Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=54705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- vikjon0 - 2010-04-20

Quote:I am having no luck getting VDPAU running. I did the apt-add-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa for my Ubuntu Karmic (9.10) install. Then I did installed the 185-glx version. In the xbmc log it complains that it is unable to get handle to libvdpau

I had no problem when I tested. Perhaps you need to install
libvdpau-dev

- akmofo - 2010-04-21

Anyone had any luck with Adobe flash 10.1 rc2 on this device? Specifically in x86 Karmic? I've tried every combination of driver with it, and 1080p Youtube still is 1.2 frames per second.

- vikjon0 - 2010-04-21

flashplugin-nonfree in repository works fine for me with firefox and youtube.
Have not looked into 1080p and youtube though.

- akmofo - 2010-04-21

akmofo Wrote:Anyone had any luck with Adobe flash 10.1 rc2 on this device? Specifically in x86 Karmic? I've tried every combination of driver with it, and 1080p Youtube still is 1.2 frames per second.

Wow, I didn't realize that hardware acceleration for flash only worked in windows. That sucks. N/m!

- mahonie - 2010-05-11

stokedfish Wrote:Has anyone tested this with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Beta 1 already?

I upgraded Karmic to Lucid on my Asrock Ion 330HT. Everything is running fine now, but I ran into a couple of problems:

- I used the upgrade manager in Ubuntu but the upgrade failed because of some xorg files. Not that strange: X was running of course.
- After restarting the system couldn't get past the Ubuntu splash screen. Luckily I was able to SSH in and run an update script again and fix some dependencies. After that Ubuntu booted just fine.
- XBMC was still there and ran perfectly as always except: my remote didn't work anymore and my HDMI passthrough audio didn't work. For the remote I had to do some googling (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/570700) and use the new 1.0.4 drivers. For the HDMI passthrough I had to set in "system > preferences > sound": Analog Stereo Duplex. (Crazy that I had to do this and disappointing Linux works this way)

After that everything was ok, looking much better and booting up faster. Sabnzbd was ok, firestarter and port forwarding is ok. Just be sure to delete all the Gimp, OpenOffice and games stuff after upgrading to keep the system lean.

Asrock 5.1 - srvduplex - 2010-05-17

Hi guys,

I installed as weel lucid on asrock from fresh install I used the 64bit version.

All went fine nothing special to mention, except that I have no 5.1 sound only stereo coming out of the HDMI our S/PDIF.

I have been through a lot of reading and try many ways unsucessfully.

If anyone culd help me, it would be great, as the HD is so great just missing some real sound on xbmc.

How to activate 5.1 sound ASRCOK ION 330

cheers

ASRock Problems with Stacking and H.264 content - mad_footer - 2010-06-04

I have been running XBMC on my ASRock ION 330 running Ubuntu 9.04 for about a year with no problems. Just recently I started having problems playing (streaming from my NAS) MP4 files (H.264) recorded on my Flip MinoHD camera. The playback is jumpy and the audio/video are out of sync. I don't have any problems playing any other type of content (ripped DVD's - VOB files, AVI's, etc.). Also noticed now that AVI and MP4 files are not stacking but VOB files are just fine. Wierd thing is that if I connect an older version of XBMC running on an XBOX to the same NAS and browse the sources/folders, all files are stacked just fine.

Any ideas what the source of these apparently new problems would be?

- BLKMGK - 2010-06-04

mad_footer Wrote:I have been running XBMC on my ASRock ION 330 running Ubuntu 9.04 for about a year with no problems. Just recently I started having problems playing (streaming from my NAS) MP4 files (H.264) recorded on my Flip MinoHD camera. The playback is jumpy and the audio/video are out of sync. I don't have any problems playing any other type of content (ripped DVD's - VOB files, AVI's, etc.). Also noticed now that AVI and MP4 files are not stacking but VOB files are just fine. Wierd thing is that if I connect an older version of XBMC running on an XBOX to the same NAS and browse the sources/folders, all files are stacked just fine.

Any ideas what the source of these apparently new problems would be?

Made any changes? Updated XBMC? Updated Linux? Updated the camera? What changed... Huh

- tyche - 2010-06-09

Success!

A friend asked me to set up an XMBC box for him. He picked up an ASRock 330 on my recommendation after I had read it could handle high end video and I knew this guide existed.
I followed the instructions for 9.04 and the only snag I had was xbmc would crash when I tried to play h264 type files. Software render worked but of course couldn't handle 1080. The error was "failed to get VDPAU device". A little searching around and I found I needed to install libvdpau manually

sudo apt-get install libvdpau1

Now it's playing 1080 video smooth as silk and hardly any cpu load. So thank you to the original poster and everyone else that helped with this guide.

- alda - 2010-07-21

Hi, I have a problem to shutdown or go to sleep mode from XBMC.
Whne I press power button on the PC case, all is ok.
But when I choose shut down in XBMC menu, XBMC is closed and I can see black screen with blinking line and that's all. I don't know what is necessary change to get it working correctly.

