Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- revlimiter - 2010-01-29

Oh, and how do I add iTunes to my SMB? I've added my "iTunes Music" folder in System Preference -> Sharing but it doesn't seem to be picking up in XBMC. Sorry for so many posts!
Thanks

- devin mac - 2010-01-29

michael37 Wrote:I honestly haven't read all 44 pages of this thread, but here is a list of actions that I found to get xbmc really working on my revo. The only major difference is I used version 9.11 which is based on Karmic 9.10 and it provides Nvidia 190 drivers.

I assume you have read OP and the first page, got the USB image, installed XBMC on your Revo, and booted into a working session.

BUT your wireless network is not working, your resolution is measly 1360x768 on your gorgeous HDTV, and your XBMC is somewhat beyond the screen margins... <<<snip>>>

ok, so i went through most of these steps and it was a huge help in getting true 1080p video output. the problem is that XBMC is still somewaht larger than the screen margins. i'm playing around with a lot of stuff but not sure really even where to look. any other thoughts that more directly address the sceen margin issue?

- gabbott - 2010-01-29

devin mac Wrote:ok, so i went through most of these steps and it was a huge help in getting true 1080p video output. the problem is that XBMC is still somewaht larger than the screen margins. i'm playing around with a lot of stuff but not sure really even where to look. any other thoughts that more directly address the sceen margin issue?

Have you gone into the calibration settings in xbmc? That'll help you account for any overscan on your set.

Should be in the video settings I believe.

- revlimiter - 2010-01-29

OK, I seem to have made some progress/discoveries.. I will share!
I could not get XBMC Live 9.11 Camelot to work. Burned it to CD, and then copied it over to USB, but when it came time to installing it on the Aspire Revo, it was asking me all these Ubuntu commands which I had no idea. I looked online and managed to get myself logged in as the root user, and also type in the commands to install - but long story short I couldn't get it to work.

So I went back to the XBMC distro supplied in the first post. Re-installed, found video problems again. Re-installed. It finally worked.

I noticed that Audio would work in Analogue ONLY with my TV, and not HDMI audio with my TV (46" Widescreen Toshiba LCD). But when I turned on my LG surround sound box, and switched it to HDMI audio it worked. So from now on I'll have to remember I can only use surround sound with my TV. (Which is weird, cause I can plug the PS3, XBOX 360 directly into the TV using an HDMI and get sound) .. Anyways

Glad I got that figured out. I also switched my resolution (!) to be "1080i" instead of 1920x1080 or whatever it is (really high) which was giving the framerate problem. I noticed a significant increase in framerate when I changed the resolution - about double the speed actually. And the Media Stream skin is working buttery smooth. I tested out Aeon as well and it was alot better in speed but I think I prefer Media Stream. I still need to figure out how to set the coverflow aspect ratio to be square with Aeon... That and getting the iTunes folder shared on SMB (for some reason it still won't pick it up even though it's marked as a shared folder)

Hope this info helps!

- ringman - 2010-01-29

Scott R Wrote:Have you been powering off/on completely, using Standby mode, or leaving it on all the time? If one of the latter two, I would try rebooting it, if you haven't already. If that doesn't help, your problem sounds more like a networking issue.
Scott R,
Thanks! It was the linksys powerline network adapter that needed a reboot... I was not thinking network at all! Working perfectly now!

- Scott R - 2010-01-29

ringman Wrote:Scott R,
Thanks! It was the linksys powerline network adapter that needed a reboot... I was not thinking network at all! Working perfectly now!
Glad to be of help.

Interesting that you're having good success with high-def movies and your Powerline adaptor. Are these highly compressed rips or full (20GB+) Blu-ray rips? My living room is hooked up with a Powerline adaptor (too difficult to run ethernet to that location) and I can't get enough bandwidth for my Blu-ray rips, though it works fine for SD content or transferring shows to/from my HD TiVos.

