Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=54705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- kurfitz - 2009-08-15

Hi all!
I have the same problem as buzzer with pm3.hd skin locking out the other skins(Aeon,Mediastream).
Have uninstalled and installed xbmc (latest svn)several times, same problem all the time.

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-15

I am pretty sure that is not related to my setup. At least I have no idea how to solve it.
Please post a debug log here: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52

- yaagshimash - 2009-08-15

Hiya, got my ASRock ION 330 setup with this guide - grats. I'm having a painful issue though. Each time I shutdown/restart into Ubuntu, I lose my 1920x1080 resolution (regardless of what it is set and saved in the NVIDIA X settings) and it defaults back to 1024x768. I've tried "sudo nvidia-settings", saving to xorg.conf but still the same issue - as soon as you reboot, it reverts back to 1024x768. Sad
Is this just a bug? Grrr..

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-16

Hi,
I think it must be related to the TV. I don't have this problem at all. New HD TV.
I have seen other threads about forcing the resolution etc. e.g. creating a edid file and load that in xorg. I really know nothing about it since it worked from scratch for me.

- buzzzer - 2009-08-16

kurfitz Wrote:Hi all!
I have the same problem as buzzer with pm3.hd skin locking out the other skins(Aeon,Mediastream).
Have uninstalled and installed xbmc (latest svn)several times, same problem all the time.

This morning i looked into my skins and i can choose all installed skins.
I donĀ“t why, but now it works (after several restarts too).

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-16

This is the .asoundrc I am using now with spdif

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8192
#periods 128
rate 44100
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}
ctl.mixer0 {
type hw
card 0
}

- poserdonut - 2009-08-16

vikjon0 Wrote:This is the .asoundrc I am using now with spdif

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8192
#periods 128
rate 44100
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}
ctl.mixer0 {
type hw
card 0
}

Any chance you could explain these settings and why you use them?

I'm running my asrock with spdif passthrough and I get sound dropouts, could this solve my problem?

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-17

Quote:Any chance you could explain these settings and why you use them?

I'm running my asrock with spdif passthrough and I get sound dropouts, could this solve my problem?

Give it a try.
I am using it to avoid shutter/spikes when changing from one mp3 to another.

- pistachio - 2009-08-18

I've gone through this howto. It's great. I want to try this and hope it will work for me (zotac 9300 itx + E5300) 'cause I couldn't get my pc work after a few days pain. Before that I want to make sure that all these are on Ubuntu 9.04 desktop x86 instead of x64, right?

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-18

Yes, it is on 32bit not 64bit and it is on 9,04 yes

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-18

Quote:I'm running my asrock with spdif passthrough and I get sound dropouts, could this solve my problem?

With XBMC SVN from aug 11 and alsa 1.0.20 it works fine without any .asoundrc
settings:
iec958

- poserdonut - 2009-08-18

vikjon0 Wrote:With XBMC SVN from aug 11 and alsa 1.0.20 it works fine without any .asoundrc
settings:
iec958

How did you upgrade to alsa 1.0.20? Did you compile it yourself or are there PPAs?

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-18

Quote:How did you upgrade to alsa 1.0.20? Did you compile it yourself or are there PPAs?
EDIT: Did you test without upgrading alsa? I didn't..interesting to know.

Try this from the xbmcbuntu guide:
Quote:sudo apt-get install wget
wget http://xbmc.org/wp-content/uploads/alsaup.sh
chmod +x alsaup.sh
sudo ./alsaup.sh -di

I did it like this:
Quote:sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install wget build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.20.tar.bz2
tar -xf alsa-driver-1.0.20.tar.bz2
cd alsa-driver-1.0.20
./configure
make
sudo make install

- pistachio - 2009-08-19

Thank vikjon. I'm getting closer following this guide. My setup is zotac 9300 itx with hdmi connected to tv and vga to lcd monitor (primary, I think). I just can't get my tv work without connecting the lcd monitor.

After running xbmc the first time on the lcd monitor, I set up dual monitor in "separate x screen" mode and start xbmc using "XBMC_HOME=/usr/share/xbmc SDL_VIDEO_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=1 /usr/bin/xbmc". xbmc can play video (no sound) on my tv. I skipped the xorg fixes part as it created other problems.

Now, my problem is the hdmi audio, no sound at all. I have tried hdmi, plug:hdmi, plughw:0,3 for audio device. What am I missing? (I already tested the connections in XP and hdmi audio worked.) Any other tools for troubleshooting? Please help.

Edit: I forgot to set the user and password as xbmc/xbmc during installation. Then, I adduser afterward and did the policy kit section as well. But I couldn't set the password to xbmc as it's shorter than 6. Does the user 'xbmc' and password 'xbmc' matter? Can it be run as different user? Thanks.

- poserdonut - 2009-08-19

vikjon0 Wrote:EDIT: Did you test without upgrading alsa? I didn't..interesting to know.

I will try to upgrade to a newer PPA version of xbmc and see if it changes anything before I try to upgrade alsa. Will report back when I've done it.