Alda

Problems with remote... - mundus - 2010-07-25

Solved this. Re-installed Ubuntu ad did not upgrade the kernel.

I've been strugling with this for some time so I hope someone can help me...

I installed a fresh Ubuntu Lucid Netbook (10.04.1 LTS) on Asrock ION 330HT-BD and running Linux version 2.6.32-24-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 5 09:22:14 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

I got the MCE working fine in XBMC but after installing some other stuff (like making DVDs work, etc) the remote stopped working. I don't recall if I upgraded the kernel before MCE stopped working. In addion I moved the HTPC in another location and started to use wireles keyboard and mouse.

Originally I got the MCE working fine by downloading the latest CIR receiver driver and source code for Ubuntu 10.04 32/64 bit ver:1.0.4 from Asrok's website and installing it according to the guidelines.

Now I get the following:

Code:
$ sudo dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04.deb
[sudo] password for tuomas:
(Luetaan tietokantaa... 155659 tiedostoa ja hakemistoa tällä hetkellä asennettuna.)
Valmistellaan paketin lirc-nct677x 1.0.4-ubuntu10.04 vaihtamista (käyttäen pakettia lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04.deb)...
* Stopping execution daemon: irexec
   ...fail!
* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC
   ...fail!
ERROR: Module lirc_wb677 does not exist in /proc/modules
patching file /usr/share/lirc/lirc.hwdb
Reconfigure lirc
   ...fail!
* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC
   ...fail!
* Starting execution daemon: irexec
   ...fail!
Puretaan korvaavaa lirc-nct677x-pakettia...
Tehdään asetuksia: lirc-nct677x (1.0.4-ubuntu10.04) ...
Copy patch file...
   ...fail!
”/usr/share/lirc_wb677/lirc_wb677.ko” -> ”/lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_wb677/lirc_wb677.ko”
/etc/lirc/lircrc existed. append it.
patching file /usr/share/lirc/lirc.hwdb
   ...fail!
* Loading LIRC modules
   ...done.
* Unable to load LIRC kernel modules. Verify your
* selected kernel modules in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
   ...fail!

Code:
dmesg | grep lirc
[   13.248994] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[   13.249290] lirc_wb677: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
[ 1518.332037] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[ 1518.336395] lirc_wb677: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

ls /dev does not return any lirc..

Code:
s /dev
adsp     core             full     loop1   mem                 pktcdvd  ram11  ram6    scd0        shm       tty0   tty17  tty25  tty33  tty41  tty5   tty58  tty9     vcs   vcsa1
audio    cpu_dma_latency  fuse     loop2   mixer               port     ram12  ram7    sda         snapshot  tty1   tty18  tty26  tty34  tty42  tty50  tty59  ttyS0    vcs1  vcsa2
block    disk             hidraw0  loop3   net                 ppp      ram13  ram8    sda1        snd       tty10  tty19  tty27  tty35  tty43  tty51  tty6   ttyS1    vcs2  vcsa3
bsg      dsp              hidraw1  loop4   network_latency     psaux    ram14  ram9    sda2        sndstat   tty11  tty2   tty28  tty36  tty44  tty52  tty60  ttyS2    vcs3  vcsa4
bus      dvd              hpet     loop5   network_throughput  ptmx     ram15  random  sda5        sr0       tty12  tty20  tty29  tty37  tty45  tty53  tty61  ttyS3    vcs4  vcsa5
cdrom    dvdrw            input    loop6   null                pts      ram2   rfkill  sequencer   stderr    tty13  tty21  tty3   tty38  tty46  tty54  tty62  urandom  vcs5  vcsa6
cdrw     ecryptfs         kmsg     loop7   nvidia0             ram0     ram3   root    sequencer2  stdin     tty14  tty22  tty30  tty39  tty47  tty55  tty63  usbmon0  vcs6  vcsa7
char     fb0              log      mapper  nvidiactl           ram1     ram4   rtc     sg0         stdout    tty15  tty23  tty31  tty4   tty48  tty56  tty7   usbmon1  vcs7  vga_arbiter
console  fd               loop0    mcelog  oldmem              ram10    ram5   rtc0    sg1         tty       tty16  tty24  tty32  tty40  tty49  tty57  tty8   usbmon2  vcsa  zero

Any thoughts? Thanks!

New BIOS version - dekani - 2010-08-28

A new BIOS version (1.20) for the Asrock ION 330 is available from the ASRock website.
The description is :
Modify "RTC Alarm Power On" setup item's options.

May be useful for PVR user.

- xychix - 2010-08-28

mundus Wrote:Solved this. Re-installed Ubuntu ad did not upgrade the kernel.

I've been strugling with this for some time so I hope someone can help me...

I'm still struggling with this.
I had a running Ubuntu 9.** install.

After an upgrade to 10.4
Code:
Linux tvpc 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:10:02 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Remote doesn't work anymore... not that strange...

Code:
apt-get remove lirc  lirc-nct677x ; apt-get purge  lirc-nct677x lirc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Package lirc is not installed, so not removed
E: Couldn't find package lirc-nct677x
Building dependency tree      

This should give me a clean start!

