Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

good news then.. for ar1600 - conchamp - 2010-05-06

well its good news then.. that i can use it for a htpc that can power a ton of 1080P content.

- Izod517 - 2010-05-06

The AR1600 runs everything just fine. I run a ton of EMUs with it with no lag as well.

- schneidz - 2010-05-07

i have both.
i dont notice any real performance difference.

- theend757 - 2010-05-07

I purchase one of those.

I wanted to know there a way to save power when not using it. I want to have this running daily without shuting it down.

- schneidz - 2010-05-07

^ my upstairs one runs fedora 24/7.

the one downstairs stays on or i sometimes put it to sleep so its using minimal power.

either way it has a 90 watt power supply which is less than a 100 watt light bulb.

- sfleck - 2010-05-08

hi all!
well, i got my Revo 3610 today and ready to go Smile

i want to be able to keep the windows 7 install intact and boot to a USB drive. i don't have an external USB CD drive i can use to boot from. Is it possible to boot from one USB thumb drive and install on to another USB thumb drive?

thanks!

- Tsuris - 2010-05-08

I set mine to suspend after 10 min of inactivity, and it can full start from suspend in about 2-4 seconds. It can remote "power on" from this state so that would be what I recommend. (suspend = 0 power usage except for ram, which stays on to hold the system up, also a small amount of power for the usb bus so it can power on via a button press (or remote click)).

- conchamp - 2010-05-10

sfleck Wrote:hi all!
well, i got my Revo 3610 today and ready to go Smile

i want to be able to keep the windows 7 install intact and boot to a USB drive. i don't have an external USB CD drive i can use to boot from. Is it possible to boot from one USB thumb drive and install on to another USB thumb drive?

thanks!

that's precisely what i did. created xbmc live cd ( as in iso) and then created an USB based XBMC install drive. changed the BIOS setting in Acer 3610 to boot from USB and then choose to install xbmc to disk. here you need to be careful to create a separate partition. xbmc live install program automatically installs GRUB ( a boot up program) that will give u options between win 7 and xbmc to choose from. you can view instructions step by step in the url below.
http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-a-silent-standalone-xbmc-media-center-on-the-cheap

- kopkiwi - 2010-05-10

OK, so I just finally got XBMC installed on the HDD of an Acer Revo 3610.

A few things.

1) How the heck do I copy across TV Shows and what not from my external HDD onto the Acer Revo itself

2) How do I get my music to play once I have copied it across from the external HDD to the Acer?

UPDATE: OK, I copied across, or at least I thought I had, my music from the external HDD, however when I selected a track to play it would say unable to play. I then plugged in the external HDD again and it played fine.

What am I doing wrong?

terminal mode - doomplanet - 2010-05-10

Hi,
tried to run xbmc from the usb stick, start off ok then it ends up in a terminal mode. What to do to start xbmc from the stick.
Also if trying to install it keeps on asking for cd, in thsyslinux config it does state cdrom-detect/try-usb=true.
Help appreciatedNerd

- kopkiwi - 2010-05-10

doomplanet Wrote:Hi,
tried to run xbmc from the usb stick, start off ok then it ends up in a terminal mode. What to do to start xbmc from the stick.
Also if trying to install it keeps on asking for cd, in thsyslinux config it does state cdrom-detect/try-usb=true.
Help appreciatedNerd

Being a newbie myself I might be the best person to take advise from, but I think your answer lies on the first and second page.

- MarkL - 2010-05-10

Hi guys,

I just purchased an Acer Aspire Revo r3610 (Atom N330 1.6ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb hdd, nVida ION) to connect to my Home Theatre. I had been using a wdtv live box up till now. I was very satisfied with the video playback on that but the menu is just so unattractive that I wanted a better option. I'm going to have it connected to my 1080p TV and a 5.1 stereo via an Onkyo 577. Since my router is located in the same area, it will be plugged directly in to my network (no wireless necessary).

I haven't figured out how I want to set this up yet, the reason for this being that I do a fair amount of streaming sports over the internet (from nfl.com and mlb.tv). I'm curious if I will be able to start using this machine to do this as well. Previously I would just plug my dell laptop into my receiver. If the revo can take over this role, what is my best option for doing this?

A couple points:
- I'm not that concerned about boot time, and I don't need to turn on the machine and have it go right into XBMC.
-I will be using XBMC far more often than I will be streaming anything, so it's more important that I am able to use that as smoothly as possible. If that means sticking with my laptop whenever I want to watch a football game, that is fine.

Thanks for any advice!

- TheDuffMan - 2010-05-10

You'd be able to stream from those sites by either installing XBMC Live and then installing firefox from the command line, or installing Ubuntu first and then XBMC. I'm not sure on the bitrates of the video on those sites, so YMMV with playback through firefox. By your thought of being in XBMC far more than streaming from those sites, I'd say go with XBMC Live and follow a guide here on installing firefox afterwards.

There may also be plugins for those sites so you can watch them right inside xbmc, and that'd be by far the best solution. Check the plugin subforum.

- revlimiter - 2010-05-12

I am running XBMC on my Revo using this guide (page 1) and I can't seem to get the HDMI audio working for movies....

It seems to be working perfectly with TV shows but for high def movies it gives me loud static noise.

Any ideas why this is and how I can fix it?
Thanks!

- gabbott - 2010-05-12

revlimiter Wrote:I am running XBMC on my Revo using this guide (page 1) and I can't seem to get the HDMI audio working for movies....

It seems to be working perfectly with TV shows but for high def movies it gives me loud static noise.

Any ideas why this is and how I can fix it?
Thanks!

How are you doing your sound through HDMI? Directly to the TV or through a digital receiver?

If it is through a TV make sure sound is set to analog and you have donwmix enabled.