Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] XBMC Setup Script - Automatic installation of XBMC for Linux - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] XBMC Setup Script - Automatic installation of XBMC for Linux (/showthread.php?tid=55282)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- prupert - 2010-01-04

osirisjem Wrote:From a Linux Noob

How can I use
This script ... http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=459806&postcount=176
and not the original ...
wget http://www.virtualdanny.net/downloads/setupXBMC.sh

is there a wget command for biptn's latest script ?

Best way is to copy and paste the script into a new .sh file and copy it over via an SFTP program like Filezilla.

If that doesn't work, here is a link to the current script for you to wget:

http://www.prupert.co.uk/images/biptn.sh

- prupert - 2010-01-04

osirisjem Wrote:Seems like this project has more features ?
Samba/FTP etc ?

[LINUX] XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57764

Possibly true, choose the one that you like the look of most. Biptn's installs the minimal you need to get a fully working XBMC up and running.

The one you quoted seems to install other stuff like additional skins and Samba. It also seems a little outdated in that it says Karmic is still in Beta, so I am not sure how up-to-date it is, since Karmic was out of Beta at the end of October....

Choose your poison I guess....

- AlFakher1987 - 2010-01-08

Hey guys!

I installed XBMC like it is shown in the first post os this thread. Everything works perfectly, but xbmc doesnt play 720p and 1080p mkvs fluently.

I updated the graphic chip voa sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-185, but nothing changed.

Can somebody please help me?

- prupert - 2010-01-08

AlFakher1987 Wrote:Hey guys!

I installed XBMC like it is shown in the first post os this thread. Everything works perfectly, but xbmc doesnt play 720p and 1080p mkvs fluently.

I updated the graphic chip voa sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-185, but nothing changed.

Can somebody please help me?

First off, make sure under Settings>Video>Player>Render Method you have selected VDPAU, so XBMC uses your nice nvidia driver.

Second, the most recent version of the nvidia driver is 195, not 185, so update to the latest version and you should be good to go....hopefully.

Also, it does depend on the codec and setting you encoded your mkvs under, so it might be that they just aren't compatible....

prupert Wrote:First off, make sure under Settings>Video>Player>Render Method you have selected VDPAU, so XBMC uses your nice nvidia driver.

Second, the most recent version of the nvidia driver is 195, not 185, so update to the latest version and you should be good to go....hopefully.

Also, it does depend on the codec and setting you encoded your mkvs under, so it might be that they just aren't compatible....

Rendermethod ist set to VDPAU. I updated to 195 first, but then the Revo is not starting to XBMC, its starting to the Ubuntu Terminal. I dont know how to deal with it.

The mkvs all run perfectly smooth via XBMCLive on a USB-Disc.

- prupert - 2010-01-08

Hmm, sounds like the autostart script that runs XBMC isn't working for some reason. Sadly, I don't know much about it.

Can you post your /var/log/syslog so we can see if it says anything thereHuh

If I were you though, since you said you used the original script, not the updated one from biptn, I would start again and use the most recent version of biptn's script found at a link I posted a few messages above. So reinstall Ubuntu and run biptn's script.

A bit extreme, but at least we know that biptn's script works....

prupert Wrote:Hmm, sounds like the autostart script that runs XBMC isn't working for some reason. Sadly, I don't know much about it.

Can you post your /var/log/syslog so we can see if it says anything thereHuh

If I were you though, since you said you used the original script, not the updated one from biptn, I would start again and use the most recent version of biptn's script found at a link I posted a few messages above. So reinstall Ubuntu and run biptn's script.

A bit extreme, but at least we know that biptn's script works....

Okay, where can I get biptnĀ“s script?

- prupert - 2010-01-08

I am pretty sure this is the latest version:

http://www.prupert.co.uk/images/biptn.sh

- surre - 2010-01-11

Hi, just installed this whit linux 32bit, and it works great. My only problem is that it wont find my hd. I read about it on this forum, and I think I know how to fix it. But then I have to go in gnome. How do I start linux normaly in to gnome, when this auto boot is on?

- prupert - 2010-01-11

If you used the script over a normal install of Ubuntu, just exit XBMC using the main menu, and it should drop you back into Gnome.

