Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=54705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Let's measure the temperature - forumache - 2009-09-17

nvidia-settings will show GPU at 62C while doing nothing.
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda will show HDD at 50C while doing nothing
FAN is setup as Auto in BIOS

Is it the same for you?

P.S. For smartctl you need to install smartmontools (sudo aptitude install smartmontools)

Thanks!!!! Can VGA and HDMI 1:1 work at same time? - nathan909 - 2009-09-19

Thank you Vikjon0!!!
This complete setup guide went smooth.

I did need Kingmos's fix, for MP3 Crossover audio fade to work.
So thank you as well!!

I have another issue, something I would like to work, if possible .
The short question is:
Can both VGA & HDMI have a clone output, 1:1 at the same time?
(this would be ideal this way you can connect any device at any time)
&
Can both HDMI and L/R LineOut audio work at the same time?
Currently I can't get them to work.

And the reason why, if you care.

Well I have this system hooked up in my living room and it is working great. The HTPC is connect to my Harman Kardon AVR354 Via HDMI Video and Sound works GREAT!
My backyard speakers are connect to my receiver for audio (for the Zone2 audio, you need a NON-Digital connection L/R RCA's) I also have a Projector, which is located in my backyard connected to a separate RBG switch., so it can display different video.

So to get the backyard working I need VGA & LineOut.
Which I was able to do with my original Xbox.
BTW Karaoke on the projector in the back yard is a blast!

Thanks again for all your time and guidance it is well appreciated!!!!

- fidoboy - 2009-09-19

forumache Wrote:nvidia-settings will show GPU at 62C while doing nothing.
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda will show HDD at 50C while doing nothing
FAN is setup as Auto in BIOS

Is it the same for you?

P.S. For smartctl you need to install smartmontools (sudo aptitude install smartmontools)
Is there any way to show up the HDD temp on XBMC??

And about passthrough audio how can i get it working?

- forumache - 2009-09-19

fidoboy Wrote:Is there any way to show up the HDD temp on XBMC?

Once you know how to display something with XBMC, displaying HDD temperature should not be a problem.

- fidoboy - 2009-09-19

Ok, there is any reason for that cryptic answer?? xD

- forumache - 2009-09-21

fidoboy Wrote:Ok, there is any reason for that cryptic answer?? xD

None, except I don't know how to display info via XBMC. I need to read a little bit about plugins and/or scripts. But once I will figure it out, the rest is not a problem:
- I wrote how to display S.M.A.R.T information
- then use grep to extract just the temperature line
- and again, use cut to extract the last column

There is even a program called hddtemp which will return just the temperature, no need for the script described above. But you need to display it on XBMC script.

Now you see why, for me at least, the "hard" part is to display something, the rest is easy. Once I know how to display, problem is solved.

Still having problems with refresh rates and/or 24p material - KoosG - 2009-09-21

First of all I want to thank vikjon0 for publishing this great guide which made it possible for me install my Asrock ION with XBMC without having much knowledge of Ubuntu or Linux in general.

I do still have one major problem which is bugging me and it's the final thing I'd like to resolve before I can fully enjoy my system.

Right after following this guide I was having problem with 24p material. Obvious motion judder with camera panning scenes. When I added the "DynamicTwinView" "False" option into my xorg.conf and enabled refresh rates, problems seemed to be solved but the screen was schifted into the upper-left corner of my TV. So I was seeing half of the picture.

I then found a post of someone who said he resolved it and I copied parts of his xorg.conf and now mine looks like this:

Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder63)  Fri Aug 14 17:54:58 PDT 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       14.0 - 72.0
    VertRefresh     24.0 - 62.0
#   Option         "DPMS"
    Modeline    "[email protected]"  74.230 1920 2560 2604 2752 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Modeline    "1920x1080@50p"     148.500 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Modeline    "[email protected]"  74.176 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync Interlace
    Modeline    "[email protected]"  148.352 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Modeline    "1920x1080@60i"     74.25 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync Interlace
    Modeline    "1920x1080@60p"     148.500 1920 2008 2056 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Option "HWCursor" "False"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "HWCursor" "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24

Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI"  "True"
#   Option         "ModeValidation"       "NoEdidModes"
    Option         "UseEDIDFreqs"         "False"
    Option         "ModeValidation"       "NoEdidModes, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, AllowNon60HzDFPModes"

Option         "NoLogo"               "True"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView"      "False"

I have no idea what the "modeline" lines in this file mean but apparently they solved the 24p problem. My XBMC menu is also displayed in 24Hz since the appearance settings tell me the resolution is 1920x1080@24hz. I'd rather see this at a higher refresh rate but I don't really care much about this a long as my movies work correctly.

