Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- nuuki - 2010-12-23

edbro Wrote:Did you run all the updates in post #4 of that thread? That's what did it for me. The post is about updating Nvidia drivers but it also downloads a file named asound.conf. I know nothing about linux but I suspect that was the key.

I did run all the commands in that update, but its possible there was an issue with one of them so I can re-try that. I'm wondering if there's any difference as I'm using optical rather than HDMI...?

I may try a post to that thread - maye should have done that to start with...

- bostoneric - 2010-12-24

nuuki Wrote:I did run all the commands in that update, but its possible there was an issue with one of them so I can re-try that. I'm wondering if there's any difference as I'm using optical rather than HDMI...?

I may try a post to that thread - maye should have done that to start with...

yup you may need to customize your .ascoundrc and asound.conf files for optical rather then HDMI.
i'm not sure how to adjust those for optical, maybe somebody who uses optical can chime in for you.

Just bought a standalone system and burned ISO XBMC Live - Jacksont09 - 2010-12-26

Hello all, I'm not exactly tech-savvy, but I saw the XBMC online read a good amount about it, decided I would get it for Christmas, set it up as a gift for the family to view movies, play old games roms, tv shows, and use new apps people make with scripts, and maybe even browse the web with plug ins.

So I'm on a mac with a bootcamp edition of Windows 7
I purchased a 500 GB external HDD to use as my USB disk to burn my iso onto. Now I really don't understand how to burn the iso and I've read multiple guides none seem to help, so here is my first question.
I downloaded a program called unnetbootin and have yet to try it on the windows portion of my laptop, but will shortly and also downloaded the new xbmc live with the add-ons from the front page.
So assuming I burn all of that successfully, will I be able to use my HDD to store movies etc after?

Second question, I did not buy an ACE Revo, rather:
"Zotac MAG Intel Atom N330, NVIDIA ION, 2 GB DDR2, 160 GB HD, eSATA, HDMI HD-ND01-U Mini PC - No OS "
Reviews said it was fine for XBMC so I trust that. Anywhoo, the only USB keyboard I have is a Dell one and is kind of old, so old I had to buy a USB adapter for it. So I need to know if that will work?
And when I'm booting XBMC from my external HDD to Zotac, which will be plugged into my tv via HDMI cord, will I be able to see everything I'm doing in the bios etc on the tv?

Again I'm not very knowledgeable on scripts and plug ins and such, so my final question is it simple to add the ability to play roms onto the system easily? That's a script right since its a new program?
I know there's a wiki and I've read some on there, there's just a multitude of pages and I'm not exactly sure where to go on it.
Lastly, could someone direct me to an easy source on how to install skins, and store and manage my movies, roms, etc?

Thank you all so much, this is my first post, hopefully first of many to come.
Merry Christmas all!

- edbro - 2010-12-26

Unnetbootin is a program used to create bootable drives. Mostly it is used to create bootable USB flash drives. There is an option there to make a hard disk bootable but I don't think it works with external HDs. I could be wrong.

To create a bootable usb drive simply run Unnetbootin and choose the "diskimage" option. Point it to the xbmc iso you downloaded and choose the proper drive letter for your usb. That's all there is to it.

I'm a bit confused. Are you wanting to have XBMC on the Mac and the Zotac, or just the Zotac? If just the Zotac then you should be able to boot from a usb stick and install it to the internal hd. The first post in this thread has the walkthrough. Or, you can boot from the usb drive and run the program from there.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the ability to play roms". Are you talking about gaming roms?

- Jacksont09 - 2010-12-26

edbro Wrote:Unnetbootin is a program used to create bootable drives. Mostly it is used to create bootable USB flash drives. There is an option there to make a hard disk bootable but I don't think it works with external HDs. I could be wrong.

To create a bootable usb drive simply run Unnetbootin and choose the "diskimage" option. Point it to the xbmc iso you downloaded and choose the proper drive letter for your usb. That's all there is to it.

I'm a bit confused. Are you wanting to have XBMC on the Mac and the Zotac, or just the Zotac? If just the Zotac then you should be able to boot from a usb stick and install it to the internal hd. The first post in this thread has the walkthrough. Or, you can boot from the usb drive and run the program from there.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the ability to play roms". Are you talking about gaming roms?
Yeah roms from an emulator, I read you could do that and I would like to have that installed onto the ZOTAC, if its possible?