Code:
apt-get install lirc
Building dependency tree      
Suggested packages:
  lirc-modules-source lirc-x
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  lirc
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/559kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,507kB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package lirc.
(Reading database ... 165347 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking lirc (from .../lirc_0.8.6-0ubuntu4_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for doc-base ...
Processing 1 added doc-base file(s)...
Registering documents with scrollkeeper...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for hal ...
Regenerating hal fdi cache ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
Setting up lirc (0.8.6-0ubuntu4) ...
   ...fail!

This already doesn't work out as expected? I should be able to get lirc up and running WITHOUT the proper driver right?

Code:
dmesg | grep lirc
[ 1699.212935] lirc_wb677: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

how to completely remove the current drivers for lirc and start clean Huh?

No Sound at all ... - Mark_H - 2010-09-12

Hi,

I installed 10.04.1 LTS Desktop and Dharma on my ASrock 330. I've also updated the nvidia drivers to 260.19.04 from ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates. So far so good, and xbmc works great - except that I have no audio via HDMI. I've checked the alsamixer setting and it all looks OK (everything unmuted and full volume). gnome-alsa-mixer confirms.

I have read about bugs in the 195 driver series causing HDMI audio problems, but my understanding is that the 253/260 series is OK in his respect. How would I downgrade to 185 anyway?

This has been doing my head in for a couple of days now, I've been googling like a donkey on drugs but I can't find any info

output of aplay -l
Code:
mark@xbmc1:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC889A Analog [ALC889A Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC889A Digital [ALC889A Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
and aplay -L
Code:
mark@xbmc1:~$ aplay -L
pulse
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC889A Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC889A Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output
mark@xbmc1:~$
Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated... Smile

Edit: removed pulseaudio in case that was getting in the way and also rebooted. I can now play mp3 music via xbmc, but still no audio on films. My Onkyo receiver shows Dolby Digital (TV recording). XBMC settings are all set to HDMI

make sure you are using 2.6.32-23-generic kernel - bcsmith79 - 2010-09-18

xychix Wrote:I'm still struggling with this.
I had a running Ubuntu 9.** install.

After an upgrade to 10.4
Code:
Linux tvpc 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:10:02 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Remote doesn't work anymore... not that strange...

Code:
apt-get remove lirc  lirc-nct677x ; apt-get purge  lirc-nct677x lirc
Building dependency tree      
Package lirc is not installed, so not removed
Building dependency tree      

This should give me a clean start!

Code:
apt-get install lirc
Building dependency tree      
Suggested packages:
  lirc-modules-source lirc-x
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  lirc
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/559kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,507kB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package lirc.
(Reading database ... 165347 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking lirc (from .../lirc_0.8.6-0ubuntu4_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for doc-base ...
Processing 1 added doc-base file(s)...
Registering documents with scrollkeeper...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for hal ...
Regenerating hal fdi cache ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
Setting up lirc (0.8.6-0ubuntu4) ...
   ...fail!

This already doesn't work out as expected? I should be able to get lirc up and running WITHOUT the proper driver right?

Code:
dmesg | grep lirc
[ 1699.212935] lirc_wb677: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

how to completely remove the current drivers for lirc and start clean Huh?

I had the exact same issue, until I read the Readme.txt included in the zip file from ASRock. This is how I got this working on a fresh 10.04.1 LTS server install, should work for desktop.

By default the 10.04.1 LTS installed kernel 2.6.32-24-generic-pae, so you need to install the kernel 2.6.32-23-generic, which the lirc fix from ASRock has been based on.

Assuming you have everything working just the way you like it but the remote is not working follow this procedure:

1. Remote lirc if it aleady exists
# sudo apt-get remove lirc liblircclient0 ; sudo dpkg --purge lirc liblircclient0

2. Install kernel 2.6.32-23-generic
# sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-23-generic linux-image-2.6.32-23-generic

3. Edit /etc/default/grub and change GRUB_DEFAULT so it boot to the older kernel
# sudo vi /etc/default/grub
In my case changed GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to GRUB_DEFAULT=2

4. Reboot into 2.6.32-23-generic kernel
# sudo reboot

5. After reboot check you are running the correct kernel
# uname -a
Linux xbmc1 2.6.32-23-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 11 07:54:58 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

6. Install lirc
# sudo apt-get install lirc

Select "None" & "None" during setup

7. Download the lirc fix from ASRock
cd /tmp
wget http://download.asrock.com/drivers/Nettop/Ubuntu/"IR(10.04)kernel2.6.32-23.zip"
unzip IR\(10.04\)kernel2.6.32-23.zip
cd lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-buntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23/
sudo dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-23.deb

Select "Nuvoton Transceivers/Remotes" and "None" during setup.

8. Check that it installed correctly
# sudo dmesg | grep lirc

You should see something similar to this
[ 7.001180] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[ 7.046587] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id high: 0xb4
[ 7.046603] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id low: 0x73 expect:0x73
[ 7.048158] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0

9. Reboot and enjoy!