Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=54705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-19

Quote:Now, my problem is the hdmi audio, no sound at all. I have tried hdmi, plug:hdmi, plughw:0,3 for audio device. What am I missing? (I already tested the connections in XP and hdmi audio worked.) Any other tools for troubleshooting? Please help.
I am not sure. I assume that you have unmuted the HDMI channel?
There is something called speaker test that could be used for testing, I havent't used it.
Since I have only used hdmi together with asrock ION 330 I don't know much about problems on other boards. I had no problem at all with this.

Quote:Edit: I forgot to set the user and password as xbmc/xbmc during installation. Then, I adduser afterward and did the policy kit section as well. But I couldn't set the password to xbmc as it's shorter than 6. Does the user 'xbmc' and password 'xbmc' matter? Can it be run as different user? Thanks.
I am sure it is possible to create a user that does not work correctly with sound.
There are groups etc that the user should be in.

an idea could be to make a standard setup, use the xbmc user and wait dual screen and all other setup before everything is working.

- pistachio - 2009-08-19

In ALSA config, sudo alsamixer, I checked again and didn't find the HDMI column. All I have are

Master / Headphone / PCM / Front / Front Mic / Front Mic Boost / Line / Mic / Mic Boost / IEC958 / IEC958 D / IEC958 1 / Speaker

Does HDMI mean PCM here? Thanks.

Edit: Also, sudo alsactl store 0, no output and I assumed no problem. But I read the man page, is it supposed to create /etc/asound.conf? I have no such file there. I think very likely these are the cause of no hdmi audio output.

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-19

One of the IEC958 is HDMI. Try unmuting everything and raise the volume on PCM and master.

You shouldn't need a .asoundrc to get sound on HDMI. if you want one you have to create it.

- pistachio - 2009-08-19

I finally get hdmi audio from my tv. All I did just unmute "IEC958 1" in alsamixer even its volume couldn't be raise, i.e. 00. All 3 "IEC958" "IEC958 D" "IEC958 1" are now at 00 level. Thanks to anyone offering help. esp vikjon's quick response. Thanks a lot!

- blittan - 2009-08-19

00 is actually the sign for infinity -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity (it's a sideways 8)

- crimzor - 2009-08-19

I am using my Asrock Ion 330 with a monitor from Swedx and I had to force my xorg.conf to use EIDID information from my friend's exported EDID-binary from Windows (he has a similar model) to get native resolution (1080p/60). If someone else have the same problem I can upload the binary somewhere together with the xorg.conf. I am currently using VGA but will change to HDMI later this week.

Now the thing is that 1080p in xbmc does not run smoothly. I have followed this guide but with Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu. Also since the atom 330 supports 64-bit OSs I choose 64-bit. Is this a problem or why does 1080p not run perfectly? I have choosen VDPAU in xbmc and it runs a lot better than software but still not perfect. I've tried overclocking to 2.1GHz but zero improvement. The command 'top' says cpu usage is about 5% in xbmc while playing 1080p content... strange or just good usage of hardware acceleration?

So in summary:
1. Should Kubuntu work as good as Ubuntu?
2. Is there a reason for NOT installing 64-bit Ubuntu instead of 32-bit?
3. What is wrong if 1080p does not run smoothly? Read in post for details Smile

- pistachio - 2009-08-20

blittan Wrote:00 is actually the sign for infinity -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity (it's a sideways 8)

Yeah. I know the symbol just lack the imagination Wink. But I never thought the output level of IEC958 would effect. Is it supposed to be S/PDIF instead of hdmi. That thing took me hours to fix it.

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-20

Quote:1. Should Kubuntu work as good as Ubuntu?
I think so yes, but have not tested. If any doubt test it in the xbmc session as per my guide. Then the KDE desktop is not in play.
Quote:2. Is there a reason for NOT installing 64-bit Ubuntu instead of 32-bit?
I am told that the support for 64-bit is not good for the moment but have not tested. You do not need it on the ION 330.

Quote:3. What is wrong if 1080p does not run smoothly? Read in post for details
Make sure VDPAU is enabled and working. Try to run on 32-bit without the KDE desktop.
(in Gnome desktop you should disable visual effects, maybe some similar problems in KDE?)

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-20

I have decided to switch to a XBMCbuntu setup. The only reason is that everybody and his friend is hellbent on using a Live based installation and it is easier to compare test result etc if I am on the exact same setup.

I will add gnome-core afterwards so the only real diffence will be that I do not have GDM installed.

I do a manually setup instead of Live=>HD for two reasons:
1) The asrock ION 300 have a 320G HD. I don't want to wipe it each time I re-install. I need a separate partition for content.
2) The live do not want to install to USB stick as "non removable" disk. I sometimes do that to test a setup before I wipe the system om the HD.

This is what I did:
http://vikjonlinuxhowto.blogspot.com/2009/08/xbmc-reinstalled-now-xbmcbuntu.html

- zutcorp - 2009-08-20

Hey,

I just got my Asrock yesterday and installed w7. It is, however, snail slow in the menus of the mCE, so I decided to try install LIVE today.

I installed it on a USB stick and it works rather well. However it doesnt really work when I try to stream a 8gb MKV over the network. I just tested the same file on my (powerfull) laptop over the wireless and that works well.

im guessing its because the LIVE doesnt have the newest drivers for the Asrock? or am I missing something stupid in the setup section?

thanks for any feedback

Mr Noob.

- pistachio - 2009-08-20

Video playback on my lcd tv (hdmi) has serious screen tearing. I've googled for hours and the only thing is to enable vsync in xbmc settings. Nothing changed even set to always enabled. Any clue?

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-20

Quote:im guessing its because the LIVE doesnt have the newest drivers for the Asrock? or am I missing something stupid in the setup section?
Upgrading xbmc and the drivers could be a good idea yes. I am guessing that VDPAU is not working otherwise.

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-20

Quote:Video playback on my lcd tv (hdmi) has serious screen tearing. I've googled for hours and the only thing is to enable vsync in xbmc settings. Nothing changed even set to always enabled. Any clue?

Not sure. You could try to enable and use 24hz.
Or auto adjust refresh rate. (don't work well for me)
Or try different version of drivers (180 or 190)

- pistachio - 2009-08-20

Tearing only occurs in dual monitor mode and it's gone when I disabled my 15" vga. Maybe the different resolutions and/or vertical freq were causing the problem. I'll work on it as I'm always wanting more than a htpc. I wanna a 15" photo frame, web browsing and bt as well.

- akmofo - 2009-08-20

Might be worth mentioning that hitting 'm' in Alsamixer mutes/unmutes the channel. Took me a second to figure that one out.

Vikjon0, I noticed that in your blog, you no longer are performing the "Policy kit section". What were those commands doing before?