Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=54705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-21

Quote:Might be worth mentioning that hitting 'm' in Alsamixer mutes/unmutes the channel. Took me a second to figure that one out.
Good point. My problem was getting that MM meant mute...

Quote:Vikjon0, I noticed that in your blog, you no longer are performing the "Policy kit section". What were those commands doing before?
You mean my xbmcbuntu installation log? The changes to policykit gives the xbmc user root access to the power management. In the xbmcbuntu setup this in included in "sudo apt-get install xbmc-live python-apt"

- pacc - 2009-08-21

"HWCursor False" did actually turn off the mouse cursor in X for me and
introduced a lot of artifacts when the (invisible) cursor highlighted
menu's in ubuntu.

If you can handle a visible cursor I'd keep it "True"

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-21

Quote:"HWCursor False" did actually turn off the mouse cursor in X for me and
introduced a lot of artifacts when the (invisible) cursor highlighted
menu's in ubuntu.

It is possible that this setting create problems in the desktop. I only use the gnome desktop remotly in NX server and I have not seen any problem. I also use a basic desktop with no themes etc.

- akmofo - 2009-08-21

I followed this set of instructions, and had pretty successful results. Some things I'd add:

1.)I didn't realize you were doing everything through SSH, but this makes a lot more sense now when you did killed GDM, and I lost access to the GUI.

2.)I set the power management screen-off setting to "Never" rather than the default of 40 mins.

3.)I disabled the lock setting in gconf-editor so that when I resume from standby/hibernate it doesn't ask for a password.

Open gconf-editor
Go to apps / gnome-power-manager
Uncheck "lock_on_suspend" and "lock on hibernate"

4.)I'd recommend using the SVN at this point rather than the "stable version", because the stable version has the bug where you can't access the Audio settings OSD, or hit the "o" key without crashing the program.

5.)Still haven't gotten my wireless USB dongle to work properly yet. It's a Netgear WNDA3300. The ar9170 seems to work but I can only find an older-build of it, and signal strength is terrible. The updated driver is supposed to be included in the next Kernel, so hopefully that will fix it. Luckily I have a Ethernet to Wireless-N bridge to use in the interim.

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-21

Quote:1.)I didn't realize you were doing everything through SSH, but this makes a lot more sense now when you did killed GDM, and I lost access to the GUI.
I always used ssh. I need to copy paste from my laptop.I will add a comment about that.
I am not going to use the GDM anymore but that does not mean I killed the GUI. It can be started in console with "startx" but mostly I connect with NX from the laptop extacly as before.

Quote:2.)I set the power management screen-off setting to "Never" rather than the default of 40 mins.
I didn't need to do that when running in the xbmc-session. I am not 100% sure if thats because I did run on a minimal desktop the last few months but I don't think I ever had to do that on the ION 330.

Quote:3.)I disabled the lock setting in gconf-editor so that when I resume from standby/hibernate it doesn't ask for a password.
Open gconf-editor
Go to apps / gnome-power-manager
Uncheck "lock_on_suspend" and "lock on hibernate"
mm, this sounds familiar maybe I did do this and never wrote it down. Will test in xbmcbuntu in a while. I don't use suspend normaly.

Quote:4.)I'd recommend using the SVN at this point rather than the "stable version", because the stable version has the bug where you can't access the Audio settings OSD, or hit the "o" key without crashing the program.
I use SVN myself now, but stable worked pretty well for me. I could press o just fine and VDPAU also works. Now svn have some nice fixes for digital sound.

The problem with SVN is that sometimes they do not work....would be nice with a method to revert to an old svn. I guess I could make a backup of the binaries but it would be nice if they saved an older "successful" svn in the launchpad as a semi-stable PPA.

- akmofo - 2009-08-21

I saw where you installed SSH, but it didn't dawn on me how much easier it is to use when copying and pasting into it from another computer.

I was using VNC most the time, and it was admittedly, kind of a pain in the ass.

If I did it again, I would definitely use SSH over VNC.

