Kodi Community Forum
Auto generate thumbs on library update? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Auto generate thumbs on library update? (/showthread.php?tid=55097)

Pages: 1 2

Auto generate thumbs on library update? - Hitcher - 2009-07-21

At the moment thumbs are generated when you actually check the video in question but with the release of the 'Latest Added' script this means we still see empty spaces on the Home screen.
Couldn't XBMC generate it when the library is updating and it doesn't find one?

- Hitcher - 2009-07-25

Nobody else think this would be useful then?

- AnalogKid - 2009-07-25

What do you mean by 'when you check the video in question'?

Are you saying that currently the thumbs are generated 'on demand' (as a given video file is accessed for playback?)

I understood that the thumbs would be gathered at the point where a media file was discovered and added to the library, any associated artwork was also searched for and added (if found) to the local cache. In addition to this, when the user scanned again for new media, XBMC looks for changes in existing media folders (by a hash) and refreshes any 'changed' artwork (although I have known this to fail countless times in the past, and only total delete and reimport has worked for me.

I believe it to be a great idea to update any artwork whenever the library is updated, but isn't XBMC already supposed to be doing this?

- Hitcher - 2009-07-25

How it works at the moment -

Start XBMC,
Library Updates and adds newly found videos,
Latest Added shows the new videos but if there was no thumb it shows a blank space,
Navigate to the said video and XBMC then generates a thumb,
Latest Added now shows thumb.

- CapnBry - 2009-07-25

To clarify what Hitcher is saying, if the scraper doesn't return a thumb for the item, one will not be autogenerated until the actual directory of the file is visited by the user.

- mkortstiege - 2009-07-25

That's by design (it's working like CapnBrys meta extraction stuff aka flagging).

- Hitcher - 2009-07-25

vdrfan Wrote:That's by design (it's working like CapnBrys meta extraction stuff aka flagging).
I fully accept and understand that and it worked perfectly fine that way up until now, but with the release of the 'Latest Added' feature could it not be changed?

- mkortstiege - 2009-07-25

Having the meta extract and thumbnailer tied to the VideoInfoScanner is no good idea as it will slow down the entire progress, especially on initial scans or imports. An additional function to trigger thumbnailing (and/or meta extraction) should be fine, will chat with the others about it.

If you can't wait for it, a patch is more than welcome Wink

- Hitcher - 2009-07-26

Thanks.

- MDPauley - 2009-07-26

Is there a way in a script to generate a thumbnail if one does not exists? This could be added to the recently added script...

- tmc701 - 2009-08-07

My apologies if this has been requested/discussed previously. I did a cursory search on the forums and trac, but didn't see what I was looking for.

With the Automatic thumbnail generation, there are times that the thumb created is grabbed from a cross-fading scene, resulting in a very ugly thumb capture. Is there a currently available method/technique for re-generating the thumb, having it grab from a different random position? (hopefully creating a cleaner thumb in the process?)

I've attempted a 'refresh' on the offending tv episodes, but the thumb remains the same. Would I need to eliminate the bad thumb first, or would it grab from the same position anyway?

Thanks.

- CapnBry - 2009-08-07

It always grabs from the same time position in the file, 1/3rd of the duration into the file (or 1/3rd of the way into the first file, if the item is a stack)

- Hitcher - 2009-08-07

It would be great if it could be changed to grab key-frames.

Gamester17 Wrote:The difference is that a key-frame has higher quality, which is why you preferably want to grab a key-frame instead of just any frame).

- spiff - 2009-08-07

it already grabs keyframes.

- Hitcher - 2009-08-12

vdrfan Wrote:Having the meta extract and thumbnailer tied to the VideoInfoScanner is no good idea as it will slow down the entire progress, especially on initial scans or imports. An additional function to trigger thumbnailing (and/or meta extraction) should be fine, will chat with the others about it.
Did anything come of this?