Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- n0ns3rviam - 2009-11-09

I had bought a Revo R1600 from best buy a week ago.

After following this post and the guide down to a T. I had the unit working fine for a while.

Yesterday, the Revo unit had shut off in the middle of a movie I was watching. I turned it back on and all I had was a blank screen and the cpu fan was at max speed.

After calling tech support, I ended up returning the unit to Best Buy. I'm not sure if I will get another one of those.

Perhaps the Asrock 330 would be a better choice in the future.

Any one care to comment?

- schneidz - 2009-11-09

shabas7 Wrote:This may seem like a really stupid question but I was wondering is XBMC compatible with an external HD?

I am running XBMC on an xbox and I was thinking of upgrading to an acer aspire revo. However if I cannot plug my 1TB WD my book hardrive into it then I dont think I can be bothered. The one really annoying thing about having XBMC on my old xbox one is that it doenst have a USB port.

So to summarise; Can a plug a USB HD into the acer aspire revo and watch media directly off the USB HD via XBMC?

Thanks

doesnt the live-usb version need to have a usb hard drive. i may not be understanding your question but if the revo doesnt have a cd drive then how are you running xbmc ?

- Scott R - 2009-11-09

schneidz Wrote:doesnt the live-usb version need to have a usb hard drive. i may not be understanding your question but if the revo doesnt have a cd drive then how are you running xbmc ?
You can plug in an external CD-ROM drive to start up the XBMC Live disc. At that point you can choose to install XBMC Live onto a USB memory stick, or install XBMC Live onto the Revo's internal hard drive.

- schneidz - 2009-11-09

^ @scott r, thanks for the clarification;
@shabas7, a usb harddrive would work just as well.

Audio 5.1 to Receiver - dippin - 2009-11-09

Hi, will I be able to output 5.1 DTS audio to my receiver for surround sound from this box? I've been researching this for awhile and want to get rid of my wdtv live and pick this up today. Thought I remembered seeing that there was a problem with this? Any help would be appreciated

I also noticed that the guide states to turn the downmix of audio to "ON", which if I did not want to do, would I have any problems?

Thanks Smile

- ericb1 - 2009-11-09

I can get xbmc to install to a HD or a USB stick ok now, but how do I get it to install to a SD card? I've read posts of people saying that they have a dual boot Revo, with XBMC live running on a SD card, and then Windows or Linux on the HD.

But every time I boot XBMC it doesn't recognize the SD card in the slot. Is there something else I need to do for this?

Also, is running XBMC live from the SD card any better/faster/slower than running it off the HD? Will I notice any performace issues?

Thanks!!

- Qooop - 2009-11-09

Anyone notice the "hidden" USB port under the power switch. after opening the unit I saw it I't covered with a little rubber port cover. It doesn't seem to work though.

- Scott R - 2009-11-10

ericb1 Wrote:I can get xbmc to install to a HD or a USB stick ok now, but how do I get it to install to a SD card? I've read posts of people saying that they have a dual boot Revo, with XBMC live running on a SD card, and then Windows or Linux on the HD.

But every time I boot XBMC it doesn't recognize the SD card in the slot. Is there something else I need to do for this?
I had the same problem with my SD card. I just read a suggestion from someone saying that you need to go into the BIOS and configure the SD slot to be treated like a hard drive. Haven't tried this yet.

Right now I've got the stock Windows XP partition, an Ubuntu Desktop partition, and also XBMC Live installed on a USB memory stick.

- Scott R - 2009-11-10

Qooop Wrote:Anyone notice the "hidden" USB port under the power switch. after opening the unit I saw it I't covered with a little rubber port cover. It doesn't seem to work though.
I hope that's not true. I bought a cable-less USB IR receiver dongle specifically with the intention of plugging it into that port.

Thanks - shabas7 - 2009-11-10

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Small follow up question tho Smile Am i right in thinking that if I get this Acer Aspire I need to buy an IR receiver as well as a remote? Or does it have a receiver built in and all I need is the remote?

- Scott R - 2009-11-10

No IR receiver built in. You need to buy a USB IR receiver/remote.

- ericb1 - 2009-11-10

that's it, thanks!

- darrynj - 2009-11-10

Qooop Wrote:Also, I am only getting option for 1080i. Could it possibly be due to the long HDMI cable (50') run and the connectors? I get other devices to give me 1080p but they have 1 fewer switch in the path. And can that even affect the availability options?

I am getting the same problem. Just found a post about it at http://www.revouser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=173 but I am at work and have not tried it yet, also I have no idea what modelines is :p

Remote - shabas7 - 2009-11-10

What is the best remote for the revo? I would like to pick one up that just works, without having to mess about with drivers and all...

- Qooop - 2009-11-10

darrynj Wrote:I am getting the same problem. Just found a post about it at http://www.revouser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=173 but I am at work and have not tried it yet, also I have no idea what modelines is :p

Every time I try to modify the xorg.conf, in fact every time I log in with Putty and give it a root password, next reboot it goes to a text mode instead of booting up XBMC. I don't know how to get past that. Everything I can find on Linux assumes you have enough knowledge to get a program started. I have no knowledge of Ubuntu so for now I am stuck staring at some tty1 thing. Then I have to reinstall once again. And the Camelot install CD version goes straight to the text mode after the menu screen. Same exact problem.