Kodi Community Forum
User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. (/showthread.php?tid=57681)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

- KoTiX - 2009-09-24

Hi all, I just want to share my experience with dx and gl 23120 build on vista and win 7 with ATI card and Tv connected trough HDMI :

Vista: with builds previous 23xxx, i had the problem of the top black bar on the second monitor but with 23120 it's gone now Smile

On windows 7: I had the same top black bar with 23xxx prior builds, and it's still there with the GL build but it's gone with DX build. Another problem that i have on win7 is that with DX build using xbmc on second monitor every video is displayed on first monitor while the gui stay on second one; this doesn't happen on GL build but i have black bar instead. Sad

- ashlar - 2009-09-24

Dullie Wrote:I tried the 23210 DX build yesterday... And WOW! This is what HD is supposed to be.. The difference between the non DX builds and DX build is huge.. Night and day in my opinion :d
How so if I may ask? It decodes in the same way, how could the difference be night and day, unless you had OpenGL video levels set up incorrectly?

Honest question but needs an answer.

- Phuqz - 2009-09-24

23120dx with Aoen (hitched) on windows 7 Professional RTM 32bit @720p/60Hz

Specs: Asus P5K Premium, Intel E85003 1.6Ghz, 2 x 1GB DDR2 Corsair Dominators, Asus 1GB HD4670, Asus Xonar Hdav 1.3 in a Moneual MonCaso 932 Case, connected over GigE (9k Frames) to 3 x 4TB Synology NAS Servers in RAID 5.

Once I set the auto refresh and adjusted the clock with resampling it's been pretty much flawless for video playback. The only issue really was when playing my first movie the upscaler was set to bicubic which made the picture appear in the lower left hand corner of my screen, changing this to anything else fixed the picture. However after a play around in the menus that stopped happening (wasn't troubleshooting so didn't record what I did) but I can now set bicubic and this doesn't happen.

There appears to be a slightly longer delay when loading movies (.vobs) over the network than the gl build but I can't verify this, its just a gut feel and most likely my imagination. Soundgraph iMon remote has no issues (not that it should).

All in all I've found the DX builds more resilient, for example switching off the main screen the display returns to the 7" LCD in my case automatically, whereas that crashes the xbmc 23120 gl build for some reason.

I tried it on 1080p without issues or slowdown and have messed around with all the shader options etc. again with no problems.

I've yet to see it go bang and that includes a continuous test (didn't sleep last night) of over 14 hours mixed between TV shows, movies and music. 23120 also seems to have resolved the dark movies (lack of brightness) that the previous 2 SVN's had but that could be simply I watched different movies Smile

All in all words can't express how happy I am with XBMC, it has totally transformed my media centre and I've found the later SVN's especially the DX releases more stable (for me at least) than the recommended release.

- azido - 2009-09-24

KoTiX Wrote:Vista: with builds previous 23xxx, i had the problem of the top black bar on the second monitor but with 23120 it's gone now Smile

On windows 7: I had the same top black bar with 23xxx prior builds, and it's still there with the GL build but it's gone with DX build. Another problem that i have on win7 is that with DX build using xbmc on second monitor every video is displayed on first monitor while the gui stay on second one; this doesn't happen on GL build but i have black bar instead. Sad

for vista: does that mean you had - like me - a certain screen portion of lets say 30-50 pixels in height on top of the screen that you weren't able to overscan - and now that is gone? and you had it on dx builds, too? i never had it on dx builds, but on gl.

for win7: nearly the same for me until today for gl builds. dx builds weren't playing video, but audio, and freezed xbmc after video should appear.

- azido - 2009-09-24

tested svn 23120 both dx and gl builds today.

finally, DX builds DO play video in a 2-screen setup, but on screen #1 instead of screen #2 where it should. going back to home screen though shows now playing video inside the gui as it should.

video quality to me seems to be less good compared to my 22516 gl setup, also i need to use zoom to get rid of black borders all around the video.

but it's closer to perfection now, as it no longer crashes upon video startup.

the gl build still gives me a black bar on top.
this is the initial screen:

the marked range on top is the one i still cannot get rid of. overscan does not work here.

according to guisettings.xml, everything should be fine:

PHP Code:
<resolution>
            <
description>1360x768 60.00 Full Screen #2</description>

<subtitles>741</subtitles>
            <
pixelratio>1.000000</pixelratio>
            <
overscan>
                <
left>0</left>
                <
top>0</top>
                <
right>1360</right>
                <
bottom>768</bottom>
            </
overscan>
        </
resolution
but it looks like <top> simply does not go to where it should. instead it's at about 30 instead of 0.
On screen calibration, i can move bottom up so it fits the screen, but i cannot overcome the black bar on top.

Here is a screen displaying paused video where you can see it even better:

as you can see, left alignment is also in need to be corrected. i used overscan on top to demonstrate the disability to remove that black bar.

video playback on GL now plays where it should (screen #2) and beside above issues it has the same quality i get from earlier gl builds.

that's the news so far - over and out.

edit: still referring to Win7 x64. will test it on vista x64 and win xp sp3 soon

- calibra3 - 2009-09-24

hello. I have tried some versions of SVN with DX and GL, and I have the same problems in all this SVN.
the problem is that , when I press the "I" button for see the fanart and the history and actors of the movie, the thumbnail inside this submenu, appear in black.
are there any answer for this little problem?

sorry for my bad english please, I am spanish.

