Kodi Community Forum
User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. (/showthread.php?tid=57681)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

- Dullie - 2009-09-25

ashlar Wrote:How so if I may ask? It decodes in the same way, how could the difference be night and day, unless you had OpenGL video levels set up incorrectly?

Honest question but needs an answer.

With non DX builds I was never able to play 1080p (high bitrate) properly, my CPU used to hit 100%, with 720p my CPU hits 60%, heck when I was playing mp3's I used to hit 60%... And I tried all combination of shaders with no effect on CPU levels whatsoever..

Now 1080p (High bitrate) reaches 70% max, 720p reaches 30% max... This is night and day to me..

What is your input...?

- patkhoo - 2009-09-25

nekrosoft13 Wrote:ok, the 23120 fixed the no digital audio in 23100 bug.

but still another new bug remains.

anyone else have a ghost posters?

[img=http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8836/84478164.th.jpg]

Confirmed, I'm using 23100-DX and Aeon Showmix and I have the ghost posters..

- nekrosoft13 - 2009-09-25

stoli Wrote:I have the same issue, but wrote it off in part to the way Aeon handles posters - that it will use either the cached thumb or movie.tbn if it exists.

ok, but that is not exactly the issue. when opening the TVshow/Season/Episode information. I can see the poster for brief moment, maybe less then half second. But it is very bright and over the next half the second or so it turns to be completly white.

- stoli - 2009-09-25

nekrosoft13 Wrote:ok, but that is not exactly the issue. when opening the TVshow/Season/Episode information. I can see the poster for brief moment, maybe less then half second. But it is very bright and over the next half the second or so it turns to be completly white.

That's the same issue - I was only addressing it in the case of Movies.

To keep this thread on topic, see my post here for a temporary solution.

- automated - 2009-09-25

Anyone got it to work with ATI and Vista32 yet?

- mindweaver - 2009-09-25

Dullie Wrote:With non DX builds I was never able to play 1080p (high bitrate) properly, my CPU used to hit 100%, with 720p my CPU hits 60%, heck when I was playing mp3's I used to hit 60%... And I tried all combination of shaders with no effect on CPU levels whatsoever..

Now 1080p (High bitrate) reaches 70% max, 720p reaches 30% max... This is night and day to me..

What is your input...?

I can report the same results. both GUI and movie CPU usage has gone down alot!

My main concern is that the aspect is off for some movies. especially 1.78:1 ratio movies. (I would post a screenshot but I can't get the build to produce one. Maybe another bug? )

EDIT: making screenshots is broken :/

EDIT2: Luckily windows print screen works!

- Dudu.exe - 2009-09-25

hoping for a solution on the Aspect Ratio problem!

I have a 3ghz p4 with 1g ram!

and the diference is giant! on GL i had to use external players a lot for many HD videos, now most works flawless direcly on XBMC!

its just FANTASTIC!

- ashlar - 2009-09-25

Dullie Wrote:With non DX builds I was never able to play 1080p (high bitrate) properly, my CPU used to hit 100%, with 720p my CPU hits 60%, heck when I was playing mp3's I used to hit 60%... And I tried all combination of shaders with no effect on CPU levels whatsoever..

What you mentioned: "This is what HD is supposed to be.. The difference between the non DX builds and DX build is huge.. Night and day in my opinion", is easy to mistake for a statement about quality, not performance. And my question went in that direction.

I'm glad if performance is better but this could be less interesting for people that already have enough CPU power to decode whatever stream under the GL build. If, on the other hand, there were quality improvements... well, those would have been of interest for everyone.

I'd be interested in more specific info about your hardware and the content you play. x264 scene releases? Straight BD rips? Average bitrate of the content, highest bitrate of the content?

The improvements you register are awesome and I'd like to understand them better. Smile

Thanks for your feedback!

ashlar Wrote:What you mentioned: "This is what HD is supposed to be.. The difference between the non DX builds and DX build is huge.. Night and day in my opinion", is easy to mistake for a statement about quality, not performance. And my question went in that direction.

I'm glad if performance is better but this could be less interesting for people that already have enough CPU power to decode whatever stream under the GL build. If, on the other hand, there were quality improvements... well, those would have been of interest for everyone.

I'd be interested in more specific info about your hardware and the content you play. x264 scene releases? Straight BD rips? Average bitrate of the content, highest bitrate of the content?

The improvements you register are awesome and I'd like to understand them better. Smile

Thanks for your feedback!

Of course it is interesting if performance is better even for us with good hardware! I have a C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 4 GB ddr2, NVIDIA 9500GT and I see a great performance boost with the DX builds. GUI CPU usage dropped from 70-90% to 7-20% that is a big difference, especially when you run in on a 50" in 1920x1080.

And even if you say that it shouldn't make a difference on movies I do se a difference in 720 and 1080p x264 mkv blu-ray rips. Big drop in cpu usage on them.

- paco - 2009-09-25

mindweaver Wrote:Of course it is interesting if performance is better even for us with good hardware! I have a C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 4 GB ddr2, NVIDIA 9500GT and I see a great performance boost with the DX builds. GUI CPU usage dropped from 70-90% to 7-20% that is a big difference, especially when you run in on a 50" in 1920x1080.

And even if you say that it shouldn't make a difference on movies I do se a difference in 720 and 1080p x264 mkv blu-ray rips. Big drop in cpu usage on them.

Can these results be due to having "Threaded Optimization" enabled on the OpenGL versions? I have C2D 8200 2.66, Nvidia 8500GT (190 drivers) using Windows 7 RTM 32-bit. I have tried both releases and found them to be almost identical in performance. My only quirk with the DirectX release is the aspect ratio issue mentioned a few posts earlier.

- RW2112 - 2009-09-25

Well I am running build 23145 - DX on a Win XP 32 bit system with an Athlon 5000+ dual core, 8200 Nvidia GPU on 190 drivers, 4 Gb Ram.

Watching a 1080P MKV Blu-Ray Rip I am seeing a drop from 95% CPU usage avg with dropped frames down to 65% CPU usage and no dropped frames.

Quite an improvement for my HTPC, very happy!

- Dullie - 2009-09-25

Dudu.exe Wrote:hoping for a solution on the Aspect Ratio problem!

I have a 3ghz p4 with 1g ram!

and the diference is giant! on GL i had to use external players a lot for many HD videos, now most works flawless direcly on XBMC!

its just FANTASTIC!

And one of the advantages is AERO still works with DX and nVidia cards. So, you could use an external player such as MPC HC without tearing..

- Livin - 2009-09-25

anyone else has jaggies on the slideshow when the pics pan/move? I did not have this issue with the GL version.

Have anybody noticed that movies are alot darker (really low brightness/gamma) in the new builds?

- blacklist - 2009-09-25

So, I just tried out the latest builds - has anyone else got an issue with the menu bar show up on the top of the screen even in full screen mode?

Totally kills the experiance.

EDIT:

NEVERMIND Tongue After playing with my video settings i forgot i had it run in a custom resolution. Everything is great.