Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- Laerkai - 2010-01-09

muis Wrote:Does anyone have experience with the harmony remote to wake the revo? The revo always responds immediately to the original remote, but with the harmony it might take 2-4 tries ("is your media center on? and now? and now?" before it springs back to life. Somehow this seems to happen more if I leave the revo in suspend for more time. If I suspend and resume within a minute or so it works consistently.

I have the exact same issue with my harmony remote/revo.

- muis - 2010-01-09

tjosborn Wrote:I'm having real trouble with running XBMC live on my REVO 3600. My steps:

Curse the lack of cd drive so tried booting from USB - get missing operating system error.
Thanks

Download xbmc live repack from: http://xbmc.org/download/
Download Unetbootin from: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Unzip the repack zipfile to extract the iso file
Double-click unetbootin, and select the 'Disk image' radio button, and browse to the iso you just extracted.

In the lower part of your screen, select your USB disk (pick the right one!) and click OK. CLICKING OK WILL WIPE OUT WHATEVER'S ON THAT DISK, so double-check you have the right one.

When it's done, ignore the 'reboot' option, eject the usb disk, and boot from that. If you press F12 during boot, the Revo will allow you to boot from the USB stick.

- tjosborn - 2010-01-09

muis Wrote:Download xbmc live repack from: http://xbmc.org/download/
Download Unetbootin from: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Unzip the repack zipfile to extract the iso file
Double-click unetbootin, and select the 'Disk image' radio button, and browse to the iso you just extracted.

In the lower part of your screen, select your USB disk (pick the right one!) and click OK. CLICKING OK WILL WIPE OUT WHATEVER'S ON THAT DISK, so double-check you have the right one.

When it's done, ignore the 'reboot' option, eject the usb disk, and boot from that. If you press F12 during boot, the Revo will allow you to boot from the USB stick.

That's the problem, I have the USB image of live on my usb key already by following those steps. When I reboot to the USB disc I just get missing operating system. I have selected the USB as the boot drive (I can see the light flashing on it), i've forced usb drives to be treated as 'hard disk' in the bios too.

Any ideas would be great?!

EDIT - scratch that! Its working! Now I SWEAR I did exactly the same as before but this time the USB image has booted up and i'm sitting at the XBMClive boot screen. Thanks!

- muis - 2010-01-09

tjosborn Wrote:That's the problem, I have the USB image of live on my usb key already by following those steps. When I reboot to the USB disc I just get missing operating system. I have selected the USB as the boot drive (I can see the light flashing on it), i've forced usb drives to be treated as 'hard disk' in the bios too.

I don't think that's necesary. Your USB disk may just not be bootable -- http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html will fix that for you. It will work for non-HP disks equally well.

Network (wifi) shutdown - Qooop - 2010-01-10

Strangely, When XBMC live final repack, installed to hard drive and connected via Cat5 to router starts up, it shuts down the wifi to all the other computers in the house. The Revo is not on wifi but it interferes with wifi from the router. Then, while its running, it shuts down the wifi every few minutes. It lasts 1-3 minutes then the wifi comes back up again. I can't figure it out.

- muis - 2010-01-10

I'm not saying what you see isn't happening, but I know of no conceivable way the revo (or any unit connected via ethernet) would actually have a way to cause this even if they wanted to. First thing I would do is check whether a new firmware is available for your router. It might be that something xbmc or the revo does triggers a bug in your router. Mine is connected in a similar way btw. Does your router have a logging facility? It might yield some clues.

- Qooop - 2010-01-10

muis Wrote:I'm not saying what you see isn't happening, but I know of no conceivable way the revo (or any unit connected via ethernet) would actually have a way to cause this even if they wanted to. First thing I would do is check whether a new firmware is available for your router. It might be that something xbmc or the revo does triggers a bug in your router. Mine is connected in a similar way btw. Does your router have a logging facility? It might yield some clues.

It appears to have been a router problem. Linksys WRT110 upgrade to FW 1.0.0.5 or so (latest) seems to have fixed the problem. I also notice a much faster install at the part where it gets time from time server, that used to take a long delay but now it zips right past it.

Thanks you for the suggestion.

- mobious - 2010-01-10

Can anyone please tell me how to get wifi with WPA2 working on an acer 3610? I installed XBMC on a usb drive, in other words to get wifi working I have to do some linux commands. Anyone care to help? Also my ethernet isn't working either Sad

- bark02 - 2010-01-10

bark02 Wrote:its me again....

I'm connected to my router,I have an IP address and my router shows an entry for XBMClive, but I can not share anything.

I have xbmc running on a laptop as well as my revo so I can check to see if the shares are working windows 7 to windows xp and they are. I have checked UPNP and SMB and they are both found automatically on my laptop.

I can not get them to work on my revo though. UPNP should just auto find anyway but i have tried finding my SMB automatically and also by typing in the name of my network abd also the name of the computer the share is on.

I can not change the weather locations or getting any actual weather readings from the weather channel so i believe there is a problem.

I can't ping the revo either.

the network page on xbmc has the following stats:

link: connected
MAC address:c:60:78:68:5B:1A but this only comes up every now and again the rest of the time it shows as busy
IP address:192.168.2.194
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.2.1
Primary DNS:192.168.2.1
secondary DNS: blank
Internet: Not connected check network settings, Like MAC address this also shows busy most of the time.

Is it an issue that my gateway and primary DNS are the same?

