Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

dds files - Tsuris - 2010-04-15

Check the post here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59115&highlight=advanced+dds
for how to use dds files for your fan arts.
My sig also has a pair of bat files (pastebin link) to create dds files (on windows) for use on 9.11 live (a later revision has .dds creation built in)
|
\/

- Kevlarte - 2010-04-16

bigfoot2355 Wrote:Hey guys, so I followed the guide and it works *perfectly* and have yet to find something even 1080p that it can't play (thanks!).
However, I am not able to connect via ethernet (router is in another room) and since the revo doesn't have built in wireless I had a belkin usb (b/g) lying around, but it doesn't recognize it! I was wondering if there were any guides to get it working and recognized in XBMC. I have been scouring the forums and haven't turned up anything. Since I chose the minimal install as with the directions, I don't know how to proceed. Any help (or tips to point me in the right direction) would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks!
Did you ever receive any help with this? I am stuck on this same step. I also have a belkin usb and it did nothing..Can't find an answer anywhere! Thanks

- Kevlarte - 2010-04-16

einstuerzende Wrote:I'm having two small problems that I'd love a hand with.

I tried live 9.04 first and then installed 9.11 on a revo 1600. When running 9.04 live, I had no trouble mounting and watching videos from a 500 gig usb external hard drive. With the installed Live 9.11, I find that xbmc becomes unresponsive when I try to browse that drive through the video or music browsers. USB flash drives haven't had this problem, but they've been much smaller and had fewer files. It also doesn't seem to have a problem if I'm only looking with the file browser. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Secondly, I haven't had much luck with my usb wireless card. I believe this poster had the same issue:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=468226&postcount=307
But I haven't gotten much out of the suggested solution:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=368080&postcount=3

Anybody else having this problem or able to point me in the right direction? I've been searching and haven't come up with much. Thanks to everyone for all the great work so far; much less intimidating than it could have been without all the guides.
Did you ever figure out how to get your wireless usb up and running? Im having trouble with mine and can't find an answer

- Baka no Kami - 2010-04-16

Kevlarte Wrote:Did you ever receive any help with this? I am stuck on this same step. I also have a belkin usb and it did nothing..Can't find an answer anywhere! Thanks

I'm using a Belkin USB as well. It wouldn't even see networks with security, and couldn't connect to open ones. I found a post on the Ubuntu forums explaining the issue, but I forget all the details. Basically there are 2 groups writing support for the chipset the Belkin card used. Ubuntu included and loads them both by default. The 2 different modules trying to share the card is what was causing the problems. To fix the issue I opened up:

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Added 3 lines:

blacklist rt2800usb
blacklist rt2x00usb
blacklist rt2x00lib

And rebooted. As soon as it came back up it saw my network and let me connect.

- Baka no Kami - 2010-04-16

I've gotten my XBMC up and running and everything works, but I've run into a few annoyances I can't seem to get past.

Some backgroud;
I'm using the cheaper Revo, with a Belkin wifi, and a Snapstream X10 RF remote receiver plugged into the USB. The only thing I changed on the actual hardware was to remove the HDD and replace it with a CF to Sata adapter and an 8gb CF card.

I installed 9.10 from a USB drive that I think I made (it was several months ago) using an app from this site; http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-a-ubuntu-9-10-live-usb-in-windows/ I've yet to have any problems installing Ubuntu from this drive. I added the XBMC rep and installed with no problems. All of my media is stored on another PC running Win7. I use Ember for media scrapping, and mount the video shares over the network. The Revo is plugged into a 32" LCD TV, and I'm using a Snapstream Firefly remote.

Issues I had, but fixed, in case anyone else has run into something similer;
Wireless didn't want to work at first see my previous post for details.

If I had to reboot Gnome would ask me to unlock the default keyring to get on the wireless. I followed this; http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/12/automatically-unlocking-the-default-gnome-keyring-pam-keyring/ to fix that.

Sometimes the Revo would lose access to the network shares until the Win7 PC was rebooted. This turned out to be because Win7 limits memory for that type of activity and you need to tell Win7 to pretend it's actually a file server. More info here; http://alan.lamielle.net/2009/09/03/windows-7-nonpaged-pool-srv-error-2017

After the intitial install of Ubuntu I was left with a 1280x720 desktop, but it didn't take up the whole monitor, there were 1 or 2 inches of black space around the edged (native res for my TV is 1360x768), The TV has zoom feature that should have been able to correct this, but for some reason it was disabled. Installing the Nvidia drivers (185) left me with the black borders, but the desktop now extended past the visable area. The tv stopped disabling the zoom feature so I was able to eliminate the black borders, but was left with the overscanning. Adding the Nvidia repository, and updating to the 195 drivers added the overscanning correction.

