Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- revlimiter - 2010-05-12

For HDMI:

The sound works fine through a digital receiver, but when I set it directly to the TV and play HD video it gives me the static noise. Almost like nails on a chalkboard, and it's really loud. >_<

I am looking at my settings right now in XBMC:
-it was set to digital before and already had downmix enabled

Now when I set it to analogue it works fine! Thanks!

Hmmm, any ideas why it work through HDMI? Also, am I losing any sound quality by going analogue compared to HDMI?

Thanks again!

- sygyzy_nbr - 2010-05-12

conchamp Wrote:that's precisely what i did. created xbmc live cd ( as in iso) and then created an USB based XBMC install drive. changed the BIOS setting in Acer 3610 to boot from USB and then choose to install xbmc to disk. here you need to be careful to create a separate partition. xbmc live install program automatically installs GRUB ( a boot up program) that will give u options between win 7 and xbmc to choose from. you can view instructions step by step in the url below.
http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-a-silent-standalone-xbmc-media-center-on-the-cheap

Can you give more instructions on how to create the dual boot Windows 7/XBMC? The Lifehacker link you gave has nothing to do with dual booting. I've read it cover to cover.

- Yankee Ruin X - 2010-05-12

I am trying to set up a Revo 3610 for my friend. I am trying to install XBMC Live to a 4gb flashdrive but I keep ending up with it wanting to format the Revo's main HDD. I looked at the lifehacker link above but the screen shot look way simpler than the ones I get when I'm trying to install it. Mine gives me all sorts of crazy options most of which involve formatting my hard drive.

- theend757 - 2010-05-13

I use the live cd the latest version to install. I wanted to know does the latest version from xbmc come with the drivers Nvidia already? If not is there a way to install it?

- JasonR - 2010-05-13

I'm having a little trouble with the .asoundrc file to get my audio working over HDMI. I installed XBMC to a thumb drive using the Lifehacker guide. It booted up fine. I then created the .asoundrc file and FTP'd it over to the Revo in the /home/xbmc/ directory. When I rebooted, XBMC failed to load and I got an error saying "Mount of filesystem failed." I then had to do a reinstall because I couldn't even delete the file. It said it was a reead-only filesystem. I tried this a couple of times with the same result. Does anybody know how to fix this?

- JasonR - 2010-05-13

Yankee Ruin X Wrote:I am trying to set up a Revo 3610 for my friend. I am trying to install XBMC Live to a 4gb flashdrive but I keep ending up with it wanting to format the Revo's main HDD. I looked at the lifehacker link above but the screen shot look way simpler than the ones I get when I'm trying to install it. Mine gives me all sorts of crazy options most of which involve formatting my hard drive.

I think I had the same problem. There are a few more steps in the installation process for the latest version of XBMC than the version in the Lifehacker guide. I think first it asks you for your language and location. Then I think it asks you for how much of your memory you want to format for XBMC. I'm using a 4gb flashdrive, also, so I just picked the full guided option. The next step after that will let you pick which drive to use and that's where you select your flash drive. It was a little scary for me at first, too, because it was asking how much to format before selecting the drive, but just keep going. It won't actually start formatting without giving you an "Are you sure?" check, so you should be ok.

- seasoned - 2010-05-13

Why does everyone want to run xbmc live instead of just installing it on windows? That way you can use windows like normal and open xbmc when you're watching movies/tv shows?

- doomplanet - 2010-05-13

seasoned Wrote:Why does everyone want to run xbmc live instead of just installing it on windows? That way you can use windows like normal and open xbmc when you're watching movies/tv shows?

Acer revo in Vista cannt cope very well with XBMClive HD, that's why

- gabbott - 2010-05-13

seasoned Wrote:Why does everyone want to run xbmc live instead of just installing it on windows? That way you can use windows like normal and open xbmc when you're watching movies/tv shows?

Two reasons come to mind, one, some people want to get their revo/xbmc setup to work like an appliance and xbmc live is best suited for that, and two, because the atom processor isnt very powerful, the revo requires GPU acceleration to play HD content. It isnt until the next official release that the windows version will do that. Xbmc live/linux version already do that now.

- justdoit - 2010-05-13

cuz i prefer to just use it as media center hub and have no desire to get on windows with it. if i needed to do quick browsing, ill just use my phone and/or small laptop I have.

- schneidz - 2010-05-13

because it acts more like a set-top-box (cable-box, blu-ray player you buy in the store, ...) so you can use your remote to watch a movie without having to connect a usb keyboard/ mouse so you can login and double-clik on the icon.

- Tsuris - 2010-05-13

@JasonR
Just for the record, that file goes in your username folder, if your username isn't xbmc it goes in a different folder
/home/username/.asoundrc

and the only thing that needs to be in it is
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

- fekdep - 2010-05-14

I'm totally new to this. I had XBMC on my XBOX years ago.
I've just read 57 pages of how-to and I'm a bit lost.

1) Thanks everyone for contributing for this thread. I'm almost running.
2) Video is choppy. Will more RAM fix this or is it a fools errand?
3) Wifi - I can't select it. I have 0 idea how to install drivers.
4) Audio - hdmi works great as per instructions. What if I take my revo elsewhere and they don't have HDMI, how do I set it to the audio jack again, or will it just know?

- JasonR - 2010-05-14

Got it working, now. Somehow the file was getting corrupted during the FTP process.

- seasoned - 2010-05-14

Will the new acer revos have the same problem? With the nvidia ion card and 4gb of ram? When is the new version of xbmc supposed to be out?

Thanks