its installed.

Wake on remote for Aspire Revo 3600 -- Harmony remote - muis - 2010-01-09

Does anyone have experience with the harmony remote to wake the revo? The revo always responds immediately to the original remote, but with the harmony it might take 2-4 tries ("is your media center on? and now? and now?" before it springs back to life. Somehow this seems to happen more if I leave the revo in suspend for more time. If I suspend and resume within a minute or so it works consistently.

- tjosborn - 2010-01-09

I'm having real trouble with running XBMC live on my REVO 3600. My steps:

Curse the lack of cd drive so tried booting from USB - get missing operating system error.
Burn to disc on laptop and install XBMC to attached USB.
Stick USB in revo and boot - end up at command prompt.
Unable to start XBMC but have tried xstart init? or similar which works. But the mouse is moving very very slowly.

I'm planning to borrow a USB cd drive to get this installed to the hard drive of the revo. Hopefully then all my problems will go away. Is there anything else I can try in the meantime though?

Thanks

- mobious - 2010-01-09

Anyone here succefully installed XBMC live on the 3610 while keeping the windows 7 installation and with working optical out and hardware acceleration? If so could you please PM me the guide you used?

- Laerkai - 2010-01-09

edit because quote didnt work.