If you installed a minimal Ubuntu install and then used the script, then there is no Gnome. Exit out of XBMC leaves you with a Openbox desktop, which has basic functions, it isn't a full gnome install - but does give you access to a command line.

- Methanoid - 2010-01-12

prupert Wrote:If you used the script over a normal install of Ubuntu, just exit XBMC using the main menu, and it should drop you back into Gnome.

If you installed a minimal Ubuntu install and then used the script, then there is no Gnome. Exit out of XBMC leaves you with a Openbox desktop, which has basic functions, it isn't a full gnome install - but does give you access to a command line.

Well I installed KK 9.10 Normal and dropped to terminal to to script. It used some colours that could not be read on default terminal settings but I did manage to run it (eventually). It installed after some time but there were numerous problems such as not being able to find a working screen resolution.

So didnt work for me. I'd used earlier scripts with more success so perhaps this has got overly complicated. I'm gonna pop Win7 on my Revo and the Windows XBMC with DXVA acceleration

- prupert - 2010-01-12

The script is desgined for people with just a minimal install of Ubuntu - so only having terminal access, no Windows Manager, GDM or anything else. Trying to run this script on a full Ubuntu install will cause all sorts of problems, since you will end up with two Windows Managers, competing login scripts and all sorts of problems.

Whilst the Win7 solution will work, it certainly aint the cool/geeky way to do things. If you are gonna be re-installing an OS anyway, if I were you, install Ubuntu Minimal https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD then download and run the most recent version of biptn's script.

It is much more resource friendly and you get all the advantages of how much you can customise and hack Ubuntu compared to Windows. Plus, with this setup, the box will boot straight into XBMC, which turns it instantly into a cool HTPC.

- Methanoid - 2010-01-12

prupert Wrote:The script is desgined for people with just a minimal install of Ubuntu - so only having terminal access, no Windows Manager, GDM or anything else. Trying to run this script on a full Ubuntu install will cause all sorts of problems, since you will end up with two Windows Managers, competing login scripts and all sorts of problems.

Whilst the Win7 solution will work, it certainly aint the cool/geeky way to do things. If you are gonna be re-installing an OS anyway, if I were you, install Ubuntu Minimal https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD then download and run the most recent version of biptn's script.

It is much more resource friendly and you get all the advantages of how much you can customise and hack Ubuntu compared to Windows. Plus, with this setup, the box will boot straight into XBMC, which turns it instantly into a cool HTPC.

Try not to laugh but i posted my "whine" on wrong thread. I was using the "new" script on the "other" thread.

Maybe you could advise best course of action.

I have two Ion boxes (one on 24/7 which also acts as media server, download box with SABnzbd and uTorrent) which will be HTPCs using XBMC. The non-server box needs to have power saving options like auto sleep/hibernate and power on using MCE remote.

So if I can still run SAB and Torrent without any desktop then Ubuntu Minimal might be best for me? Obviously Windows is easy enough to do...

- prupert - 2010-01-12

If you have the time and patience to learn, then running it all on Ubuntu minimal is best, since it is very configurable and resource efficient. But you will have to do a fair bit of reading to decide on which programs to use and how to configure them. There are some solution for Torrent when you have no Dekstop, I think one is called ctorrent, but there are others.

Do some Google and see what you can find Wink

Though, if you haven't got the time or the energy, just go for Windoze.

- rflores2323 - 2010-01-12

prupert Wrote:The script is desgined for people with just a minimal install of Ubuntu - so only having terminal access, no Windows Manager, GDM or anything else. Trying to run this script on a full Ubuntu install will cause all sorts of problems, since you will end up with two Windows Managers, competing login scripts and all sorts of problems.

OK so it looks like I cant install ubuntu desktop and then run this script over it b/c it will cause problems.

Can I however have another partition to install the desktop on? if so how can I have xbmc startup first and then pick going to another partition?

Also I want to use samba to share all my files to my network? how can this be accomplished? I assume it would be on the desktop environment and when I am using xbmc could someone else see the shared folders and access them? Or do I have to be logged in to the desktop for them to access the folders?