[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version
+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Announcements, Info, and General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)
- coalfield - 2009-09-12 19:29
so far so good but the HDMI has no sound output? Am I missing something? What is the exact folder for .asoundrc ?
- Grippen - 2009-09-16 23:09
hi guys first post here although I've been following the topic and the forum for a while today I received my Revo and I want to install XBMC live image but before I do that I have a few questions.
- Once I install the new image can I ever return back to the original software which in my case is already linux based?
- Also for those who have in linux based from factory what did you think of it? I still couldn't explore it very well and the manual is in chinese so bit difficult
- My revo came with a wireless keyboard and mouse will i need any drivers after i install XBMC live or its just plug and play just like with the factory OS.
I'm planning to do the "upgrade" to the XBMC live tomorrow so any answers would be much appreciated.
For the few hours I have this little pretty bug I can say I'm loving it!
- Grippen - 2009-09-17 09:40
No one can help me out with my questions?
- mcottrell - 2009-09-17 20:04
1. you could back up your system before installing xbmc live with something like ghost(or other imaging software) or better would be to just install live onto a Memory card and dual boot.
2. mine came with xp so I dont know about the Linux install
3. the keyboard is not going to need drivers because its emulating a normal HUD usb keyboard.
I LOVE MY REVO
- funstuie - 2009-09-30 16:44
This is probably the wrong place to ask this but has anyone gotten a USB TV tuner working with XBMC on the revo?
- redknight - 2009-10-05 17:31
Acer service manual for anyone that's interested
- Scott R - 2009-10-05 21:37
Hi, I'm a long-time XBMC (on XBox) user and am a Windows user with no Linux experience. A few questions...
1) Is Newegg the only ones selling this?
2) With XP preinstalled, it sounds like I can install XBMC Live to an SD card and dual-boot from there. Are there any downsides to this approach? Or, conversely, are there any advantages to installing Linux/XBMC Live onto the hard drive?
3) What is this thing capable of doing with DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD content? Specifically, can I:
a) Bitstream it as-is to a DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD receiver over HDMI?
b) Downconvert it to "regular" AC3/Dolby 5.1/DTS and pass it over HDMI to my receiver which is not DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD capable?
c) Downconvert it to stereo and pass it over HDMI to my LCD TV?
4) If I only want to use this for XBMC and, specifically, streaming ripped Blu-ray movies (ideally capable of full rips with no additional downconversion), is the stock box capable of that? Is there any reason why I should need to upgrade the RAM? It sounds like it's a bit tricky and will void the warranty, so if there's no real need to upgrade the RAM, why would I want to?
- redknight - 2009-10-10 19:31
Great guide thanks.
I'm having trouble with the suspend and hibernate features of XBMC, with my remote and the OSD I can put the unit into suspend mode (although with the REVO this appears to leave the main power light on with no display on screen) however it almost immediately bounces right back out of resume to the XBMC "desktop". I've read a few fixes for this if you're running XBMC on full blown linux but as a linux noob I don't know enough to translate this into command lines actions using putty.
Any help would be appreciated
- angelux - 2009-10-10 20:52
I follow your guide on my revo and its a little great machine. However I have small problem. Everytime i switched inputs on my tv and go back to the revo there is no image. I am using a Vizio tv. I don't know if its the tv or if its the revo. Any ideas? Thanks!
- amcfarla - 2009-10-30 06:34
If you are having difficulties locating the .iso file for this verison of xbmc here is a torrent I created of the image, enjoy.