Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- Uuaww - 2010-08-22

FlyingNun Wrote:i am curious about these questions as well. Also when i installed XBMC live on my revo i don't believe i ever updated the codecs. how would i go about doing that now if i wanted to? I just dont wanted to mess anything up...took me forever to set it all up.

Ditto on the question about updating to the latest version, how is it done on the acer revo?

- alexpigment - 2010-08-24

Yousty Wrote:For some reason random files I try to play will give me the following flashing green screen:

The audio and even the subtitles will work fine, but for some reason it can't decode the video. The problem is I have no idea what could be causing it because I will play files with the exact some compression format and have no problems whatsoever. The few files that have done it were h.264 codec and some were AVIs and others were MKVs. The same thing also happens when I try to play any video through the youtube plugin. What's even weirder is that I only get the flashing green screen when I try and play them on my Revo, I tried them all on a Win7 version of XBMC and they played perfectly. Could it be HDMI related? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

YEP. I'm guessing that all those files are 854x480 (or something around there). I've been running into this ever since I've had my Revo, and unfortunately it's a common resolution (it is the resolution of Youtube 480p widescreen).

As I understand it, there is no possible fix for this as it is a direct result of VDPAU unable to deal with that resolution (this may be GPU-specific). On the other hand, I *hear* that the nightly builds work around this by doing that resolution in software. I'm eagerly awaiting Dharma for a fix, because I have a good install that I want to hang on to and I'm scared of nightlies.

Any nightly users wanna put in your two cents on this issue? Do you get a green pixel-tastic screen on widescreen 480p while VDPAU is enabled?

- Yousty - 2010-08-25

bobo1on1 actually explained to me the reason why in a different thread

Quote:VDPAU Features Note 1
GPUs with this note may not support H.264 streams with the following widths: 49, 54, 59, 64, 113, 118, 123, 128 macroblocks (769-784, 849-864, 929-944, 1009-1024, 1793-1808, 1873-1888, 1953-1968, 2033-2048 pixels)

All the videos I was trying to play were 864 pixels wide so that's why I got the green screen. What I found out that fixes it though is to go into settings and change the video decoding to Advanced Cel Shader (or something like that) instead of VDPAU and then all of those videos played back flawlessly. Kind of a pain to switch back to VDPAU when I want to watch something in HD, but hey it's better than them not working at all.

- abfmdf - 2010-08-28

I too sometimes get the green screen, however all I need to do is turn off and on my TV (Beko) and then it works fine. I have no idea why it works, but it does. (maybe its the changing in resolution the TV does not like ?)

- TutAmongUs - 2010-08-28

abfmdf Wrote:I too sometimes get the green screen, however all I need to do is turn off and on my TV (Beko) and then it works fine. I have no idea why it works, but it does. (maybe its the changing in resolution the TV does not like ?)

I would bet that it is all about HDCP handshake acceptance/rejection.

My A/V Receiver has issues regardless of what I pump it with, so I know all this "my screen is blank" stuff should ALL ALWAYS be checked by the person by resetting the power on the device the PC directly feeds to reinitiate the handshake, ie, the receiver or the TV, whichever the cable connects to. This happens on hard HTPC resets because it is seen as a lost connection and then refuses to re-establish. It happens on some soft resets as well.

In other words folks... another form of DRM kicking our asses because they were afraid we were going to record high def streams with inline devices on our HDMI connections.

Why would I record any such thing, when I can simply hunt for, find, and download it already done up?

Fire all through the VGA and never see a black screen. Hmmm... Sounds like HDMI HDCP handshake issues to me.

- TutAmongUs - 2010-08-28

schneidz Wrote:doesnt the live-usb version need to have a usb hard drive. i may not be understanding your question but if the revo doesnt have a cd drive then how are you running xbmc ?
I have a USB BD DVD drive on mine, and it boots and runs and installs xbmc or anything else from it. My use of a USB memory stick was an afterthought after seeing you guys talking about 'needing' it. I never did.

- schneidz - 2010-08-28

^ my original response was to this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=434048&highlight=understanding+question#post434048
shabas7 Wrote:This may seem like a really stupid question but I was wondering is XBMC compatible with an external HD?

I am running XBMC on an xbox and I was thinking of upgrading to an acer aspire revo. However if I cannot plug my 1TB WD my book hardrive into it then I dont think I can be bothered. The one really annoying thing about having XBMC on my old xbox one is that it doenst have a USB port.

So to summarise; Can a plug a USB HD into the acer aspire revo and watch media directly off the USB HD via XBMC?

Thanks
basically i was saying you can boot xbmc live-usb (or any live-usb distro) from a usb media.
either the original question was stupid or i wasnt understanding it ?

- Uuaww - 2010-08-29

to answer your question about booting from an HD, yes you can.

- DataFran - 2010-08-31

Hi,

So last night I installed the LiveCD release of Dharma and I've lost my menu sounds. I tried the .asoundrc trick but it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

--
Francis

- abfmdf - 2010-09-02

You might be better using xbmc freaks version, which worked for me out of the box
http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/xbmcfreak-livecd-10-00-beta1/

- FlyingNun - 2010-09-08

FlyingNun Wrote:i am curious about these questions as well. Also when i installed XBMC live on my revo i don't believe i ever updated the codecs. how would i go about doing that now if i wanted to? I just dont wanted to mess anything up...took me forever to set it all up.

help please!

- SweetS2K - 2010-09-09

TutAmongUs Wrote:I have a USB BD DVD drive on mine, and it boots and runs and installs xbmc or anything else from it.

Curious to hear more about your USB BD drive on the Revo. Can it play native blu-ray movies? Can you play movie files archived on BD discs?

Sounds like a great addition to the Revo.

- hurr88icane - 2010-09-16

i cannot get my device to connect to my wireless access point, or even recognize that i have a usb adapter plugged in. i have an acer revo r1600 with xbmc live installed to the hard drive so that xbmc boots when the revo turns on. i've came across many posts with varying instructions on things to type in the command line, but i dont even know how to access the command line. i am a total noob when it comes to anything linux related eg sudo commands.

i was reading this post

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=513579&highlight=iwconfig#post513579

this seems like it would go a long way towards fixing my problem, but like i said, i dont even know how to get to the command line. a different forum post said ctrl + alt + F1 would get me to command line, but nothing happened. any help would be greatly greatly appreciated

- svenh - 2010-09-17

If you are in the regular XBMC interface hitting CTRL+ALT+F1 or CTRL+ALT+F2 should bring up a terminal (console or tty whatever you'd like to call it)

From there if you run "iwconfig" you should see if you have any wireless devices that are listed. For me none were showing until I added another driver, but I own a Revo 3610.

Try running iwconfig and post back what it says.

If you cannot get to a console, while you are in XBMC, simply go to the power button, and select "Exit XBMC" that will definitely boot you to a console/termain/command prompt.

- emal011 - 2010-09-21

I thinking to buy an Acer revo, but until that, I have some questions:

1.- If i install the XBMC Live version, i saw it come with a Linux distro. I already have a problem with a Laptop, Acer Aspire, I already install an Ubuntu version, but the fan doesn´t work... The Revo have the same problem?

2.- HDMI works unter Linux? audio/video.

3.- I have a 1.5Tb HDD, wich make me troubles with windows, because the SO doesn´t detect the 1.5TB, that was Nvidia problem, i just have to make an update. Linux have the same problems with biggers HDD?

Thxs