Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- svenh - 2010-09-27

emal011 Wrote:I thinking to buy an Acer revo, but until that, I have some questions:

1.- If i install the XBMC Live version, i saw it come with a Linux distro. I already have a problem with a Laptop, Acer Aspire, I already install an Ubuntu version, but the fan doesn´t work... The Revo have the same problem?

2.- HDMI works unter Linux? audio/video.

3.- I have a 1.5Tb HDD, wich make me troubles with windows, because the SO doesn´t detect the 1.5TB, that was Nvidia problem, i just have to make an update. Linux have the same problems with biggers HDD?

Thxs

1. The fan works fine for me on my Revo 3610
2. HDMI works out of the box, you may have to change the audio settings in XBMC to use HDMI. Video worked right away with no extra config
3. It run Ubuntu underneath, which should have no problem with the size of the HDD. If you want to try it, boot any computer you have off the live DVD and see if it will recognize the drive though.

- anthony522 - 2010-09-28

My .asoundrc file looks like his:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}
I was having an issue where my music wasn't playing after the first song and I was getting told that the audio failed to initialize. I found a post online that said to update .asoundrc to the following:
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}
pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}
pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,3"
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 8192
        #periods 128
        rate 44100
     }
     bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
     }
}
ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}
I did this and then my music was crossfading and playing entire albums fine but when I went to play movies I had only audio and no video (even though I could see the skin and everything else up to the point of playing the movie). If I go back to my original .asoundrc it works fine but then I get no crossfading and only one song at a time.

Does anybody else have a similar problem? What does your .asoundrc look like?

BTW I'm running xbmcfreak911 live v13

- jalewis - 2010-10-05

I've been playing around with adding music playlists, but I can't figure out how to delete them. What am I missing?

Do I have to ftp in and delete the files?

For ftp, do I need to remember the username and password that I setup when I installed xbmc?

Thanks for your help.

- PhilJ - 2010-10-31

Hi

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is there any way to tell if my R3610 is making use of the Broadcom Crystal HD that I've installed?

When I play a 1080p MKV file, the CPU usage sits around the 10% mark, regardless of whether the Crystal HD is physically installed - I've tested the same file with the Crystal HD in and out of the Revo.

My knowledge of Linux (and XBMC) is extreme beginner at best, so I installed Dharma Beta 4 release because my understanding is that this release supports the Crystal HD. I really wouldn't have a clue on how to integrate drivers in to the stable XBMC release.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

update revo? - apeg - 2010-11-01

Hey guys, thanks to this tread i have had my revo up and running for almost a year now. I figure its time to update to the latest version, but cant figure out a good way?

google seems to be giving me 10x different answers. any pointers.

Thanks,
-aPeg

- Th3R00st3r - 2010-11-05

Quote:Originally Posted by shabas7
This may seem like a really stupid question but I was wondering is XBMC compatible with an external HD?

I am running XBMC on an xbox and I was thinking of upgrading to an acer aspire revo. However if I cannot plug my 1TB WD my book hardrive into it then I dont think I can be bothered. The one really annoying thing about having XBMC on my old xbox one is that it doenst have a USB port.

So to summarise; Can a plug a USB HD into the acer aspire revo and watch media directly off the USB HD via XBMC?

Thanks

I am doing this now. I have all my media on a 2TB WD drive that XBMC plays from. It works beautifully.

- Th3R00st3r - 2010-11-05

apeg Wrote:Hey guys, thanks to this tread i have had my revo up and running for almost a year now. I figure its time to update to the latest version, but cant figure out a good way?

google seems to be giving me 10x different answers. any pointers.

Thanks,
-aPeg

I would like to do this too, but am afraid since it's been working so well for the past year. Do I upgrade the kernel, just xbmc, will it screwup the nvidea? Since we have been doing this thread for how to set it up, maybe it's time for how to update\upgrade the Revo...

- schneidz - 2010-11-05

yeah, i too am having trouble with the upgrade to beta-4:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84725

- Th3R00st3r - 2010-11-11

Th3R00st3r Wrote:I would like to do this too, but am afraid since it's been working so well for the past year. Do I upgrade the kernel, just xbmc, will it screwup the nvidea? Since we have been doing this thread for how to set it up, maybe it's time for how to update\upgrade the Revo...

Any tips or suggestion on how to do the upgrade? do I need to do both, or can I just upgrade to Dharma?

- solid - 2010-11-23

Hi guys,

After reading numerous reviews about the R3610, I decided to take a gamble and purchase one.

I've managed to set up XBMC Live, however I have spent the past 12 hours trying to set up the network.

To my understanding, i am supposed to download the WLAN drivers by plugging the ethernet cable and typing:

sudo apt-get update

however I receive a message which states that it has been unable to fetch

I am a complete noob and would be grateful for any help.

- schneidz - 2010-11-25

^ its kinda' hard to diagnose without a screen capture.

maybe this will get us more info:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=513579&postcount=486

Stuck in middle of install - roatsche - 2010-11-26

Hi, guys:

I'm newer than a newbie: I can't even finish the install.

I more or less followed burgemaster's instructions for installing xbmcLive on an Acer Revo R3700. I had no luck at all (like many others) with a USB stick. Eventually I tried it again with a USB CD/DVD drive and finally got somewhere. (BTW, I've downloaded several versions of the ISO files and tried them all.)

I finally got to the point of having the option of running from a CD or installing to the HD. I made the mistake of doing the latter. When I try to boot up from the HD, it hangs and the screen goes blank. If I try to boot up from a CD, one of two things happens:

* The xbmc logo flashes a few times and then the message "starting hardware abstraction layer hald" appears and the screen goes blank.

* If I press Esc to get the menu and select "safe mode," I get a lot farther. A lot of actions take place, including the line "Ubuntu 9.04 XBMCLive tty1". A second or so later I get a prompt to log in. When I do, I get the following:

(T:XBMCLive) xbmc@XBMCLive: ~$ *Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server sshd and then a blinking cursor and nothing else.

I'm stuck. I can't go forward and I can't go back. I don't know any commands in Linux/Ubuntu. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- schneidz - 2010-11-27

^ the login/ pass should be xbmc/ xbmc (the password wont echo)

then try either running xbmc or startx and let us know what errors you get.

- roatsche - 2010-11-28

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know how to change my password.

I tried both commands and got different responses:

Xbmc produced:

Error: unable to open display
FEH.py: cannot connect to X server

startx produce a couple of lines that went by too fast to read and then the screen went blank.

- lordduckling - 2010-11-28

Heya everyone, I've just finished installing XBMC on my aspire revo r3610 using this link. I used UNetbootin to install the XBMC Live installer to my USB drive.

My ethernet cable is connected, there is a little yellow light coming from the port so I know it's connected.

My routeur is a linksys wrt310.

I'm getting an ip address and all that, but my question is how can I link my xbmc revo to my laptop with all my movies on it?

Thanks!

Also, how do I activate the wireless function? I've used the lspci function and it says I have a RaLink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R