In network settings -> internet access - I have nothing selected. Should I have use an http proxy sever to access internet ticked?

any ideas

any one able to help with this?

enabling gpu through vdpau in windows 7 - djplanbizzle.bh - 2010-01-10

so i've been scouring these forums and google for weeks trying to figure out what's going on with my system. I've got an acer r1600 w/ 3 gigs of ram (yes, overkill, but the ram was cheap) and I'm running windows 7 ultimate. I've gone through every conceivable set up option save for windows xp because I didn't want to sit there for hours uninstalling bloatware. here are my issues and I'm hoping someone can give me a clear straightforward answer as to how to solve this. And all of this is happening on a vanilla install of win 7 x32. and i'm also a complete n00b

1) I installed XBMC live and enabled VDPAU in the video rendering menu. 1080p MKV files player great, DTS decoded perfectly, and i scared my cat with how loud and awesome the sound was (damn near did a backflip during the opening gunfight in Quantum of Solace). Issue with this was I couldn't mount my external hard drives where all my stuff was stored. I had set up a XBMSP server but that was buggy as all hell. SMB shares were becoming an even bigger headache to set up.

2) I reinstalled win 7 and tried to go the media center way. The trouble with media center was that album art wasnt being downloaded, it's got a terrible file management and display system, and it's a bit clunkier than xbmc. Plus despite playback being smooth, it wouldn't decode the DTS.

3) XBMC 9.11 Camelot in win 7. This is what i'd like to work through and am desperately trying to tweak. When I try and play a local MKV file through xbmc on windows 7, playback is sluggish, audio keeps dropping and the file is unwatchable. I noticed when trying to find that same video render menu like in xbmc live, it wasnt there under the windows 7 version. I've downloaded the latest nvidia chipset and graphics drivers for the ION LE, and also installed flash 10.1 beta. I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

So if someone can tell me if there are any tweaks/add-ons/scripts/etc that would enable xbmc to play 1080p MKV files on an acer revo r1600 with windows 7, that would be FANTASTIC.

Alternatively, if there's no way of getting the VDPAU enabled in that without using XBMC live, is there a tweak I can implement to get my USB (NTFS) drives to mount in XBMC live?

thanks again!!

cheers

- junshi - 2010-01-10

updated my last post on upgrading from xbmc live 9.04 to 9.1 and the latest nvidia drivers:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=465047&postcount=262

Thanks.

- neoxxt - 2010-01-11

Hey guys!

First off, I really want to thank everyone involved with XBMC for making it what it is. I've been using it for years and it has saved me from paying for cable for a very long time.

Anyways, I jumped on this Revo 1600 boat, as the original Xbox was getting a bit dated and slow on me. Got everything up and running fine last night.

I've been tinkering with it all day today and have successfully added my entire library.

Last night, my HD stuff was running flawlessly.

I tried to play a file about an hour ago, and the HD video plays, but there is no sound. I play any of my xvid/divx files and I get sound, but no dice on the any of the HD containers. I don't believe any of my settings have changed, aside from the addition of all my standard def files. I'm trying to play my HD stuff from just the file list, haven't added those to my library yet.

As I said, to my knowledge, no settings have changed. The only thing that could've possibly tweaked anything was I tested plugging in a classic xbox controller into a usb port to see if I could get the same functionality out of it as on xbox, but no dice.

Can anyone offer any advice?

My audio settings are put to digital and hdmi out. I have an hdmi cable running out from the Revo to my TV and an optical cable from my TV to my receiver. My receiver is Prologic, Digital and DTS capable.

Wireless setup for XBMC LiveCD installed to harddisk - rayzine - 2010-01-11

My computer with a USB Wireless adaptor and during the installion I got this screen

a. I select "wlan0: Wireless ethernet"

b. I key in my router name (ssid)

c. But fail!!!!!

What I have done wrong? Is that because I have set pasword for wirless access?

The following is my Router wireless security setup info:

Security Mode: WPA Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES
WPA Shared Key: <My Password>

THANKS!!!

- bark02 - 2010-01-11

rayzine Wrote:My computer with a USB Wireless adaptor and during the installion I got this screen

a. I select "wlan0: Wireless ethernet"

b. I key in my router name (ssid)

c. But fail!!!!!

What I have done wrong? Is that because I have set pasword for wirless access?

The following is my Router wireless security setup info:

Security Mode: WPA Personal
WPA Algorithms: AES
WPA Shared Key: <My Password>

THANKS!!!

see this post I had thesame dhcp error, http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=468527&postcount=7

it seems the wireless part of the boot is not set up correctly. SO you have to install without a newtwork and then manually add it after.

- bark02 - 2010-01-11

bark02 Wrote:its me again....

I'm connected to my router,I have an IP address and my router shows an entry for XBMClive, but I can not share anything.

I have xbmc running on a laptop as well as my revo so I can check to see if the shares are working windows 7 to windows xp and they are. I have checked UPNP and SMB and they are both found automatically on my laptop.

I can not get them to work on my revo though. UPNP should just auto find anyway but i have tried finding my SMB automatically and also by typing in the name of my network abd also the name of the computer the share is on.

I can not change the weather locations or getting any actual weather readings from the weather channel so i believe there is a problem.

I can't ping the revo either.

the network page on xbmc has the following stats:

link: connected
MAC address:c:60:78:68:5B:1A but this only comes up every now and again the rest of the time it shows as busy
IP address:192.168.2.194
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.2.1
Primary DNS:192.168.2.1
secondary DNS: blank
Internet: Not connected check network settings, Like MAC address this also shows busy most of the time.

Is it an issue that my gateway and primary DNS are the same?

In network settings -> internet access - I have nothing selected. Should I have use an http proxy sever to access internet ticked?

any ideas

okay finaly sorted it, but it was a bit strange...

I read in one of the other post a guy who was having a similar problem reset his router to factory settings and that solved his problem. I did that a few days ago but after resetting i changed the default IP address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.2.1 as thats what all my stuff is set to work with. As i was running out of ideas i decided to change it back to the default of 192.168.0.1 and it now works!

Thanks for all the help.