- devin mac - 2010-01-29

gabbott Wrote:Have you gone into the calibration settings in xbmc? That'll help you account for any overscan on your set.

Should be in the video settings I believe.

hmm, i believe i did, but i'll try it again when i get home, just to be sure.

- ringman - 2010-01-30

Scott R,
I have the PLK300, up to 200mbs and I am playing mostly mkv and avi files, up to 2 gigs, served from a central media server. I do not have any blue ray rips. Works like a charm, when it doesn't need a reboot.

- Mac Norton - 2010-01-31

I too like a few others have not read every single page here, so hopefully I am not causing any inconvenience by asking my question. If I am I apologize in advance.

OK, so I bought the Acer from the Lifehacker article posted about it. So far I am pleased with the unit, but I am having issues with playback for 1080p. However, to add an extra wrinkle, I am having issues playing them from my Seagate FreeAgent Go drive.

I have all the settings as per the guide on page 1, but I am getting a lot of jutter on my 1080p rips and my Apple Trailers I downloaded. 720p and 480p are fine.

A little more info on my setup, the Acer is plugged in HDMI to my Onkyo receiver which is going to my Panasonic TV.

Hopefully that is all the information needed to answer my question, and I appreciate any assistance.

- revlimiter - 2010-01-31

Hey Mac Norton,
Make sure your resolution is set to 1080p in settings, rather than "1920x1080 window"
This will make XBMC run alot better on the Acer Revo, I had the same problem with mine.

Also, instead of "hdmi" for your source set it to "plug:hdmi" (all lowercase - Go into the MediaStream theme if you're in Aeon to use lowercase letters)
This fixed my music and some video that were playing a tad bit too fast.

Hope this helps!

- Mac Norton - 2010-01-31

revlimiter Wrote:Hey Mac Norton,
Make sure your resolution is set to 1080p in settings, rather than "1920x1080 window"
This will make XBMC run alot better on the Acer Revo, I had the same problem with mine.

Also, instead of "hdmi" for your source set it to "plug:hdmi" (all lowercase - Go into the MediaStream theme if you're in Aeon to use lowercase letters)
This fixed my music and some video that were playing a tad bit too fast.

Hope this helps!

I seem to have only a 1080i option. But that seems to have solved the problem. THANKS!

Now for another question, I have a film that has subtitles burned into the film, but it appears that XBMC lays it's own subtitles in there as well. How do I turn those off?

- gabbott - 2010-01-31

Mac Norton Wrote:Now for another question, I have a film that has subtitles burned into the film, but it appears that XBMC lays it's own subtitles in there as well. How do I turn those off?

While playing the video bring up the menu and go into audio options and you can turn off any subs in there.

- bennythejet - 2010-01-31

So I've read a few posts where people have said that they've set their video resolution to 1080p. I don't seem to have this option. Mine is currently set at "1920x1080 @ 50.00 - Full Screen".

Should I be able to get 1080p as an option? If so how do I access it as it's not an option at the moment?

- ringman - 2010-01-31

My problem seems to be back, and I don't believe its network related... Video playback is "hesitating" starts, hesitates for a second, then starts up again, then repeats the cycle. Audio is unaffected. Even my screensaver (solarwinds) is affected.

I placed a tv show (150 meg avi) directly on the revo, in my /home/xbmc folder, then played it from there, same problem.

Occasionally the issue clears up, and I am able to watch a video or see my screensaver work without this hesitation. This is very frustrating. I am beginning to suspect a hardware issue on the revo.

I put the debug log here: http://pastebin.com/m7424d80c.

Perhaps I could persuade some knowledgeable person to take a look at it and see if anything jumps out.

Thanks All!
Anthony

- Mac Norton - 2010-02-01

I have a somewhat related question. I have everything working now, but it appears that my install does not have the plugins or scripts options as detailed in a few other guides. I assume this is because I am using an older version of XBMC.

My question is, how do I upgrade to the latest version without blowing away what I have already? And is there anything else I need to do to get scripts/plugins working?