Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=54705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- vikjon0 - 2009-09-26

Quote:I know this isn't related, but did anyone tried to plug in a microphone and successfully recorded something ? I can't and don't know why :|

Go to the ubuntu forum or somewhere else with this problem

- User 34959 - 2009-09-26

Is it normal (with HDMI output) that the sound if cut off from the beginning every time playback starts? I've read another threads and someone mentioned some "HDMI handshake" thing.
Last i time had this same problem i was using 8.04. different motherboard and spdif output. Back then it was fixed by upgrading to Jaunty, i still don't know what changed.

- vikjon0 - 2009-09-26

Quote:Is it normal (with HDMI output) that the sound if cut off from the beginning every time playback starts?

I don't have that problem. I guess it depends on the exact version you are running. You can also try upgrading alsa.

- User 34959 - 2009-09-27

I already upgraded to 1.0.21. This is the first i use HDMI for both video and audio AND i recently bought a new amp, so there's just too many variables here :p

Edit: with this .asoundrc mp3s play fine, HDMI output won't "deactivate" when skipping through songs, instead it's always on. Videos still have this issue but i can live with that.

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

No Line Out Audio - nathan909 - 2009-09-27

Thank you Vikjon0!!!
This complete setup guide went smooth.

I did need Kingmos's fix, for MP3 Crossover audio fade to work.
So thank you as well!!

I have a small issue that i cant resolve.

I get no audio out of L/R LineOut even when audio output is sent to analog.

I have a shuttle PC with this same setup and it works, but on my ASRock I can not get analog audio through LineOut.

BTW my asound.conf is identical to Kingmos's setup.

Thanks.

- nathan909 - 2009-09-27

toiva Wrote:Is it normal (with HDMI output) that the sound if cut off from the beginning every time playback starts? I've read another threads and someone mentioned some "HDMI handshake" thing.

I have noticed this same issue when using digital output over HDMI or digital Spdif and connect it to an AV receiver. I believe it has to do with the AV receiver waiting for the Handshake telling it what type of audio is being sent 5.1 or 2ch and then adjusting before you hear any audio. This resaults in a 1 second delay when the audio first begins it stream. I don't think you experience it with/on a TV because the audio is alway set to 2ch.

I have noticed that on all types of devices. Most noticeable on XBMC with the navigation sounds.

- vikjon0 - 2009-09-28

Quote:I get no audio out of L/R LineOut even when audio output is sent to analog
If you unmute channels, max volume in alsa.
remove the .asoundrc and set xbmc to
analog
on

It will most likely work.
if not you have a unstable version of xbmc.

- nathan909 - 2009-09-28

vikjon0 Wrote:If you unmute channels, max volume in alsa.
remove the .asoundrc and set xbmc to
analog
on

It will most likely work.
if not you have a unstable version of xbmc.

Thank you this did get audio from the line out, but I was hoping for a much easier method, a setting that can be changed just in XBMC with out the need to edit .asoundrc. Is that not possible?

Thanks again,
Nathan

- KOROR - 2009-10-05

Thanks for a awesome guide, I never tried Linux before, but the guide was were very detailed, however I'm having a few problems which I hope someone can help me with:

1. When trying to uninstall nvidia driver with sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop my Asrock box crashes to some DOS looking screen. So I tried installaling new driver on top, seemed to work ok, except the mouse is acting up, like disappearing and making wierd "boxes" over stuff when using it. I was hoping HW cursor fix:
sudo sed -i '40i\ Option "HWCursor" "False"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Would fix this, but hasn't been the case.

2. When starting a movie from XBMC, I get the following sounds error "failed to initialize audio device check your settings hdmi" I think this is happening because I can't seem to find a hdmi setting in the "sudo alsamixer". In XBMC I changed settings according to guide to:
Settings, system, Audio hardware:
Audio output: Digital
Default audio device: hdmi (alt2 "plug:hdmi" alt3 "plughw:0,3")
Passthrough audio device: hdmi
Downmix to stereo: Yes

Actually entering the in bold above

Offtopic, I tried installing Aeon Showmix, Aeon Auriga and Aeon Hitched skins using this auto updater: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56423
But the skins was not added to the skin folder?

