Kodi Community Forum
Aeon based skins slow ? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: Aeon based skins slow ? (/showthread.php?tid=54687)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- Hitcher - 2009-07-16

I've done a bit of optimising on the Multiplex view (adding <preloaditems> and some background loading changes) that my limited knowledge of these allows, why not try that?

- dvdgorila - 2009-07-16

I couldnt use aeon it was very slow with my Intel g35 (asus p5e-vm hdmi). Scrolling through list view was slow. I have a quad core proc and 3gbs ram. I ended up buying and nvidia 8400 gt and everything is flawless now.

- Bob___ - 2009-07-16

I have a problem to understand what "slow" means in your opinion. "Slow" is relative. Is it possible that one of you who has this issue, could make a youtube-video of that case?
So it is easier to understand what the problem is, isn't it?

- needtotest - 2009-07-16

When it comes to speed/performance all the small things helps - one thing like smaller pngs only helps a bit (When I tested this last time with debug info on screen it did lower the resource usage) but the smaller pngs combined with other opts. should help the overall performance. Hitcher - I still think you should include the new png's in the github package...then we can take pngs out of the equation. (atleast those in the 1080 area)

/needtotest

- The-Boxhead - 2009-07-16

I compare Aeon performance against PM3HD, MEDIASTREAM REDUX and MINIMEDIA.

AOEN are the only one giving me problems, so that should be what you other also should compare against.

- Hitcher - 2009-07-16

needtotest Wrote:Hitcher - I still think you should include the new png's in the github package...then we can take pngs out of the equation. (atleast those in the 1080 area)
Sorry, I got rid of them after I found no change and JM said it'd not make any difference anyway.
The-Boxhead Wrote:I compare Aeon performance against PM3HD, MEDIASTREAM REDUX and MINIMEDIA.

AOEN are the only one giving me problems, so that should be what you other also should compare against.
We're just going around in circles here and this has been covered before.

On performance & Performance Issues

- mkortstiege - 2009-07-16

So there's no room for optimizations in AEON?

- Hitcher - 2009-07-16

Of course there is (turn off Flags and Overlays, don't use fanart, reduce the size of backdrops, lower the default thumbsize, etc, etc) but that's down to the user IMO.

- mkortstiege - 2009-07-16

Well, by room for optimization I was refering to the skin code. Without knowing anything about skinning actually it seems as if a code refactor like Jezz_X did for Mediastream seems to heal some issues. Mediastream compared to the Redux version feels sluggish (at least on my low powered htpc).

- Hitcher - 2009-07-16

More than likely but that's beyond my skinning skills and you are talking about Jezz_X here.

Maybe I'll do a MediaStream_Reduxed_Aeon.

- The-Boxhead - 2009-07-16

lol yeah Smile we're going in circles.

I've had a dive into Aeon code but fixing the issues might be beyond my skinning skills aswell. Im am however currently investigating the tips JM mentioned about animations.

- Jezz_X - 2009-07-16

If you want to see if its the animations add this to the skin.xml
<effectslowdown>.1</effectslowdown>
it will effectively make all the animations 10 times faster 1 is the default value fyi

And if the window loads crap loads faster (obviously the animations in the skin will stuffed at that speed) you know thats the cause.

But my Money is on a combination of
huge textures that take too long to load or can't be loaded proper into memory on weaker graphics cards (not nvidias), use of direct image access hacks (for the extra thumbnails) and animation speeds

- mcborzu - 2009-07-16

If people want a more responsive Aeon try the XBOX version. On my main PC which is 4 years old regular Aeon is sluggish but on the new HTPC I got it handles Aeon flawlessly. I always see a huge improvement on my main PC when I test out the XBOX version.

- paul - 2009-07-16

I turn off all the extra animations and without resizing any textures i find Black's Black mod works just fine on my pc running a amd athlon64 dual core 2.61ghz cpu with 1gig ram and nvidia Geforce 6150SE nforce 430 on board graphics hooked up to a 1080p 32" LCD TV.
And all my back drops are 1280x720 and fanart posters are all 1000x1500 and it copes very well, for such an inexpensive board an cpu which cost me just over £100Smile

- Lukas - 2009-07-17

I noticed a small performance improvement on wall views (max grid music album thumbnails and dvd covers load a bit faster) and transitions after defragmenting my "C:/Program Files (x86)/XBMC" folder. Which makes sense: I often update the skin folder, media folders and the files become fragmented (media updates, new movies/shows/deletions of old skins, replacing them with new versions, XBMC updates - a lot I/O going on in that folder). Keep in mind that all my userdata is in that folder, and not in %systemdrive%\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\XBMC

You can defrag a single folder (or even a single file) with Defraggler (freeware). It helped me, but I'm not advertising this as a fix for the issue described here. So don't be hating if this doesn't improve anything for you Wink

Grtz

Lukas