Kodi Community Forum
[MAC] HOW-TO setup Logitech Harmony Remote for use with XBMC for Mac OS X - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [MAC] HOW-TO setup Logitech Harmony Remote for use with XBMC for Mac OS X (/showthread.php?tid=55660)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- bmorris - 2010-01-03

I have plex, harmony 520, and hulu desktop and dvd player app.
when i exit out of plex to use hulu or dvd player app through plex's app section, the remote stops working.
i have sofa control if that can help?

- streetliquid - 2010-01-03

jpf55 Wrote:Hello everyone,
This post is up to date as of version 9.11 of XBMC and I have made no modifications in the commands, everything is Stock.

By popular demand, here is a complete HOW-TO to control your appleTV-XBMC, this is going to be a long post but hopefully it will solve other people's problems as well.

I have answered some questions in the past about this and kept wondering why some people still had trouble.
First , a bit of history, I have had my AppleTV since they came out and I believe I am the one that had the Logitech people add it to the list of devices. I have never since changed that setup but, as some of you may have read, I did modify the commands within XBMC. Also, I have tried to use the Harmony setup found under Settings>System>Input devices>Apple remote > Multi remote (Harmony) but could never get it to work and now I know why. I had sent a ticket to the XBMC staff to make changes to the remote commands and the ticket was accepted but could never see the changes because I had the wrong setup. Yes, me too, and I apologize for silently doubting the excellent XBMC staff.

Originally, back in 2007, my device in the Harmony setup was called Media Device Centre PC, manufacturer was Apple and model number was MA-711LL/A but I discovered today that there exists another entry for the Apple TV and it is aptly called Apple TV, still under Media Centre PC and still under Apple but as you can see it offers quite a bit more control. Here is a list of commands available under both devices.
Original device: Apple TV (Apple MA-711LL/A)
Newer device: Media Centre PC (Apple Apple TV)

So, anyway, I went back to the Harmony setup and saw that in the device section there was a message saying there was an update for the AppleTV device, I answered yes and updated the remote. OUCH, nothing worked anymore so DON'T DO IT.

Simply create a new device, Media Centre PC > Apple > Apple TV and keep your original one as a backup, just in case.

At this point it would be wise to check your original Apple TV Activity setup and copy down the different input/output settings for the devices. And don't bother trying Copy/Paste, it does not work… Thanks Logitech

Now create a new Activity with your TV, Receiver and the new Apple TV device.

Click Add New Activity, choose "No - manually add Activity" and click Next
Choose Utility and click next new choose "Generic Activity ( Create a custom Activity" and click next and next again
In this screen you will add the devices you need to watch the Apple TV and after that you will be asked for the different input/output settings that you jotted down previously for each device but when setting up the Apple TV, don't select Frontrow, select the second option, the one that says something like "No special setup for this device"

Now still in Harmony, under Activities, choose Customize Buttons and set them as follows:

And lastly, Select the Additional Buttons tab and set them as follows:

Now, update the remote.
You may have to use the Pair/Unpair remote buttons on the additional Buttons screen in the remote for the remote to work but it will. Next you have to go to the Settings > System > Input devices > Apple Remote and select Disable, you will be asked to confirm this and then select Harmony. Again, you may have to use the Pair/Unpair remote buttons on the additional Buttons screen. Lastly, you want to check if the original Apple remote still works and if not, move it close to the Apple TV and keep Menu and the Left button pressed for 5 seconds to Pair it.

And that's it, if everything is to your satisfaction, you could delete your original AppleTV Activity.

I hope this helps some people and wish you all a wonderful New Year and to the XBMC team and contributors, THANK YOU

Edit: Obviously, certain button settings apply only to my equipment, i.e: Stereo receiver and TV

This HOW-TO is for the Apple TV only, not for OSX and using this HOW-TO, you won't have to mod the keymap file everytime you wish to change SVN, everything is built in XBMC

Worked perfectly. Thanks for the guide!

Run Applescript from Harmony - cjedj - 2010-01-04

I have an Applescript to make my system automatically connect to my VPN service.

I've placed it in the My Scripts folder and tested it from the XBMC GUI itself and it works fine. It's called VPN.applescript

Can anyone tell me how to edit the keymap.xml to launch this from the Harmony?

Is it as simple as
Code:
<button id="53">XBMC.RunScript(VPN.applescript)</button>

I tried checking http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml but am getting a 500 error at the moment.

I'll be testing it when I'm back at my Mac later, but if anyone can give me a heads up in advance if this is the right syntax (or if it's even possible), that'd be great!

EDIT: I've now tested this, and it works perfectly.

EDIT#2: I spoke too soon - it works *almost* perfectly. You have to have used the remote at least once since launching XBMC for the button to trigger the script. If not it has no effect. No idea why - anyone else?

- mrt2 - 2010-01-08

mrt2 Wrote:For some reason the directional buttons (up, down, left, right) are respond amazingly slow. I press them and then count a beat then it moves on the screen. Is there any way to fix this? Interestingly enough it seems that the other buttons respond as expected but the directional buttons don't respond when I press them but respond a moment after... Sad

Any ideas on this one guys? Also to note that when I use the Apple Remote, there is no lag.

- lunddal - 2010-01-15

What are your speed settings on the Harmony?

- mrt2 - 2010-01-26

I wasn't aware there was any speed settings lol... where do I find this?

- jpf55 - 2010-01-26

mrt2 Wrote:I wasn't aware there was any speed settings lol... where do I find this?

You'll find those in the Harmony application:

device > settings > adjust delays > next

- mrt2 - 2010-01-26

What should it be set at?

- jpf55 - 2010-01-26

mrt2 Wrote:What should it be set at?

Well, that depends on which Harmony you have but the software will tell you what is too low. I would go as low as possible. It still won't be as fast as the original remote but it makes a big difference.

- BORIStheBLADE - 2010-01-29

Hey guys, Does anyone know if they're is work being done with the Atv so we would be able to set it up with a Harmony remote and get more function out of it?

Im basically looking for a way to use a harmony like you would with a pc running XBMC.

thanks

- ringgh0st - 2010-02-05

hey all. according to the howt @ first page and after reading the rest of the thread i m little bit confused.

what do have to use with my setup: mac mini 10.6.2, harmony one?
the "plex thing" or directly the "mac mini" settings in the harmony software?

answers - xbmchead - 2010-02-06

ringgh0st Wrote:hey all. according to the howt @ first page and after reading the rest of the thread i m little bit confused.

what do have to use with my setup: mac mini 10.6.2, harmony one?
the "plex thing" or directly the "mac mini" settings in the harmony software?
use the Plex Player in the Harmony s/w
and Harmony in XBMC
customize your own userdata/keymaps/Keymap.xml

|-<:)

- ringgh0st - 2010-02-07

xbmchead Wrote:use the Plex Player in the Harmony s/w
and Harmony in XBMC
customize your own userdata/keymaps/Keymap.xml

|-<Smile

clear answer. will do so! thank you very much Wink

- xploid - 2010-05-05

Quick question, does this work on the AppleTV?

thanks!

- MaestroDD - 2010-05-05

xploid Wrote:Quick question, does this work on the AppleTV?

thanks!

nope.
on ATV I'd use the 'Learned remote' feature apple provides...