- mcage - 2009-09-24

Installed it yesterday and wheee it's smooth! Feels more responsive then the OpenGL version so far.
Everything seems fine except the much mentioned aspect ratio issue.
Found that it does not use the pixel ratio setting set in the video and screen calibration screen.

Try this: When playing a video and going to the screen calibration (in video player setting) and set the pixel aspect to a maximum (1.5 for example) and when exiting the calibration screen you see a very brief image of the video stretched (as expected!) But imidiately afterwards it jumps back to the original setting!

What's also funny is that somehow movies in 16:9 show fullscreen on 720p but tv shows do not (have to check aspect ratio, but all tv shows I have so far).

Also found I have to set the property fullscreen of my XBMC shortcut to show XBMC fullscreen and not windowed, even if it is set at the screen setting fullscreen in xbmc.

- mcage - 2009-09-24

calibra3 Wrote:hello. I have tried some versions of SVN with DX and GL, and I have the same problems in all this SVN.
the problem is that , when I press the "I" button for see the fanart and the history and actors of the movie, the thumbnail inside this submenu, appear in black.
are there any answer for this little problem?

sorry for my bad english please, I am spanish.

Any specific skin?

- azido - 2009-09-24

mcage Wrote:Also found I have to set the property fullscreen of my XBMC shortcut to show XBMC fullscreen and not windowed, even if it is set at the screen setting fullscreen in xbmc.

i think that's meant to stay like this. there might be circumstances where you need to initially start up windowed even if your default is set to a fullscreen display.

- mcage - 2009-09-24

azido Wrote:i think that's meant to stay like this. there might be circumstances where you need to initially start up windowed even if your default is set to a fullscreen display.

It would as it was windows style windowed.. But it's not.. it's acting as fullscreen (fullscreen xbmc UI size) with a windows border on top so that it doesn't fit screen and you can't resize or close it.

- KoTiX - 2009-09-24

azido Wrote:for vista: does that mean you had - like me - a certain screen portion of lets say 30-50 pixels in height on top of the screen that you weren't able to overscan - and now that is gone? and you had it on dx builds, too? i never had it on dx builds, but on gl.

for win7: nearly the same for me until today for gl builds. dx builds weren't playing video, but audio, and freezed xbmc after video should appear.

Nevermind, you are right, the black bar happens in the GL build on both vista and win 7.
The DX build is unaffected from the "black bar" bug, but the videos in win 7 are played on 1st monitor instead of 2nd one as it should while the gui stay on 2nd.

- nekrosoft13 - 2009-09-24

ok, the 23120 fixed the no digital audio in 23100 bug.

but still another new bug remains.

anyone else have a ghost posters?

[img=http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8836/84478164.th.jpg]

- azido - 2009-09-24

KoTiX Wrote:Nevermind, you are right, the black bar happens in the GL build on both vista and win 7.
The DX build is unaffected from the "black bar" bug, but the videos in win 7 are played on 1st monitor instead of 2nd one as it should while the gui stay on 2nd.

the good thing to hear out of your posting is that i am not the only one being affected of the "black bar" issue Wink

i began to think something is wrong with my setup or hardware (cables, contacts, whatever) as no one ever replied to my issue report on that problem..

- stoli - 2009-09-24

nekrosoft13 Wrote:anyone else have a ghost posters?

[img=http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8836/84478164.th.jpg]

I have the same issue, but wrote it off in part to the way Aeon handles posters - that it will use either the cached thumb or movie.tbn if it exists.

From my debug log:

Code:
DEBUG:   msg: PICTURE::LoadImage: Unable to open image: Z:\Media\DVDs\SD\8 Mile\movie.tbn Error:

Looking at the DialogVideoInfo.xml though, it appears that there is a bug somewhere:

Code:
<control type="largeimage">
            <description>Cover image</description>
            <posx>0</posx>
            <posy>0</posy>
            <width>486</width>
            <height>720</height>
            <texture>$INFO[listitem.thumb]</texture>
            <aspectratio>stretch</aspectratio>
            <visible>!Container.Content(episodes)</visible>
        </control>
        <control type="largeimage">
            <description>Cover image</description>
            <posx>0</posx>
            <posy>0</posy>
            <width>486</width>
            <height>720</height>
            <texture>$INFO[listitem.path]movie.tbn</texture>
            <aspectratio>stretch</aspectratio>
            <fadetime>500</fadetime>
            <visible>!Skin.HasSetting(videotv)</visible>
        </control>

If I understand that correctly, it should be looking for (in order) the cached thumb and then movie.tbn. If movie.tbn isn't there, then the white screen appears. It works fine if you comment out the controls that reference movie.tbn - with one interesting side effect:

http://yfrog.com/0n99966159yp

The texture is removed from the information and the fanart shows through.

Sorry for getting off topic...

- calibra3 - 2009-09-25

yes this is my problem, the ghost posters. only that was more difficult translate to english for me.
I have this issue and I don't know the answer. I suffer this problem with all the skins, not only with aeon( that is the skin that I use)

Any have the answer to this miniproblem? because I like to use the new DX versions ( I use the 22516)

thanksss brothers