Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=54705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- Vladimir - 2009-08-26

ASRock ION330, 320GB HDD, DVD-R, 2GB RAM, Bios v.1.50 .
internal 320gB HDD - Windows XP NTFS.
I boot XBMC_LiveCD-9.04.1 -wait Video-Source-Browse.. my internal HDD NTFS - not detecting( not found)

What to do?

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-26

Quote:I boot XBMC_LiveCD-9.04.1 -wait Video-Source-Browse.. my internal HDD NTFS - not detecting( not found)

I believe that that auto-mount disk is set to OFF in the LiveCD. I have not worked a lot with LiveCD and I am not sure how to fix that.

There is a few problems & solutions:
1) LiveCD does not mount disk(?)
Solution:
I only know how to fix it if Live is installed to disk...

2) If you install from the LiveCD => the disk winXP will be overwritten
Solution:
a) Install live to the disk and overwrite xp, then shrink the xbmc partition and re-install xp with dual boot.
b) Install ubuntu & xbmc manually either to a partition on the disk or to a USB stick

3) Ubuntu does not mount NTFS (?)
solution:
a) Create a shared partition and use FAT that both Linux & win can read.
Problem is that FAT is not good and can not store big files like DVD.iso.
b) It is possible to mount a NTFS disk in ubuntu but I am not sure if you need to install a package to handle it, e.g. ntfsprogs and I don't know howto do it in Live.

I am not an expert on xbmcLive, maybe it is better to ask in another thread.

- Vladimir - 2009-08-26

vikjon0
XBMC LiveCD does not mount disk and Acronis Disk Director Suite10, True Image 12. Problem. Windows boot disk ( 7 or XP) - ok.

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-26

Quote:vikjon0
XBMC LiveCD does not mount disk and Acronis Disk Director Suite10, True Image 12. Problem. Windows boot disk ( 7 or XP) - ok.

Yes, but that is different. The LiveCD is setup in a specific way and I do not know how to edit this setup. In a complete standard Linux installation this wold be a small problem.

- mad_footer - 2009-08-26

vikjon0,

What exactly is your setup for a remote control? I am thinking about getting the ASRock but want to make sure my Harmony universal remote will work with the Ubuntu setup that you have documented.

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-26

Quote:What exactly is your setup for a remote control?
I have the original MS MCE remote, I only need to install lirc and select windows MCE then it works.

I think the issue for you is to find a IR receiver that works and then I think you can set the Harmany to send the same signals as the MS MCE. I haven't done that my self though.

- ripax - 2009-08-26

damob Wrote:More probs - now that XBMC is setup I have moved the PC to my living room 42' Sony. When connected via HDMI at 1920x1080 the desktop spills out past the frame of the tv and I cannot see everything like toolbars and some shortcuts. I have tried various resolutions and playing with my TV remote but no success. Again if I use the VGA cable, it is fine but I want my sound to be played via HDMI on my TV and now I have changed the settings on XBMC I don't know what they need to be changed back to, to get audio via the soundcard output - if there is no solution to the HDMI video res.

Any ideas?

Maybe it's a little late, but... Maybe this could help some others.

I had exactly the same problem, and could not find an answer in this tread.

For me it was the TV settings.
Very strange, but in my hdmi 4 input on my tv i suddenly got one more choice.
There is usualy 3 options: alt1: Normal, alt2: -1, alt2: -2.
The minus is just getting the problem bigger.
But suddenly there was a new option, FULL PIXEL.
And that's it.
You must have the computer running on the TV, then:
-Meny
-settings
-Screencontrol >
-Screenarea -Change the settings to "FULL PIXEL".
I don't know the exact name of the settings, becouse I transelate from my ovn language

I have a 40" Sony full HD TV.

--------------

Thanks for an exelent guide, medicineuk, without this I had never made it

---------------

- mad_footer - 2009-08-26

vikjon0,

Thanks for the response. I used to be running XBMC on an XBOX and Harmony remote worked just fine. What you are using for an IR Receiver with your setup?

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-26

Quote:I used to be running XBMC on an XBOX and Harmony remote worked just fine. What you are using for an IR Receiver with your setup?

I am using the IR dongle that come with the MS MCE remote. It seem to be pretty generic. E.g. I have a Pinnacle that does not connect to Linux, but the remote works fine with the MS dongle.
From what I understand you can convert the xbox ir receiver to USB, but I have no experience of that, coming from Vista MCE.

- bbaldino - 2009-08-27

Great guide!

