Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=54705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- kingaru - 2009-10-24

Hello guys,

I'm using Logitech remote control with ASrock ION 330. Everything works more or less fine with it but just I can not find a way how to enable subtitles/sound toggle for movies by standard prefigured options. Can somebody advice please?

Thanks
K.

- fuggin - 2009-10-25

Hi, Ion 330 with XBMCbuntu per the wiki, running Jaunty 2.6.28-16-server kernel I get these errors when I try to install the nvidia driver from ppa
Code:
* Running DKMS auto installation service for kernel 2.6.28-16-server   [ OK ]

Setting up nvidia-185-kernel-source (185.18.36-0ubuntu1~ppa1) ...
Removing all DKMS Modules
Done.
Adding Module to DKMS build system
driver version= 185.18.36
Doing initial module build

Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.28-16-server cannot be found at
/lib/modules/2.6.28-16-server/build or /lib/modules/2.6.28-16-server/source.
Installing initial module

Error! Could not locate nvidia.ko for module nvidia in the DKMS tree.
You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.28-16-server (i686) first.
Done.

Setting up nvidia-glx-185 (185.18.36-0ubuntu1~ppa1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
linux-headers-generic are installed to /usr/src so I'm stumped as to what this problem is.

If anyone has any ideas or has seen this before and has a solution it would be appreciated.

* Resolved by using the generic kernel instead of the server... duh! *

- checkup - 2009-10-26

Hi.

I don't know if it has already been posted to this thread. To avoid tearing over HDMI, you simply have to disable compiz. XBMC running with the 3d Desktop enabled will lead to tearing, no matter what.

- checkup - 2009-10-27

Oh and with the nvidia 190.x drivers, when you disabled compiz, you must not disable the hardware cursor, as this yields a "scrambled" pointer.
I don't know if this applies to 18x drivers as well.

I still need some information regarding colours over HDMI. Got the feeling the picture is a little too dark and as if the nvidia-settings/xvideo settings have no effect when VDPAU output is active... ?

best regards

- hakova - 2009-10-30

Hi everybody,

I am receiving my ASRock 330 today and I can't wait to put that little box to work Big Grin. I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 to my desktop in a separate partition to test XBMC in advance. The only problem I had at that time was not being able to play DVDs for some reason. I did some reading which led me to believe that the new cdio libraries were not mounting DVDs appropriately. Then I tried the XBMC Live, which played the DVDs appropriately out of the box. Therefore I had decided to go with the XBMC Live option. However, last night I discovered that XBMC Live was not able to read DVDs with UDF format, which I happen to have quite a bit with mkv files in them. I had already removed the Ubuntu installation, so I couldn't check if Ubuntu 9.04 treated them any better. So here are my questions:

1. Do you guys have trouble playing DVDs with the minimal Ubuntu installation described in this tread? If not, did you do something special to overcome it, since I couldn't get it work in my experience, using my desktop, not ASRock.

2. Is it possible to partition the HD with gparted live CD first and then install XBMC Live to the first (small) partition to avoid reformatting the drive with every update of XBMC Live? If I get it right, that is the main disadvantage of XBMC Live installation.

3. Is Ubuntu minimal installation, as described here, any better than XBMC Live to read UDF formatted DVDs? If there is any work around for this problem that you are aware of, I would appreciate your sharing.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

- KOROR - 2009-10-30

Hi hakova

I myself am looking into dualboot, with XBMC Live on a USB stick and Windows 7 installaion on the Asrock, this in order to be able to playback DVD and bluRay discs in PowerDVD 9 as I have not found a way to get XBMC to handle these, i'm having a few difficulties with hdmi sound though, just some info of another way to go.
Please update with any findings idea you might have :-)

- Dannydeman - 2009-10-31

When I get my Asrock, I will have 2 partitions. One with Windows 7 for downloading from usenet and stuff like that, and a Ubuntu minimal installation. I will do a manual installation of XBMC with the XBMC install script. I think it's the most efficient way of using XBMC on Linux..

I put all my videofiles (1TB) on a external HDD (NTFS). Will this be a problem in Linux?

- hakova - 2009-10-31

Dannydeman Wrote:... I put all my videofiles (1TB) on a external HDD (NTFS). Will this be a problem in Linux?

I don't think this will be a problem. NTFS read/write support is well integrated to modern linux distributions.

Just as a follow up, I partitioned my HD with gparted-live first, and then attempted to install XBMC Live, which still wanted to repartition it. I let it do it. As a result, I have 3 partitions now on the HD a 5GB ext3, ~520MB swap, and remaining space as ext3, mounted as /home. So I wonder if there may be an option in the future XBMC Live distributions to enable the user chose from existing partitions rather than repartitioning the HD regardless.

Good news: I can play DVDs with CSS this way.

- zwat - 2009-11-01

great guide.
i just used it, but with ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) instead. so the ppa keys didn't work.
maybe move up the ALSA config before you config xbmc. i spent hours trying to get sound to work when the solution was the in the alsa config.
since i cheated with testing before i completed the guide i found some problems with something that looked like vsync problems. bobo1on1 kicked me in the direction of composite extension so i put this into xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
maybe the configuration you said fixed this issue also, but for me at last it helped.
one error that should be fixed here is a missing ' at the end of the string.
sudo sed -i '50i\ Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

- Dannydeman - 2009-11-01

The only thing I need to know is which WIFI USB Adapter will work with XBMC/Linux combo. I prefer to have Wireless-N because all my devices are (expect my phone, but that's fine).

- undunun - 2009-11-02

This is a very big undertaking to do a website like that. I'm just saying that if you want to make something like this, work your way up. Start with simple websites and add functionality afterwards. This is not a 5 hour website.

- checkup - 2009-11-02

zwat Wrote:the direction of composite extension so i put this into xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

It's not about Composite Extension, it's about compiz. Just go to "Settings/Appearance" and change desktop effects to "none". This will effectivly disable the 3d-desktop.

That'll solve the tearing problems.

best regards

- zwat - 2009-11-02

checkup Wrote:It's not about Composite Extension, it's about compiz. Just go to "Settings/Appearance" and change desktop effects to "none". This will effectivly disable the 3d-desktop.

That'll solve the tearing problems.

best regards

that composite extension setting helped me tho.

BIOS problem - pezlin - 2009-11-06

Hi,

This is not a XBMC issue but since people here has the Asrock ion 330 I ask my question here.

Does anyone has problem updating the BIOS? I can't get the asrock to find the BIOS file on my USB drive or HDD. I have tried two different USB drives. Does anyone has a solution to this? What is the name of the file that Instant Flash is looking for?

Thanks for your time!

- Dannydeman - 2009-11-06

No need to go to Linux if you ask me. Only if you realy want the internal player, but with a external player Windows might be even better (WMVHD support)..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePXP2kjPOg

This is the Asrock ION 330 with everything setup. As you can see, the Aeon skin runs very good and the video's are also HW accelerated and are very smooth. CPU Usage is far below 10% in most of the times (always when playing a movie).