Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- modey - 2010-12-22

schneidz Wrote:download the xbmc-live iso and use unetbootin to put it a bootable usb. boot the revo (i think it is f12 to select which drive to boot from). if you have issues, post the sepcific problem here (or start a new thread).

is it not possible just to go to the xmbc websote on the revo then download and install that way, or does it have to be done this way?

- edbro - 2010-12-22

modey Wrote:is it not possible just to go to the XBMC websote on the revo then download and install that way, or does it have to be done this way?

If you already have linux installed then you can grab it from the repository. If not, then you must install it from some bootable media; external cd or bootable usb stick.

The Live Disk will install the operating system as well as the XBMC program.

- modey - 2010-12-22

edbro Wrote:If you already have linux installed then you can grab it from the repository. If not, then you must install it from some bootable media; external cd or bootable usb stick.

The Live Disk will install the operating system as well as the XBMC program.

As i said in my first post it's got windows 7 on it, so can i just do it via the website?

- edbro - 2010-12-22

modey Wrote:As i said in my first post it's got windows 7 on it, so can i just do it via the website?

I answered the posting you made which didn't mention your OS, I shouldn't have to wade through 77 pages to see if you made any others.

As I said in my post
Quote:If you already have linux installed then you can grab it from the repository. If not, then you must install it from some bootable media; external cd or bootable usb stick.

This thread is entitled "install XBMC Live on Acer Revo". You can not install the live distro unless you boot from it. It isn't just an installable executable that you can run. It is an entire package with an operating system.

You can go to the website on your Revo and download the iso file. You can then create the bootable USB stick on the Revo. But, in order to install you will have to boot from the USB stick.

- modey - 2010-12-22

edbro Wrote:I answered the posting you made which didn't mention your OS, I shouldn't have to wade through 77 pages to see if you made any others.

As I said in my post

This thread is entitled "install XBMC Live on Acer Revo". You can not install the live distro unless you boot from it. It isn't just an installable executable that you can run. It is an entire package with an operating system.

You can go to the website on your Revo and download the iso file. You can then create the bootable USB stick on the Revo. But, in order to install you will have to boot from the USB stick.

77 pages??... i joined today and someone else replied to my post, if you can't be bothered to read my full post then don't answer... no need for the hostility..

I am i tis thread because i wanted to "install XBMC live on acer revo" but the first page mande no mention of putting it on one with windows, hence why i asked instead of trawling through 77 pages

also, the links on the first page are dead..anyone know where i can download the neccesary files?

- edbro - 2010-12-22

modey Wrote:77 pages??... i joined today and someone else replied to my post, if you can't be bothered to read my full post then don't answer... no need for the hostility..

I am i tis thread because i wanted to "install XBMC live on acer revo" but the first page mande no mention of putting it on one with windows, hence why i asked instead of trawling through 77 pages

also, the links on the first page are dead..anyone know where i can download the neccesary files?

I did read your full post, as a matter of fact, I quoted your full post in my response to it. It didn't mention Windows. I didn't go back through the thread and read all your posts, nor should I need to.

I answered your question and then you asked the same thing again.
Quote:you must install it from some bootable media
If you have to install from bootable media, how can you install from Windows?

I apologize if I sound hostile but on this page alone we have this and somebody else asking if anybody has tried to put XBMC onto a Revo. Read the thread title and you will see why that frustrates me.

- modey - 2010-12-22

some body else answered my original question and you dive in and responded to my reply to them without getting the full story, so if you can't be bothered reading it, don't reply and i can continue my conversation with somebody who can.... is this what this forum is like for newbies?

I was told by someone when i bought it i could just go to the website on my revo and install, obviously that is wrong then.

So to clarify i just download the live iso from here: http://xbmc.org/download/ put it onto a bootable usb and install, that's it?

- edbro - 2010-12-22

Go back to your post. Your response was a question that I tried to answer.

Quote: just download the live iso from here: http://xbmc.org/download/ put it onto a bootable usb and install, that's it?
No, that's not it. Go back to the post you responded to and you will see that you need to use unetbootin to create the bootable disk. You can't just copy the iso onto a stick, even if it is already bootable. Unetbootin will create a bootable live distro that boots into the installer.

- modey - 2010-12-23

edbro Wrote:Go back to your post. Your response was a question that I tried to answer.

No, that's not it. Go back to the post you responded to and you will see that you need to use unetbootin to create the bootable disk. You can't just copy the iso onto a stick, even if it is already bootable. Unetbootin will create a bootable live distro that boots into the installer.

Yeah sorry I meant to say do I create a bootable USB with unetbootin with the file I linked to

- bostoneric - 2010-12-23

start with page 1 and read carefully, there is also the lifehackers articles which is basically page 1.

- edbro - 2010-12-23

bostoneric Wrote:start with page 1 and read carefully, there is also the lifehackers articles which is basically page 1.
Unfortunately (or fortunately), I think some of the first post is outdated now with this new release. You no longer have to edit syslinux.cfg to make the usb stick bootable. You no longer have to create asoundrc to get menu sounds. You no longer have to slipstream graphic drivers into the iso. etc. etc. etc.

- bostoneric - 2010-12-23

edbro Wrote:Unfortunately (or fortunately), I think some of the first post is outdated now with this new release. You no longer have to edit syslinux.cfg to make the usb stick bootable. You no longer have to create asoundrc to get menu sounds. You no longer have to slipstream graphic drivers into the iso. etc. etc. etc.

while this is true. the lifehacker article still has some valid steps.
especially the section about creating the USB stick for the bootable xbmc live version install

- schneidz - 2010-12-23

modey Wrote:77 pages??... i joined today and someone else replied to my post, if you can't be bothered to read my full post then don't answer... no need for the hostility..

there seems to be some confusion:
live os: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_OS

a live os doesnt depend on windows (that is like saying you need a motorcycle to drive a car).

the xbmc-live-usb is essentially a small linux operating system plus the xbmc program that runs self-contained on a usb flash drive.
there is however a windows version of xbmc that runs on a full-blown install of windows.

decide on which version you want then download and run/ install the version of your choosing.

- nuuki - 2010-12-23

Like many others, I had some initial audio issues when upgrading to Dharma on my R3610. I use optical rather than HDMI. The guidance in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87986 got me 80% there - I now have audio for movies and TV shows.

However I don't get sound from any video plug-ins (YouTube etc) and I notice I'm not getting navigation sound either (not too fussed about that but I assume its related).

I've double checked my settings in Audio Mixer, and they look as I'd expect in Audio Settings. Anyone else got this issue, or have any ideas?

Apologies if this has been covered already - I did look through the recent posts in this thread and didn't see it...

- edbro - 2010-12-23

nuuki Wrote:The guidance in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87986 got me 80% there

Did you run all the updates in post #4 of that thread? That's what did it for me. The post is about updating Nvidia drivers but it also downloads a file named asound.conf. I know nothing about linux but I suspect that was the key.