Once I switched to wireless the windows shares stopped mounting during boot, and I had to remount manually once I got to the desktop. This happens because the wifi isn't brought up until you get to the desktop, so there's no network during boot. I used this info: http://www.howtoforge.com/accessing_windows_or_samba_shares_using_autofs to setup autofs so the shares are mounted as they are accessed by XBMC.

Issues I still have:

The color on the HDMI just doesn't look right and I haven't been able to find any clear instructions on adjusting the contrast and gamma to make the screen look good. On VGA everything looks fine, so I switched to using it.

I'm still playing around with it, but XBMC is not detecting newly added TV show episodes when updating the library. If I do to the specific show, and "scan for new content" it does find them. At the sime time I switched to using autofs, Ember media manager came out with a new version that scrapes TV show information as well as movie. XBMC was detecing new episodes fine before that. As a test I turned off autofs, and XBMC regained the ability to detect new episodes during a general library update. Now I just need to get rid of Ember and test again with autofs back on.

- alpha_thetas - 2010-04-16

Izod517 Wrote:Did this all tonight, including auto-mount, and adding the Xbox DVD Dongle without any real problems. Thanks OP - used your guide, other posts, and a few random web articles - wasn't bad at all.

Few notes that I'm sure the OP is aware of but newbies may not be

-Nvidia drivers are included in XBMC Live 9.11.
-FTPing into your XBMClive box may or may not work for replacing/editing certain files (for instance the grub/menu.lst) - the easiest way to get at those is by using Putty - you'll eventually probably just use it for everything.

To the above poster - Unsure why the command isn't working for you, but yes you can delete all 3 nodiskmounts.

I tried removing all the nodiskmounts from menu.lst using notepad in windows and it still wasnt able to find my internal hard drive on the revo. Does anyone else have suggestions?

- alpha_thetas - 2010-04-16

DJBlu Wrote:On the grub bootloader,

press 'e'

then move to the second item in the list then press 'e' again. Remove 'nodiskmount'

This will allow you to mount your drives.

To remove this item permanently edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst and remove the nodiskmount

Hope this helps.

does anyone know how to get to the grub bootloader, sorry as a newbie I need very specific instructions.

- Benjigga - 2010-04-19

Thanks for the thread. Very helpful, but a few problems I'm having.

I have the Aspire AR1600. When I go into the bios to disable "Use RevoBoot" and set GPU memory to 512 none of it is there.

In the Advanced Bios Features the last option is USB Beep Message. No Boot to RevoBoot feature to disable.

Then in the Advanced Chipset Features instead of iGPU I have UMA. I can change this to 512MB.

Anyone know how I can add the Boot to RevoBoot to the bios?

Edit: In the product information section it says I'm using System BIOS Version P01-A4.

- alpha_thetas - 2010-04-19

alpha_thetas Wrote:I tried removing all the nodiskmounts from menu.lst using notepad in windows and it still wasnt able to find my internal hard drive on the revo. Does anyone else have suggestions?

Found this in another thread, hopefully it will help others.

open the syslinux.cfg file from the root of your XBMCLive USB stick using Wordpad and find the boot option that you use (label...) and on the long line of boot parameters:
Code:

append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live vga=788 xbmc=autostart,tempfs,nodiskmount,...

delete the "nodiskmount" and one "," (don't leave two "," in a row).

And reboot. That's it.

- schneidz - 2010-04-20

Kevlarte Wrote:Did you ever figure out how to get your wireless usb up and running? Im having trouble with mine and can't find an answer

this is the information we'd need to troubleshoot your problem:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=513579&postcount=486

- reddevilmeuk - 2010-04-24

just a few quick questions....

1) i purchased an acer revo, installed live and apart from using a different skin, i tweaked the video to VDPAU, audio through OPTICAL with DTS and AC3 enabled....

tv is a 1080p but not 24fps

my problem is when watching tv eps in 720p MKV or 1080p movies in MKV i dont seem to be getting a really smooth scrolling pic, it doesnt seem juddery as such just not 100% smooth.

if i convert the files with mkv2vob to an .mpg container and play on my PS3 they are smooth....

am i missing a setting on the acer or what?

2) Im using an emorex remote, but half the buttons are not configurable..

what remote do you use?

please help apart from that the XBMC rocks...

- gobbledigook - 2010-04-26

just considering this option... but i only have scart inputs on my TV? is it possible to convert the HDMI to scart? or use the vga output somehow?

- edbro - 2010-04-26

Where does it tell me what version I am running? I looked for a standard About screen but didn't find it.

- Tsuris - 2010-04-28

Assuming you are on the default confluence skin, go to the main menu highlight system, click the right button (on you keyboard or your remote) then hit system info, on the bottom of the summary it should have bold blue letters. Mine says:
XBMC 9.11 R26018 (Compiled : Dec 24 2009)
just above my cpu usage/memory used

- kopkiwi - 2010-04-30

Right, this is all very gibberish to me. Is there a video tutorial to make things easier?

Just got the Acer Revo 3610 and none of this makes sense to me.