Kodi Community Forum
Is there a stand-alone media manager software application for music that suits XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Is there a stand-alone media manager software application for music that suits XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=54900)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- azido - 2009-11-08

steve1977 Wrote:3) "How I add to the library": well, I thought there is just one option? I selected my Itunes folder and then click "scn item to library".

actually there are two ways - the one you've mentioned (in which btw. i never trust, because if you scrape in an album where more than one entry exists, it doesn't stop to ask you making the decision, but use the first hit instead, which isn't always right) or

going into file mode, dive in to the album folder, highlight the album, use context menu and scan item to the database. i'm doing this for every album to ensure i get accurate results (note you have to enable "download additional info on library updates" in settings to be able to scrape for info using this)

by telling you this, another question comes up: do you scrape for info at all? or do you just read in the id3 tags and do no further lookup on the net for additional info for artist and album? might be the case..

- Waffa - 2009-11-08

azido Wrote:yes, i am pretty sure about that. there is one easy way to confirm the usage of folder.jpg for artists:

scan in an album with for sure has an image for the artist. remove any image that might be in the artist folder afterwards. then, export your music library to separate files with thumbs n fanart - and you will see there is a folder.jpg in your artist's dir.

not seeing this in the wiki simply means noone added it there.

Ok it will export it as folder.jpg, but folder.jpg won't scan in from folder.

Looks like xbmc doesn't look in folder at all while scraping for artist thumb..

Maybe/probably it works if you import a library. Didn't try.

- azido - 2009-11-08

Waffa Wrote:Ok it will export it as folder.jpg, but folder.jpg won't scan in from folder.

Looks like xbmc doesn't look in folder at all while scraping for artist thumb..

Maybe/probably it works if you import a library. Didn't try.

it does it here without a problem. using aeon showmix - dunno if that makes any difference to other skins, but if i have a folder.jpg inside the artists folder of a new to scan in album xbmc uses that one to display the artist thumb for me.

if i try to set an artist thumb manually it also is displayed as the "local thumb".

- Waffa - 2009-11-08

Yep if set thumb manually local thumb is shown but it is not picked up as current thumb.

Btw this happens while scanning compleet music folder incl. artist info.

And just saw that some artist folder.jpg not shown as local but if browse it is off course present.

- azido - 2009-11-08

Waffa Wrote:Yep if set thumb manually local thumb is shown but it is not picked up as current thumb.

Btw this happens while scanning compleet music folder incl. artist info.

And just saw that some artist folder.jpg not shown as local but if browse it is off course present.

strange.

just tested it on a new build using default skin. added a source for albums, then used the same option as you (already have artist.nfo, album.nfo and all the thumbs and fanart in the respective folders, so it retrieves all the stuff directly from files)

obviously you can see that these are no scraped thumbs, but my own premade ones. they all show up fine. the only one not showing up is the one for 4hero, but thats because this contains a 2disc album where on disc 1 the artist is 4hero and on disc2 there are various artists. therefore i've put folder.jpg and folder2.jpg into and have to assign it manually.

all the others show up correct.

if i have the time i can also prove the same for a new item where there is no nfo present, but folder and fanart.jpg are.

- Waffa - 2009-11-08

Hmmm that may be the case.!!!
Have a lot of Hip hop cd's and those homeboys often sing together.Laugh(various artist)

And yep Metallica for example did scrape right.

Thanks for your musiclibrary knowledgeBig Grin

Nice custom thumbs btw.

- Copey - 2009-11-09

Ember does a fantastic job on Movies and XMM hits the spot for TV Nod but sadly Music seems to be the family member that doesn't get invited to parties No

Building a library using XBMC is so painful...especially when is goes belly up Sad It also isn't the easiest of things to duplicate if you have multiple XBMC setups round the house!

Having the ability to scan for info off-line rather than on-line would be a major boost for XBMC and is something I would like to help happen.
I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to building software but am more than happy to help out with other elements if I can Wink

- azido - 2009-11-09

Copey Wrote:Ember does a fantastic job on Movies and XMM hits the spot for TV Nod but sadly Music seems to be the family member that doesn't get invited to parties No

Building a library using XBMC is so painful...especially when is goes belly up Sad It also isn't the easiest of things to duplicate if you have multiple XBMC setups round the house!

Having the ability to scan for info off-line rather than on-line would be a major boost for XBMC and is something I would like to help happen.
I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to building software but am more than happy to help out with other elements if I can Wink

oh well.. all stands and falls with correctly tagged music files. it's the a and o of your music library - basically that's the same for every app which holds a music library.

on the other hand, there is so much convenience when it comes to adding/removing stuff done by 3rd party software for all kind of videos - now even an app for direct access to the database exists. trust me, if i had the nuts i would write a gui just for music data editing. but i'm lacking in programming skills, and so i have to wait until someone finally hears me crying enough.. i hope this day will come with the universal media manager.

- Copey - 2009-11-09

LOL, tell me about it!

I spent the best part of 8 months re-tagging all my music when I discovered the joys of Media Monkey Eek

I keep meaning to back and fill in all the missing info for year & genre etc... OCD is not much fun No

- Halibutt - 2009-11-10

Copey Wrote:LOL, tell me about it!

I spent the best part of 8 months re-tagging all my music when I discovered the joys of Media Monkey Eek

I keep meaning to back and fill in all the missing info for year & genre etc... OCD is not much fun No
After having spent lots and lots of sleepless nights on trying to sort my music out, here's the sequence I'm using currently:
  • Tag the music with MusicBrainz Picard. It's better than MediaMonkey in that it doesn't depend on country-specific releases - and seems to be faster.
  • Auto-sort tagged files into folders based on artist name and album (..\<artist>\<Album>\song.mp3) using MediaMonkey
  • Download missing fanart using MediaInfoPlus.

Sure, it takes ages, but still.
Cheers

- chumaj001 - 2009-11-10

J river media center 14 is great for managing and tagging music and for cover art search. If it will not find cover, it has built in web browser where you can just click on your album in library and then on google and it will use google images to find cover and then click on the picture and it will add it to your album. It can also move and organize your files to new directory structure based on id3tags and your preferences (by year, artist, album, genres etc.)

Plus - it looks sexy and has even 3d visualisations similiar to itunes.

Its not freeware, but they have 30 days trial and even ligt version just for music, which is freeware. It also has WASAPI output for highest sound quality. I tried Monkey, Songbird, Winamp, Picard and many others and ended up with this one and even paid for it, which should mean something, since here is so many free alternatives Smile

Highly reccomended.

What is everyone using to tag there music? - Dred - 2009-11-21

I am using windows and was hoping for a automated way to just tag all my music correctly.. Is there such a program to do this? I have downloaded mp3tag and trying to figure out how to use it.

I have a lot of music so was hoping most of the tagging would be automated with popup dialog asking specifically which album/artist to select in case its not sure.

If there is no automated way what is the best or most recomended software in windows to tag my music.

Thanks

- jmarshall - 2009-11-22

There's literally THOUSANDS of apps for windows to tag.

Foobar2000 is pretty good, as is MediaMonkey, or even iTunes.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- Ratchet - 2009-11-22

Tag&Rename
http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

- Loto_Bak - 2009-11-22

I used to be diehard tag&rename, but it does not support rating music so ive since switched to mediamonkey.

Works great, though I prefer tag&rename for initial tagging beofre importing for a couple reasons
a) it runs on linux via wine so I can tag quickly though a vnc
b) its file structure based and doesnt require I scan the music into a library whereas media monkey does
again doesnt support rating tho which is how I find good music these days