- Jacksont09 - 2010-12-28

Okay So I downloaded the Dharma version, I need to ask though does that have the Nvidia Drivers already installed? Because I am unsure of how to add extra files to an iso and feel like it would be a lot of extra uneeded trouble, so should I use the link below, or is there a way to get(download?) the nvidia drivers onto my already burned xbox live 10.0 dharma iso easilyHuh
I'm a tech idiot so please help, thanks!

"3) Addings Nvidia Drivers to the XBMC-Live Installer:
First you need to download XBMC-Live and then add the Nvidia drivers to the ISO. You can either do this yourself with an iso editer (UltraISO) or download this ISO of XBMC Live 9.04.1 with the updated NVIDIA.185_18_14 drivers allready added: http://www.fusedimages.com/xbmc.zip (thanks Duplo)"

- Woftam - 2010-12-28

bostoneric Wrote:yup you may need to customize your .ascoundrc and asound.conf files for optical rather then HDMI.
i'm not sure how to adjust those for optical, maybe somebody who uses optical can chime in for you.

I need to sort this out also. I got an R3700 for Christmas. I did a USB-Live install of Dharma 10.0 final release and everything is working fine except for optical out. I would of used HDMI but my TV won't passthrough 5.1 to my amp, only 2.0, so I have to go optical if I want 5.1 - and I do!

I've checked the mixer included under 'Programs' in XBMC and everything is unmuted, except for the microphone input.

Under 'Settings-System-Audio output-Audio Output Device' I have the choice of...

hdmi
iec958
Defaults
Custom
HDA NVidia hdmi (I can get stereo via HDMI with this setting)
HDA NVidia defaults
HDA intel iec958
HDA intel Defaults

Under 'Settings-System-Audio output-Passthrough output device' I have the choice of...

hdmi
iec958
Custom
HDA NVidia hdmi
HDA intel iec958

None of the expected combinations of non-hdmi options I've tried will give optical out. If any one has the solution to this I'd appreciate it. I've done some searching on the forum but all the results I've found are for earlier model revo's and/or earlier versions of XBMC.

PS: I also have no navigation sounds, even on the working stereo over hdmi settings.

- edbro - 2010-12-28

Jacksont09 Wrote:Okay So I downloaded the Dharma version, I need to ask though does that have the Nvidia Drivers already installed? Because I am unsure of how to add extra files to an iso and feel like it would be a lot of extra uneeded trouble, so should I use the link below, or is there a way to get(download?) the nvidia drivers onto my already burned xbox live 10.0 dharma iso easilyHuh"
No you don't.
edbro Wrote:Unfortunately (or fortunately), I think some of the first post is outdated now with this new release. You no longer have to edit syslinux.cfg to make the usb stick bootable. You no longer have to create asoundrc to get menu sounds. You no longer have to slipstream graphic drivers into the iso. etc. etc. etc.

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-12-29

edbro Wrote:Ummm... Yes, that is what these 77 pages are all about.

what paddyred forgot to tell you is that he's got a 3700 revo with Ion2, and I don't know of the procedure for this system is the same (esp. regarding alsa version)

- FlyingNun - 2010-12-31

I originally instaled 9.11 live on my revo. this is probably a stupid question but how to i update it to the newest version?

- edbro - 2010-12-31

FlyingNun Wrote:I originally instaled 9.11 live on my revo. this is probably a stupid question but how to i update it to the newest version?

Boot revo, hit ESC and select XBMC - SAFE MODE
login
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo reboot

- schneidz - 2010-12-31

FlyingNun Wrote:I originally instaled 9.11 live on my revo. this is probably a stupid question but how to i update it to the newest version?

this worked for me:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=670784

- Uuaww - 2010-12-31

- Uuaww - 2010-12-31

edbro Wrote:Boot revo, hit ESC and select XBMC - SAFE MODE
login
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo reboot

oy tried following this, got to sudo reboot but now when it reboots it ends on a screen with a tiny box that says something i cant read and a quit button i can't press.

how do i get back to where i can type in the rest and finish this process.

- prupert - 2011-01-01

Uuaww Wrote:oy tried following this, got to sudo reboot but now when it reboots it ends on a screen with a tiny box that says something i cant read and a quit button i can't press.

how do i get back to where i can type in the rest and finish this process.

This is happening because XBMC is notproperly installed, so it isn't loading, so you are seeing the standard login screen.

When you get to that screen, type your login name, press return, then type your password and press return, now run the remaining commands you didn't get to run last time.

GL