- dev_don - 2009-08-22

does anyone know how I can install the latest Nvidia drivers for the Asrock such as nvidia-glx-190 - the version I have now is nvidia-glx-185

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-22

Quote:does anyone know how I can install the latest Nvidia drivers for the Asrock such as nvidia-glx-190
Replace 185 with 190 in the instruction above. Do you have another PPA or manual build installed you need to remove that first

- thomash72 - 2009-08-22

Thanks a lot for this guide! I installed XBMC using my computer monitor and everything seemed perfect. The only problem I have now is that Ubuntu will not seem to recognize my TV when connected with VGA. My Panasonic PV-70 only support 1:1 pixel mapping on VGA (HDMI results in serious overscan). In NVIDIA control panel the screen is set to 'CRT-0 (CRT 0 on GPU 0)', and the screen resolution is set to 640x480. I have no options to change these settings. The NVIDIA driver version is 185.18.31. Any proposals ?

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-22

Problem is that I haven't done any troubleshooting at all with NVIDIA. With my old (very) TV and htpc with ATI it was hell to get to work over TV out. Now with the ASROCK and brand new full HD TV (? well brand new anyway) I have no problem.

It sounds like it should be possible to fix this with NVIDIA setting from the desktop. Did you try to re-run the nvidia config command?
BTW, I do know one thing. Don't have the VGA connected when trying HDMI. It screws up the resolution.
Connect only one cable and screen and re-run the config.

Thanks! - Jaapmans - 2009-08-23

Thanks folks! First for this great guide, second for the solution to the last big problem: sound over HDMI! This is the solution for no sound over HDMI for XBMC on Linux on ASROCK 330. Yes, I spelled it out so the search engines can do their work and lead all who run into the same problems as I did into the great solution previously described!

pistachio Wrote:I finally get hdmi audio from my tv. All I did just unmute "IEC958 1" in alsamixer even its volume couldn't be raise, i.e. 00. All 3 "IEC958" "IEC958 D" "IEC958 1" are now at 00 level. Thanks to anyone offering help. esp vikjon's quick response. Thanks a lot!

- crimzor - 2009-08-23

crimzor Wrote:So in summary:
1. Should Kubuntu work as good as Ubuntu?
2. Is there a reason for NOT installing 64-bit Ubuntu instead of 32-bit?
3. What is wrong if 1080p does not run smoothly? Read in post for details Smile

After months of testing, here are the results!

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. 64-bit ION drivers are not as good as the 32-bit ones.

- thomash72 - 2009-08-24

vikjon0 Wrote:Problem is that I haven't done any troubleshooting at all with NVIDIA. With my old (very) TV and htpc with ATI it was hell to get to work over TV out. Now with the ASROCK and brand new full HD TV (? well brand new anyway) I have no problem.

It sounds like it should be possible to fix this with NVIDIA setting from the desktop. Did you try to re-run the nvidia config command?
BTW, I do know one thing. Don't have the VGA connected when trying HDMI. It screws up the resolution.
Connect only one cable and screen and re-run the config.

I've been over at nvnews.net, and it seems that I'm not the only one having trouble with the .31 and .36 drivers. I have been recommeded to downgrade to the 18.14 version and see if this helps. I have earlier installed the latest NVIDIA driver using step 1 - 5 in this guide(the PPA way). I have now downloaded the 185.18.14 driver and I want to perform a full downgrade to this version. I'd be very grateful if someone could assist with the steps needed? And since I'm a Linux newbie, please be gentle:-)

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-24

You have downloaded from NVIDIA?
You need to remove the PPA installation first then you just follow the instruction from the NVIDIA website.

to remove
sudo apt-get purge xxxxxxx-185
sudo reboot

You can also try the 180 version from PPA. I am running that my self for the moment
sudo apt-get install xxxxx-180
(xxxx-190 for that matter)

- thomash72 - 2009-08-26

vikjon0 Wrote:You have downloaded from NVIDIA?
You need to remove the PPA installation first then you just follow the instruction from the NVIDIA website.

to remove
sudo apt-get purge xxxxxxx-185
sudo reboot

You can also try the 180 version from PPA. I am running that my self for the moment
sudo apt-get install xxxxx-180
(xxxx-190 for that matter)
Thanks. I ended up with trying a complete new install. Even with a successful installation of the old 18.14 NVIDIA driver, I am still not able to get Ubuntu to recognize my Panasonic PV70 screen when connected with VGA (HDMI is not an option because of overscan). Everything works fine when connecting to a regular computer screen with HDMI so I'm still a bit lost I'm afraid... Since this is probably more an Ubuntu/Nvidia problem than a ASrock/XBMC, I have created a thread here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=137784

But proposals/suggestions are highly welcome (in my opinion the XBMC is one of the most responsive forums I have ever encountered with regards to help/assistanceNod). I'm not giving up on this yet. Trying to avoid having to buy a new TVEek