I'm seeing a couple problems:

The first is one others seem to be seeing...which is some stuttering with 1080p playback. VDPAU is definitely being used, and the dropped frames aren't too high (although pressing 'O' seems to raise the stress level, I see more stuttering with that window being displayed). Most of the time though, I see some stuttering that doesn't seem to correspond to any dropped frames. Right now I'm using the Nvidia 190.18.03 driver, and I've got all effects turned off. In the meantime, I think I'll try some of the other drivers out.

EDIT: I tried the 185 drivers...same issue.

The second I don't think I've seen anyone mention. I get a slight "rolling" on the screen, even outside of XBMC, and even in a terminal (ctrl+alt+F1). I assume this is an incorrect setting somewhere in the nvidia-settings that is clashing with my TV, but I can't for the life of me figure which it would be. I've also cruised my TV settings but don't see much effect tweaking those either. Any ideas?
To clarify, it's like there are lines continuously moving down the screen, and it's the most obvious on black screens.

Thanks!

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-27

You should try to enable 24hz, auto adjust refresh rate. This should enable xbmc to display the content in correct freq.

add in screen section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

And enable auto adjust refreshrate under VDPAU.
On my TV I can see the freq chnage to 24,50 or 60 depending on the movie and back to 60 in the GUI.
If all your content is in the same freq you could change the GUI freq in screen res.

- bbaldino - 2009-08-27

vikjon0 Wrote:You should try to enable 24hz, auto adjust refresh rate. This should enable xbmc to display the content in correct freq.

add in screen section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

And enable auto adjust refreshrate under VDPAU.
On my TV I can see the freq chnage to 24,50 or 60 depending on the movie and back to 60 in the GUI.
If all your content is in the same freq you could change the GUI freq in screen res.

Thanks for the tips!
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False" I had, but I didn't have Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native", will add that.

For the other options, I'm not sure where they're all located. What setting determines "enable 24Hz" ? Also, I've now checked "Adjust refresh rate" under the "Render method: VDPAU" in settings->video, is that what you mean?

I'll try them now!

EDIT: It looks like this may have resulted in an improvement...I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow...I've been up late enough tinkering for tonight Smile

- vikjon0 - 2009-08-27

Quote:For the other options, I'm not sure where they're all located. What setting determines "enable 24Hz" ?
In appearance/screen resolution you should have 1920x1080 24hz. Thats what we are looking for. You can then manually change to this. However, since I have a lot of 50hz material I dont want that. I think I will probably change from 60=>50 though since it takes some time to return to the GUI from 50hz material as it is now. (I don't have a lot of 60hz material)
I think 50 is PAL, 60 NTCS and 24 HD? You need to display the content in a freq that is a multiple of the freq of the content otherwise it will perheps "roll" since it has to drop lines

Anyway since most my material is 50hz enabling 24hz is meaningless without auto-adjust.
Quote: Also, I've now checked "Adjust refresh rate" under the "Render method: VDPAU" in settings->video, is that what you mean?
Yes. and I need this to get it to work:
Quote:Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

My TV detect the chnage and report the freq when I am starting a file with a different freq than the GUI. Otherwise you can see it on the screen if press z.

- bbaldino - 2009-08-27

vikjon0 Wrote:In appearance/screen resolution you should have 1920x1080 24hz. Thats what we are looking for. You can then manually change to this. However, since I have a lot of 50hz material I dont want that. I think I will probably change from 60=>50 though since it takes some time to return to the GUI from 50hz material as it is now. (I don't have a lot of 60hz material)
I think 50 is PAL, 60 NTCS and 24 HD? You need to display the content in a freq that is a multiple of the freq of the content otherwise it will perheps "roll" since it has to drop lines

Anyway since most my material is 50hz enabling 24hz is meaningless without auto-adjust.

Yes. and I need this to get it to work:

My TV detect the chnage and report the freq when I am starting a file with a different freq than the GUI. Otherwise you can see it on the screen if press z.

Ok, I do have the "Adjust refresh rate" set correctly, but in my appearance it shows "fullscreen 1920x1080p 60Hz", and I didn't see "1920x1080p 24Hz" anywhere in there. Can I manually add this to xorg.conf somewhere?

Also, when watching a movie, if I press "z", I see 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, but pressing "o" shows the FPS as ~24...is auto adjust not working correctly?

Thanks for the help

- gabbott - 2009-08-27

bbaldino Wrote:Also, when watching a movie, if I press "z", I see 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, but pressing "o" shows the FPS as ~24...is auto adjust not working correctly?

Thanks for the help

When you hit O and it shows FPS isn't that just showing you what the source is?