BUT! (you know this was coming... ;-))
When I try to play regular DVD ISO (PAL) files, XBMC crashed back to the Ubuntu login screen. After XBMC automatically restarted the DVD ISO will play but is shown in 50Hz! Which give really horrible motion judder!
The crash only happens once, but after playing another HD file it reoccurs.

Please give me some advice, I really don't have a clue what to do next...

- vikjon0 - 2009-09-21

Quote:Still having problems with refresh rates and/or 24p material

Ok, if your TV can handle it you should not need the mod line stuff. You could try go back to default and instead add this line as well as the twinview (to screen section):

Quote:Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
(I have updated the guide with this)

You should probably delete your conf file and start over. You have two screen sections that cant be good?

You should also always check the xorg.conf manually, I am not sure how well the sed stuff is working.

- KoosG - 2009-09-21

vikjon0 Wrote:Ok, if your TV can handle it you should not need the mod line stuff. You could try go back to default and instead add this line as well as the twinview (to screen section):

(I have updated the guide with this)

You should probably delete your conf file and start over. You have two screen sections that cant be good?

You should also always check the xorg.conf manually, I am not sure how well the sed stuff is working.

I guess you're right. 24p does work default with DynamicTwinView option but the picture is in the top left corner of the screen. But I know that this can be resolved with calibration. I wasn't aware of this when I first installed the system.
Unfortunately, it still switches to 50Hz. upon selecting a DVD ISO file. I tried serveral different ones all PAL so they should go to 60Hz. I cannot select 60Hz. in XBMC settings only 50Hz (full-screen). And within Gnome Desktop I cannot select anything at all since DynamicTwinView option is set.

Any tips left or am I ready for complete reinstallation? Smile

- KoosG - 2009-09-22

Well I got so frustrated that I went for complete clean install! No modeline custom stuff just what you wrote in your guide.

Refresh rate switching appears to work better then before! XBMC menu is shown in 50Hz (full-screen) and when I play 24p meterial, it automatically switches to 24Hz and back. DVD ISO files are still shown in 50Hz but without motion judder! Confused I don't care that it's 50Hz, it works fine now. But still when I select a DVD ISO file, X crashes back to login screen. The error messages that are displayed dissapear too quickly so I can't read them. Restarting XBMC will play the DVD at 50Hz but when I select 24p meterial afterwards it will stay at 50hz so I'm back with motion judder until a full reboot.

I'm banging my head against the walls here! Huh

I also noticed that when I select 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. manually from Gnome Desktop I do have an option within XBMC that says 1080p@60Hz. for screen resolution. But this won't last after a reboot...

- vikjon0 - 2009-09-23

Quote:I select a DVD ISO file, X crashes back to login screen. The error messages that are displayed dissapear too quickly so I can't read them. Restarting XBMC will play the DVD at 50Hz but when I select 24p meterial afterwards it will stay at 50hz so I'm back with motion judder until a full reboot.
Ok, this is new. If you are using the latest svn they are a bit unstable I hear and you will have to wait until they are fixed.
Eitherway I have no clue, you should probably put in the main forum togther with a debug log

- KoosG - 2009-09-25

I found the solution for my problem(s)!

I thought it might be handy to post it here since more people could came accross them.

I did several clean install in several different ways (Ubuntu Minimal, full Gnome Desktop, XBMC Live) and they all lead to the same problems. But when I removed the 9.04 stable release of XBMC and installed the latest 9.10 SVN release the problems were solved! I do need to add that the "Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native" line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf was very important. Without it I still had motion judder problems with 24p material.

I thought i'd let you know....

Thanks for your time and help, and still for this great guide!

- vikjon0 - 2009-09-25

Quote:atest 9.10 SVN release the problems were solved! I do need to add that the "Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native" line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf was very important. Without it I still had motion judder problems with 24p material.

ok, that it is interesting. I am on the SVN but I stopped updating a while ago due to the ongoing merge or what ever it is. The SVN have been unstable for a while but maybe they are getting closer to a new stable now.

- KoosG - 2009-09-25

vikjon0 Wrote:ok, that it is interesting. I am on the SVN but I stopped updating a while ago due to the ongoing merge or what ever it is. The SVN have been unstable for a while but maybe they are getting closer to a new stable now.

You warned me of that in your guide and that's why I went for the stable release at first. I don't wanna update and troubleshoot my XBMC whole the time since it's in the living room and just want to watch movies on it.

But I haven't seen any unstable behaviour yet. The release 9.10 which I have now was compiled early september 2009.

- Fox8 - 2009-09-26

I know this isn't related, but did anyone tried to plug in a microphone and successfully recorded something ? I can't and don't know why :|

My guess is that there isn't any device for input when I do aplay -L

Code:
root@nwc-desktop:/home/nwc# aplay -L
default:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, VT1708S Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, VT1708S Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

Any clues ?

Regards.