Kodi Community Forum
[CONCEPT] Concrete - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [CONCEPT] Concrete (/showthread.php?tid=56046)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

[CONCEPT] Concrete - Feanor - 2009-08-08

Here are some mockups for a new skin I've been working on.
I really don't have a clue about coding, so for now it's just photoshop, I'll start by creating all the screens and ideas, and then I'll see if I can learn how to code.
If some coder out there likes this and wants to give me a hand, just let me know, it would be great!

Home menu:

Movie list:

That's all for now... any criticism and ideas are more than welcome!

- Jezz_X - 2009-08-08

Its nice but I really think the angle look will be hard to use effectively day to day

- rwparris2 - 2009-08-08

I love how it looks like print instead of a UI.

Jezz_X Wrote:Its nice but I really think the angle look will be hard to use effectively day to day

True... but who cares, it would look awesome for screen shotsNod

Hopefully you can get a proof of concept coded up so we can show it off in a skinning showcase!

- Feanor - 2009-08-08

Jezz_X Wrote:Its nice but I really think the angle look will be hard to use effectively day to day

I really think that being just a slight tilt, moving up, down, left and right should feel natural, but that's something that can only be tried with some kind of demo...

- jmarshall - 2009-08-09

Looks cool - I think the slight tilt would work fine if you get it navigating well enough (all it is is a static rotation anim on the list I guess).

I like the plain grey then highlighting with different colors.

- Dr Gonzo - 2009-08-09

Wow, I LOVE the look of this. I really hope this gets made. The only criticism I would give is maybe to tone down the concrete in the background.

- Feanor - 2009-08-09

Dr Gonzo Wrote:Wow, I LOVE the look of this. I really hope this gets made. The only criticism I would give is maybe to tone down the concrete in the background.
tone it down how? make it darker? or greyer?

- Dr Gonzo - 2009-08-09

Never mind, looking at it again, it looks good. I just noticed that the concrete frames the plot in the movies list. Looks really great. I love that it looks unlike anything else.

If I knew even the slightest bit about coding, I would help you in a second.

- Feanor - 2009-08-09

Dr Gonzo Wrote:Never mind, looking at it again, it looks good. I just noticed that the concrete frames the plot in the movies list. Looks really great. I love that it looks unlike anything else.

If I knew even the slightest bit about coding, I would help you in a second.

Well, for now I grabbed MS Redux, and started changing the images, fonts, rotating the texts... little by little I'm getting how it's done... I just wanted to try the tilted navigation and for me it works good... Now I'll just keep designing the other views and screens...

It really is a lot of work this skinning bussiness :p

P.S: Jezz, hope it's ok to just code on top of your skin!

- Jezz_X - 2009-08-09

Feanor Wrote:....................
P.S: Jezz, hope it's ok to just code on top of your skin!

Of course man anybody can do anything with stuff I make (as long as its not commercial use of course) Smile

- Jeroen - 2009-08-09

Cool concept. Although I agree on giving it a more subtle tilt. And in the actual content windows I would not tilt it at all. There's some practical things I could see issues with but the idea is good. You could do some nice page transitions by moving the wall around when changing screens.

- Feanor - 2009-08-09

What I think the Now Playing ticket could look like:

To the skilled skinners out there, is there any way to manage the kerning of the labels? I want to compress the text and I'm not finding the way...

- kricker - 2009-08-09

I love it all. I also like how the movies screen is laid out, even tilted like it is. It is sometimes hard to imagine usability until you actually use it. I'd build it just like you have it mocked up then make slight changes if need be. I do think the concrete could be a couple shades darker so the white text pops a bit more. Keep at it.

- Jeroen - 2009-08-09

Feanor Wrote:What I think the Now Playing ticket could look like:

To the skilled skinners out there, is there any way to manage the kerning of the labels? I want to compress the text and I'm not finding the way...

You can't really set the kerning, you could however experiment with the aspect. This will squash the fonts so just use small steps.
You can do this by adding <aspect>0.n</aspect> to the font in fonts.xml.

- Feanor - 2009-08-09

Jeroen Wrote:You can't really set the kerning, you could however experiment with the aspect. This will squash the fonts so just use small steps.
You can do this by adding <aspect>0.n</aspect> to the font in fonts.xml.

Yes, I thought so... that's too bad, I played around a little with the aspect ratio of the font, but being this a skin so based around texts, it really gives it a weird look.
Anyone knows of a software to alter the kerning directly on the ttf?