Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

HDMI audio - jackodagreat - 2009-11-07

@scott R,
Scott did you ever figure out if the highdef audio formats can be passed-thru the HDMI port (DTS-MA, DTS-HD)? I have a new Onkyo receiver so this function is all that is keeping me on the fence from building one of these boxes...don't feel like re-encoding all ym bluray/hddvd files to LPCM or multichannel flac. Thanks in advance,

- justsl2 - 2009-11-07

dazex Wrote:Just purchase from my local Frys for $180 +tax. Open up to install a 512MB stick that I had laying around. I can confirm that it comes with 1GB stick of DDR2 SO-DIMM with an open slot for another stick.
Mine came with 1x1GB stick of memory too, I was just wondering if people who were getting flawless 1080p playback somehow got a version of the Revo that had 2x512MB of RAM. What I have seen from my testing is that if I put in 1x1GB or 1x2GB stick of RAM in my Revo it does not play 1080p content smoothly. However, if I put 2x1GB or 2x2GB of RAM in it plays smoothly especially with the 2x2GB of RAM. In the spirit of disclosure when I tested the 2x1GB sticks one was ddr2-800 and the other was only ddr2-533. When I tested the 2x2GB they were both ddr2-667.

- Birtybasset - 2009-11-07

I'll take the cover off mine and see what's inside.

- Qooop - 2009-11-08

redknight Wrote:Hi,

The stuttering (know as "jitter") may be due to this vsync problems with your TV. This is what resolved the issue for me.

http://www.revouser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33

If you don't have any knowledge of Linux and putty let me know, I'll maybe do a "How To"

I just spent the entire day yesterday working on the jitter issue. I tried the above but it didn't work. I really want this to work. I even tried to reinstall winXP but I can't get it to install from the external optical drive. I can only hope that when the second memory stick arrives and I install it it will fix the problem

- redknight - 2009-11-08

I hate to say it, but it wont. I'm running the exact same machine as you and I don't have jitter anymore. It's a software issue, not hardware limitation.

All the extra RAM will do is smooth the transition of menus, especially if you are using very large backgrounds. That said, if you're using .bmp files instead of .jpg this isn't an issue. Essentially the RAM upgrade won't achieve very much.

- nvous23 - 2009-11-08

fatsarmstrong Wrote:Has anybody tried moving the Nvidia Drivers over to Camelot? I think I want to give it a shot but I am a noob and need so much hand holding it is embarrassing. I see an earlier post with somebody talking about new Nvidia drivers and I see that the Alpha has recently been pushed, so seems to me like the perfect time for somebody to update the Live installer for this scenario.

That was me who was talking about the Nvidia Drivers... If you notice, they're actually already included. See This Post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60991

- Qooop - 2009-11-08

redknight Wrote:I hate to say it, but it wont. I'm running the exact same machine as you and I don't have jitter anymore. It's a software issue, not hardware limitation.

All the extra RAM will do is smooth the transition of menus, especially if you are using very large backgrounds. That said, if you're using .bmp files instead of .jpg this isn't an issue. Essentially the RAM upgrade won't achieve very much.

One problem is after I use putty then next time I boot up it goes into a console/terminal mode and after I type in my root (or xbmc) name and password then I don't know how to get it to start up XBMC.

I am really a Linux newb. I don't know the commands or evan the most basic things. I was able to change to xorg.conf file but then it was like I said, can't get reboot without knowing the commands.

- ericb1 - 2009-11-09

Just got my new Revo.

I've got a good live bootable USB drive (it can boot XBMC from my laptop), but when I try to boot this same USB drive to my new Revo, it says "This is not a bootable disk"

Any ideas why this would work on a different PC, but not on the Revo?

Also, since the Revo has an SD slot, I was going to intstall xbmc to an SD card, but the options on the XBMC install are to install xbmc on either a fixed HD, or a USB drive. How do I get it to recognize my SD card to install on to?

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

- Birtybasset - 2009-11-09

ericb1 Wrote:Just got my new Revo.

I've got a good live bootable USB drive (it can boot XBMC from my laptop), but when I try to boot this same USB drive to my new Revo, it says "This is not a bootable disk"

Any ideas why this would work on a different PC, but not on the Revo?

Also, since the Revo has an SD slot, I was going to intstall xbmc to an SD card, but the options on the XBMC install are to install xbmc on either a fixed HD, or a USB drive. How do I get it to recognize my SD card to install on to?

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

You have to go into the BIOS and change the USB emulation mode to HDD. Or something like that... It then becomes bootable.

USB Drive Friendly - shabas7 - 2009-11-09

This may seem like a really stupid question but I was wondering is XBMC compatible with an external HD?

I am running XBMC on an xbox and I was thinking of upgrading to an acer aspire revo. However if I cannot plug my 1TB WD my book hardrive into it then I dont think I can be bothered. The one really annoying thing about having XBMC on my old xbox one is that it doenst have a USB port.

So to summarise; Can a plug a USB HD into the acer aspire revo and watch media directly off the USB HD via XBMC?

Thanks

shabas7 Wrote:The one really annoying thing about having XBMC on my old xbox one is that it doenst have a USB port.

Can't you just use one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Xbox-1-PC-USB-Adaptor-Adapter-Cable-Lead-UK_W0QQitemZ390113276901QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN?hash=item5ad49033e5

USB hassles - shabas7 - 2009-11-09

Any chance you can just reply to my question?

Yes you can - fig32 - 2009-11-09

I have a WD 500GB passport plugged directly into the Revo and it works fine. I can view and play all of my movies and music.

shabas7 Wrote:This may seem like a really stupid question but I was wondering is XBMC compatible with an external HD?

I am running XBMC on an xbox and I was thinking of upgrading to an acer aspire revo. However if I cannot plug my 1TB WD my book hardrive into it then I dont think I can be bothered. The one really annoying thing about having XBMC on my old xbox one is that it doenst have a USB port.

So to summarise; Can a plug a USB HD into the acer aspire revo and watch media directly off the USB HD via XBMC?

Thanks

Working but have a question - fig32 - 2009-11-09

I purchased the Revo and have it working just fine now. The installation went on without a hitch and all is working. I have been playing with the interface and wonder if this would be even better if Windows 7 with a full blown copy of Media center were installed? Would there be a real benefit or would this thing choke on that? Any ideas?

Mark

shabas7 Wrote:Any chance you can just reply to my question?

My response was based opon your comment:

Quote:However if I cannot plug my 1TB WD my book hardrive into it then I dont think I can be bothered.

Which made it sound like the only reason you wanted to upgrade was so you can plug an External HDD in. And if that's the case you can do that with your xbox.

But to answer your question, yes you can. Smile