These are the problems I'm having right now, please remember I tried Linux/Ubuntu for the first time yesterday, so be gentle with me :-)

Btw Killa Sample vid is playing perfect for the exception of a glitch when starting it (besides problems mentioned above)

- vikjon0 - 2009-10-05

Quote:1. When trying to uninstall nvidia driver with sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop my Asrock box crashes to some DOS looking screen. So I tried installaling new driver on top, seemed to work ok,
Yes, that part could be a bit confusing.
1) You only have to uninstall if it was previously installed. The code in my guide is for uninstall a manually built driver downloaded from NVIDIA homepage. If you have installed the restricted driver provided by ubuntu there is a different procedure. If you start with a fresh installation skip this step.
2) Stopping GDM will drop you to command line and this is necessary in order to remove the graphical driver currently in use.

Quote:except the mouse is acting up, like disappearing and making wierd "boxes" over stuff when using it. I was hoping HW cursor fix:
sudo sed -i '40i\ Option "HWCursor" "False"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Would fix this, but hasn't been the case.
I am not sure about the wierd boxes, but I do not trust the sed -i command. Please verify manually that the HWcursor option ended up in the Device section. (and the other fixes in the screen section)
(sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

Quote:2. When starting a movie from XBMC, I get the following sounds error "failed to initialize audio device check your settings hdmi" I think this is happening because I can't seem to find a hdmi setting in the "sudo alsamixer". In XBMC I changed settings according to guide to:
Settings, system, Audio hardware:
Audio output: Digital
Default audio device: hdmi (alt2 "plug:hdmi" alt3 "plughw:0,3")
Passthrough audio device: hdmi
Downmix to stereo: Yes

Actually entering the in bold above
OK, again this is very clear when I read it my self...but not for all other people...
Only enter: Default audio device: hdmi
The other text is a comment. You may want to add plug:hdmi instead if mp3 or flash is playing to fast.

Quote:Offtopic, I tried installing Aeon Showmix, Aeon Auriga and Aeon Hitched skins using this auto updater: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56423
But the skins was not added to the skin folder?
No idea, but if look through this thread there should be a post about installing Aeon. Maybe that will help you.

Quote:Btw Killa Sample vid is playing perfect for the exception of a glitch when starting it (besides problems mentioned above)
Yes, I also get a disturbance in the beginning. Not the best sample, I only use it to verify that VDPAU is working.

- KOROR - 2009-10-06

Thanks a million for a near insta-reply :-)

Quote:1) You only have to uninstall if it was previously installed. The code in my guide is for uninstall a manually built driver downloaded from NVIDIA homepage. If you have installed the restricted driver provided by ubuntu there is a different procedure. If you start with a fresh installation skip this step.
2) Stopping GDM will drop you to command line and this is necessary in order to remove the graphical driver currently in use.

How can I know/tell if driver was previously installed? I didn't install anything, but after using your guide to install the nvidia driver, the resolution changed to something much bigger than before installing it. So I'm guessing this falls under the category "fresh install" and I therefor have done the correct thing by installing driver from step 1 and skipping step 0?

Changing sound setting to only hdmi worked :-)

However, I don't think the HW curser ended up where it should have, see copy/paste below:

Section "Device"
Option "HWCursor" "False"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

PS. When installing Ubuntu I made 3 partitions, 1 for OS (Ubuntu), 1 for swap (not sure what this is used to) and 1 for media, on which partion does xbmc install when using your guide? Shouldn't I have a XBMC folder in my Home Directory?

PPS. Would your guide still work if installing "Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal"?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1155961

- KOROR - 2009-10-06

Here is a screenshot that shows the curser/mouse problem, see top left corner

http://img225.imageshack.us/i/screenshot1ct.png/

- vikjon0 - 2009-10-06

Quote:Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

The HWcurser is in the correct place but you should only have it once...
I think your problem is another one and I do not know how to fix it.

- KOROR - 2009-10-06

Thanks for your help and patience vikjon, could you explain what you mean by:

Quote:(and the other fixes in the screen section)

how do I check this, can you copy/paste what I need to look for?

- stokedfish - 2009-10-06

KOROR Wrote:PS. When installing Ubuntu I made 3 partitions, 1 for OS (Ubuntu), 1 for swap (not sure what this is used to) and 1 for media, on which partion does xbmc install when using your guide? Shouldn't I have a XBMC folder in my Home Directory?

XBMC installs on the / (root) partition, just like every other app as well.

There is an XBMC folder in your home directory, but it's hidden > /home/user/.xbmc/...